Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 11:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Heart pounding?

Been at this LC for almost six months now. Keep between 30-60 carbs.
Recently though when hungry especially if I have missed breakfast (so a 16 hour fast) my heart seems to give occasional very strong beats. As though it's jumping out of my chest. It just lasts a few seconds and doesn't seem to happen on the days I have breakfast. I think it's possibly a mineral imbalance. Have taken magnesium but actually it seemed worse after that. I have cut back a bit on salt due to hypertension!! Just wondered if anyone could shed some light.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 12:35

Plan: ADF
Stats: 375/235.9/165 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Don't know about the pounding heartbeat in particular, but do you know *for sure* that you are a member of the small minority of people for whom salt is a known issue with hypertension? It isn't for most people and indeed LCers often need to make sure they get *more* salt. On another thread I was complaining about feeling a bit listless and depressed after taking up intermittent fasting, and someone suggested I increase my salt intake. After only two days I already am feeling better!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 13:25

Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Google "All About Fasting". It does mention rapid heartbeat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 15:20

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Another thing to think about--I don't know how old you are, but if it is at all possible that your hormone levels are dropping, that could bring on heart palpitations. It is possible that the mild stress of fasting could be enough to activate it. But I do also agree that for most people, lowering salt intake is not very effective for hypertension. Losing weight, cutting out carbs and sugar will be a lot more effective, and keeping up your salt intake when fasting is important.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 18:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Insulin is what carries the salt into the fat cells. When you have low levels of insulin, your fat stores of salt get depleted...so you actually need more in your diet.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 18:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got palpitations with menopause. Are you getting enough salt now that you're fasting?

Another thought is coconut oil. Been using that? It gives me a rush including a more rapid heart rate.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 19:54
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Low potassium does that to me especially with dehydration. lite salt is 1/2 potassium chloride. ACV in water can also help.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 01:50

BF:

Thank you for replies
I am past all menopausal symptoms.
I did say 16 hour fast but it's not a deliberate fast as such! I just find in the mornings when I am rushing to work I dont feel hungry and would prefer to save my calories/carbs for evening. Doctor didn't actually say cut back on salt, I just thought (with past medical rhetoric) that would be proactive. I have been skipping breakfast on a work day for some time and never been bothered by it, so maybe there is a link with the reduced salt intake.
Interesting about insulin carrying salt, I have been at the lower edge of my carb range recently, so maybe something to do with that. I've never been LC and low salt before!
No coconut oil and I was using the Lite salt with potassium but I cut back on that as well! Measured 5g out this morning after reading the Salt Thread (Nancy LC). It is more than I thought. I imagine that figure is (total) made up with what is in processed food like cheese, Mayo etc! Anyway I plan to go back to my previous salting (which was to taste) and keep an eye of symptoms of low magnesium!

Last edited by esw : Fri, Aug-14-15 at 01:56.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 17:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I bet you needed more sodium! Let us know how it goes.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 01:11

BF:

Making progress with this!
Heart pounding is a lot less obvious although not quite stopped yet. Have went back to a mix of rock salt and Low Salt to taste. Also taking Magnesium Citrate in the evening.
Wondering now if it may have been a culmination of things. Been on small dose Setraline for years, upped that recently. Reading the enclosed leaflet it can cause low blood sodium!! So with me being LC plus reducing salt for BP plus upping Setraline may just have been the last straw. Will continue another couple of days to see if pounding completely gone. If not will speak to Doctor.
Yesterday had to run (at work) and be very active (stressed) for 10 minutes!! I'm one of those people, if you see me running you better run too cause there is something very wrong!!
Anyway thought afterwards that would test my ticker and I have been absolutely fine. Really wondering about the link now to the Setraline!
Edited to add: just noticed I have so much more energy today!

Last edited by esw : Mon, Aug-17-15 at 04:03.