Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%
Post Coffee & Diet Soda

Is it Ok to have a couple of cups of black coffee per day? Also Diet Sprite. On reading the label it says (per serve) Carbs = 0.2, Sugar = 0. The Artificial Sweetener used is 951 & 950 (whatever that means!!). Cheers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Pamlyn,

A couple of cups of coffee a day are probably fine. Dr Atkins prefers people to give up coffee, but many folk here have continued to drink coffee with no particular problems.

AS for soft drinks, as long as you are not using them instead of the 2 or 3 litres of water you need to drink daily, they are probably fine, too.
Quote:
The Artificial Sweetener used is 951 & 950 (whatever that means!!)

951 is apartame and 950 is acesulphame potassium.
952 is the cyclamates, 954 saccharin and 955 is sucralose (Splenda).

I had a link to the additive numbers in the sticky at the top of the Australia/New Zealand forum, but the link keeps vanishing.

HTH

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 18:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/231/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have not had any problem with coffee, as a matter of fact, it keeps me regular! I do better with diet rite (made with splenda), than I do with aspartame.

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:30

Plan: AtkinsMOD
Stats: 280/230/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

It truly depends on if you are hooked on the caffiene or not. The reason Atkins says to lose the caffiene is being a lot of people have trouble with thier blood sugar levels, it's an addictive substance, caffiene can cause cravings, and it is a stimulant.

I used to drink 2 pots a day and went cold turkey. After the withdrawls, I really do not miss it. But only you know if you are addicted to caffiene, which should be addressed, if it causes your blood sugar levels to drop, if it causes you to stall, or can handle a cup and it will be fine.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:59

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 180/~~/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 93%

I drink about three cups a day and haven't had a problem losing the weight. Coffee does have carbs, about 1 per 8 oz cup, just in case ya didn't know .

Grace
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 23:18

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Carbs in coffee - omg!! Thanks for that, did not know. Back to the drawing board for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 07:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/231/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Pam,

The one carb in coffee is not going to throw you off track as long as you count it. What you need to determine is does the caffeine get you rolling, or does it set you back? Go to www.fitday.com and sign up. This will help you find out where your carbs are coming from. Make sure that you adjust the serving sizes and check all ingredients to be accurate.

Kim
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 22:05

Stats: 168/158/115
BF:32.3%/30.3%/22.1%
Progress: 19%

I know...not supposed to have these things: coffee & diet sodas...but I love them!!! I do find, though, that my consumption dwindles to just a couple cups a day instead of a pot or two of coffee! And...I'm still drinking my water. I had no problem the first time on Atkins - lost 50 lbs. and never gave them up...I just use heavy whipping cream in my coffee instead of any other type of creamer...if it's not available...I drink it black. I think everyone is different, though. I just can't even think of the headaches I would have if I totally gave up caffeine