Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 00:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/192.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:not a clue
Progress: 33%
Default Coffee/Espresso Question

Ok another question. I know we're not supposed to have
coffee but that is difficult for me. I love the taste, smell
and pick up. Remember I have 3 kids! I only drink it black.
I have added a little cream at my 3rd cup.
3 cups is my max. Usually its only 1-2 cups. But I do have to
have it everyday. I realize this will play a role in my weight loss.
I have read some of you are having heavy cream lattes is this
with espresso? Is this better for weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 05:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi, I can sure relate. I have 3 little ones (a 5 year old and 1 year old twins). I've always liked lots of strong black coffee. Now I'm making 1/2 reg. and 1/2 decaf. I drink 2 cups in the morning before working out and I've started having an afternoon cup w/ a pretty squirt of rediwhip on top. I've never liked coffee w/ cream, but this tastes like a real treat. I haven't tried the heavy whipping cream with splenda. The rediwhip is fast (important in my life) and it looks like a party! I'm on OWL not induction. I know coffee is frowned on with Atkins, but for me it's worth it. At least I've cut back by using 1/2 decaf. Christa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 05:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default confessions of a coffee addict

ok: my big out! I am a coffee addict! (and no kids yet!)

for me i have to find a way of life that works; i know it is not "atkins approved" but I have 1 cup in the morn, and 1 cup after dinner. I've cut out all my daytime coffee in place of herbal tea and water.

this is the best I can do!

I use half and half (though you should use cream) but thats way too thick for me and spoils the 2 important moments of my day!

ok, i'm ready to be whipped and punished in the group, but i attribute the rest of the success on atkins (sticking to it, being happy, having energy and loosing weight & centimeters) to having something that works in my life!

nix
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 06:12
Registered Member

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just checked the carb counter, and there are .95 grams of carb for every 8 ounces of coffee...so now i count 2 grams of carbs for coffee being that i drink 16 ounces every morning, (sorry, but I absolutely refuse to give it up). Plus, one tablespoon of heavy cream, and one packet of splenda. so thats about 3 grams of carbs daily for me just for my coffee. I just count that towards my 20 grams per day of carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 06:27

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

I like my coffee in the morning too. I have 2-3 cups (mostly just warm ups). I put a packet of splenda and 1 1/2t of creamers and I add that to my carb count also for the day.

It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss even though I know perfectly well that it's not "legal" on the induction--I just can't seem to give it up. (go ahead and bash me....I know the rules!)

Just wanted to add my 2Cents in....Have a good day!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 06:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you'll find that most people don't stop drinking coffee and do just fine! The important thing is to make it workable for you. If you are losing weight, feel good and are turning your WOE into a permanent lifestyle change, that's what is important!

Some folks give it up for health reasons above and beyond its insulin raising issues, or others because they don't want to be addicted to anything. If you have discovered that you are a massive sugar addict, sweet and creamy treats can become and addiction all on it's own. It's a highly personal decision.

Quote:
I have read some of you are having heavy cream lattes is this with espresso? Is this better for weight loss?

This is a "maybe yes, maybe no" question! If you do need the fat calories, it's a way of getting them, but if you don't need them, then no.

One low carb tool that is great is a whipped cream bomb, like the one made by ISI. It's one great advantage is that you can add sweetener, or flavourings to the cream and avoid the sugar in a commercial whipped cream bomb. May seem pricey at first, but it pays for itself. You get a small amount of cream in a commercial bomb and the ISI holds much more.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 08:33

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi onebzzymom,

I don't know if this is good for weightloss or not but I make lattes using decaf espresso and a mixture of heavy cream and water.

I tried steaming the cream without water, but I had to use too much whipped cream to get the right proportions of cream to espresso.

Try it either way, it's delicious. I count 1 carb for the espresso and .5 carbs for every T of heavy cream. By the way, IMO, it's a good way to keep fat in the WOE.

Magic
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:00
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%
Talking Coffee!

I've drank a TON coffee while on this WOE. (2-3 pots a day) I have cut the cream down to about 3 TBS a day, usually just as a treat. I've found that I've lost better when I don't cut my coffee out (I tried that once)

HTH
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 10:52

Stats: 213/192.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:not a clue
Progress: 33%

Thank you all so much for the replies. I was not counting
carbs for my coffee, but now I am!

I was glad to hear others have been successful while still
drinking their coffee.

Thanks again!

Onebzzymom
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 11:04

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

A note from one more coffee drinking loser. I drink a lot less coffee now but I still have some in the AM and often in the evening. I use the best beans I can find and grind them fresh for each cup. I decided early on I just didn't want to give it up. I am thinking about going to 1/2 decaf beans, though.

Cindy
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Red face My Secret Coffee

Here's what I do:

Brew some Starbucks espresso
Put a few ice cubes in a glass
Add heavy cream
Add enough water to make it about 3/4 full
Add a splash of Atkins chocolate syrup
Add brewed espresso and stir.
This is delightful...it's the only thing I truly CRAVE daily.

Sometimes mid day I go to my favorite downtown coffee place and get a triple decaf espresso over ice. I add their half and half and whatever non sugar sweetener ...more ice to top it off and it's yum! I'm having one right now and it's lovely.

I'm in OWL and do count the carbs towards my daily intake. Much love to all you beanheads out there!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 15:30

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Silvergrl,

WOW, that sounds like an outstanding recipe for iced espresso. I'm trying it later tonight, after I finish all that disgusting water. I imagine it tastes like a mocha chocolate latte.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Funny story I know you'll appreciate - since you love coffee. Several years ago my DH and I vacationed in Italy. Espresso morning, noon and night. Came home and next day, brewed a pot of coffee. (Good beans - from a local coffee bean company) ..... it tasted terrible. I couldn't even drink it, he forced it down. That's when I found the true difference between true espresso and regular coffee.

Needless to say, we bought an espresso machine, but regardless of the beans I use, it's just not the same as Italy. But that's just a memory now and your recipe will probably become my standard.

Magic
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 18:47

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I also drink coffee every day......about 12oz in the morning and 12oz in the afternoon. I have to have very strong coffee with lots of splenda and heavy cream. I just cannot give it up!! I bet over half the carbs I intake daily come from coffee, splenda and cream!!! But, I am losing just fine and am a point where Im not being real strict with carbs, trying to keep them less than 30/day. I also drink 3/4 gallon a water a day too.
When I was on induction (for 8 weeks), I limited my coffee though to 12 oz/day. Tomorrow I think I will get some Stevia though and try that in my coffee....I just dont want to pay $9.99 for a tiny bottle and not like it. But with the amount of Splenda I use it might save me quite a few carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:14
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Wink Ohhh Magic

I tell ya, one day at work I was too busy to dash out for my espresso concoction, so I tried to make do with some coffee we had brewed at work...poured it over ice, added some half and half and sweetener...blech

There is such a difference between regular coffee and espresso. It's quality not quantity