Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 13:23

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%
Default Feeding boys!

Help! My house will be filled with 13 year old boys tonight for my sons sleepover birthday. What can I serve with hotdogs as side dishes that are not full of carbs? I hate to get fries and chips. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:34

Plan: AtkinsMOD
Stats: 280/230/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

Are your kids doing the WOE too?

Popcorn may be a better choice, maybe bake up some LC brownies, veggies and ranch, there are some lower carb chips such as cheetos.

I guess I would need to know your reasonings for not wanting them in the house. Would you eat them or you have adapted your kids to this woe, etc.

I also have 4 kids, 3 boys, I know what you are going thru
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:49
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I don't know what to recommend - I could say coleslaw - but having spent the last 20 years of my life surrounded by boys I know they want their chips and snacks - especially at a sleepover or party. Even if it was your son that was doing the LC WOE I think that a young person might be given a little slack on a party night or it be left up to him to exercise discretion. If you are looking to serve all LC because you might be tempted I might sound tough but I think maybe just serve the regular kid snacks and do your best to resist. There's always going to be temptations around and if letting your son and his freinds have a good time isn't worth the test what is
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

My son is semi-adapted to this WOE, but I guess when it comes to parties I have to give in. He requested pizza. So we are serving veggies with ranch dip with is and SF soda. Of course we will have regular cake. But I refuse to serve poato chips!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 20:06

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Don't know where you live so these ideas may be too late, hopefully not.

Fried mozzarella sticks (coat w/ egg wash, dip in parmesan)
L/C marinara dipping sauce (Rao's)

Cheese crisps w/ salsa

Melon kabobs w/ cinnamon cream cheese dip

fried chicken wings (no breading or lightly dust w/ Atkins bake mix, salt & pepper)

Cheese fondue w/ fresh vegs for dipping

Sesame chicken nuggets (dip cooked chicken, cut into bites, into a mixture of mayo/onion flakes, roll in mix of parmesan & sesame seeds, bake until lightly browned serve w/ dip of LC maple syrup, Dijon mustard, mayo (get that honey mustard sweetness w/o the honey)

Just a couple of thoughts that I know my (just turned) 14 year old son and friends would like.

Love those growing boys.

Have fun!

Jones
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 21:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hot wings with bleu cheese dip would have been one of my choices as well as pepperoni chips, maybe even with some melted cheese on them.
Not sure how the guys would have felt about pork rinds, but those might have been an option too with some salsa or ranch dip instead of potato chips.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, I think you made a good chioce with the raw veggies and dip, I have 2 boys 15/19, and they have grown up loving veggie plates, often that was what kept them busy til the rest of dinner was ready. But every party they had, always included a big veggie platter, and I was always amazed at how fast it went ! Many kids did'nt get them at home. On the other hand, Hot dogs just don't cut it here any more, not for many years, both of them think, 1 hot dog a year, is one to many, LOL. It's Big honking subs now, and yep they still want that veggie platter.

Enjoy those boys, Cheers Kathy