Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 14:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default soy oil more fattening than coconut?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50722144640.htm

Quote:
Soybean oil causes more obesity than coconut oil, fructose
Scientists found mice on high soybean oil diet showed increased levels of weight gain, diabetes compared to mice on a high fructose diet or high coconut oil diet

A diet high in soybean oil causes more obesity and diabetes than a diet high in fructose, a sugar commonly found in soda and processed foods, according to a just published paper by scientists at the University of California, Riverside.

The scientists fed male mice a series of four diets that contained 40 percent fat, similar to what Americans currently consume. In one diet the researchers used coconut oil, which consists primarily of saturated fat. In the second diet about half of the coconut oil was replaced with soybean oil, which contains primarily polyunsaturated fats and is a main ingredient in vegetable oil. That diet corresponded with roughly the amount of soybean oil Americans currently consume.

The other two diets had added fructose, comparable to the amount consumed by many Americans. All four diets contained the same number of calories and there was no significant difference in the amount of food eaten by the mice on the diets. Thus, the researchers were able to study the effects of the different oils and fructose in the context of a constant caloric intake.

Compared to mice on the high coconut oil diet, mice on the high soybean oil diet showed increased weight gain, larger fat deposits, a fatty liver with signs of injury, diabetes and insulin resistance, all of which are part of the Metabolic Syndrome. Fructose in the diet had less severe metabolic effects than soybean oil although it did cause more negative effects in the kidney and a marked increase in prolapsed rectums, a symptom of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which like obesity is on the rise.

The mice on the soybean oil-enriched diet gained almost 25 percent more weight than the mice on the coconut oil diet and 9 percent more weight than those on the fructose-enriched diet. And the mice on the fructose-enriched diet gained 12 percent more weight than those on a coconut oil rich diet.

"This was a major surprise for us -- that soybean oil is causing more obesity and diabetes than fructose -- especially when you see headlines everyday about the potential role of sugar consumption in the current obesity epidemic," said Poonamjot Deol, the assistant project scientist who directed the project in the lab of Frances M. Sladek, a professor of cell biology and neuroscience.

The paper, "Soybean oil is more obesogenic and diabetogenic than coconut oil and fructose in mouse: potential role for the liver," was published July 22 in the journal PLOS ONE.

In the U.S. the consumption of soybean oil has increased greatly in the last four decades due to a number of factors, including results from studies in the 1960s that found a positive correlation between saturated fatty acids and the risk of cardiovascular disease. As a result of these studies, nutritional guidelines were created that encouraged people to reduce their intake of saturated fats, commonly found in meat and dairy products, and increase their intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids found in plant oils, such as soybean oil.

Implementation of those new guidelines, as well as an increase in the cultivation of soybeans in the United States, has led to a remarkable increase in the consumption of soybean oil, which is found in processed foods, margarines, salad dressings and snack foods. Soybean oil now accounts for 60 percent of edible oil consumed in the United States. That increase in soybean oil consumption mirrors the rise in obesity rates in the United States in recent decades.

During the same time, fructose consumption in the United States significantly increased, from about 37 grams per day in 1977 to about 49 grams per day in 2004.

The research outlined in the paper is believed to be the first side-by-side look at the impacts of saturated fat, unsaturated fat and fructose on obesity, diabetes, insulin resistance and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, which along with heart disease and hypertension, are referred to as the Metabolic Syndrome.

The study also includes extensive analysis of changes in gene expression and metabolite levels in the livers of mice fed these diets. The most striking results were those showing that soybean oil significantly affects the expression of many genes that metabolize drugs and other foreign compounds that enter the body, suggesting that a soybean oil-enriched diet could affect one's response to drugs and environmental toxicants, if humans show the same response as mice.

The UC Riverside researchers also did a study with corn oil, which induced more obesity than coconut oil but not quite as much as soybean oil. They are currently doing tests with lard and olive oil. They have not tested canola oil or palm oil.

The researchers cautioned that they didn't study the impacts of the diets on cardiovascular diseases and note in the paper that the consumption of vegetable oils could be beneficial for cardiac health, even if it also induces obesity and diabetes.

They also noted that there are many different types of saturated and unsaturated fats. This is particularly true for the saturated fats in animal products that were associated with heart disease in the studies in the 1960s: they tend to have a longer chain length than the saturated fats in coconut oil.

The latest paper relates to previously released findings by scientists in Sladek's lab and at the UC Davis West Coast Metabolomics Center, which compared regular soybean oil to a new genetically modified soybean oil.

That research, presented at a conference in March, found that the new genetically modified, high oleic soybean oil (Plenish), which has a lower amount of polyunsaturated fatty acid than traditional soybean oil, is healthier than regular soybean oil but just barely. Using mice, the researchers found that the Plenish oil also induces fatty liver although somewhat less obesity and diabetes. Importantly, it did not cause insulin resistance, a pre-diabetic condition. It should be noted that both the regular soybean oil and Plenish are from soybeans that are genetically modified to be resistant to the herbicide RoundUp.

The researchers are now finalizing a manuscript about these findings that also incorporates tests done with olive oil.

I put the question mark on the title because the findings here aren't quite new.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24081493

Quote:
Dietary linoleic acid elevates the endocannabinoids 2-AG and anandamide and promotes weight gain in mice fed a low fat diet.

And they may or may not apply to humans. Some of the same enzymes needed to produce the essential fatty acid DHA from linolenic acid are also needed to produce arachidonic acid from linoleic acid. Plus, the mice are fed a purified diet pretty much devoid of any pre-formed arachidonic acid, epa or dha--so the arachidonic acid precursor for endocannabinoid production pretty much depends on synthesis from linoleic acid, where in humans eating a diet that contains meat, it probably doesn't.

The effect in mice occurs at 8 percent linoleic acid, and not at 1 percent. And small amounts of fish oil block the effect. I'd love it if they'd do a study with arachidonic acid instead of linoleic acid, as well as the fish oil. If the fish oil were protective at that point, it seems a little more likely there might be an application in humans.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-23-15, 22:01

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
The researchers cautioned that they didn't study the impacts of the diets on cardiovascular diseases and note in the paper that the consumption of vegetable oils could be beneficial for cardiac health, even if it also induces obesity and diabetes.

They also noted that there are many different types of saturated and unsaturated fats. This is particularly true for the saturated fats in animal products that were associated with heart disease in the studies in the 1960s: they tend to have a longer chain length than the saturated fats in coconut oil.

Uh, no. Vegetable oils cannot be beneficial for cardiac health while at the same time inducing obesity and diabetes. It just doesn't work that way. Sounds to me like researchers having to tip-toe around trying not to step on the toes of powerful guys (who control sources of their research funding maybe?) who still buy into those worthless cherry-picked association claims from the 60's about saturated fat being the bad guy in heart disease.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 05:04

BF:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...al.pone.0132672

Looking at the study itself--the coconut oil is hydrogenated. Linoleic acid content is listed as 2.2 percent in the groups without soy oil, 10 percent in the groups with. All groups did get soy oil to avoid essential fatty acid deficiency, something that would have been likely if the only fat source was hydrogenated coconut oil.

Quote:
The UC Riverside researchers also did a study with corn oil, which induced more obesity than coconut oil but not quite as much as soybean oil. They are currently doing tests with lard and olive oil. They have not tested canola oil or palm oil.

This is interesting in that corn oil is much higher in linoleic acid than soy oil is. While linoleic acid has been shown to be fattening at about 8 percent of intake, at very high levels, there's a luxusconsumption effect that kicks in, rate of metabolism increases, and it's less fattening.

The lard study will probably be questionable. Grass vs. grain fed beef doesn't really change omega 6 content much, just omega 3, because the rumen bacteria don't let much polyunsaturate get through to the animal itself. Chickens and pigs end up carrying the sort of fat that they eat though, so the difference between lard from pigs eating lots of vegetable oil and pigs eating very little vegetable oil could be big.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 07:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm not surprised that coconut oil is less fattening. I can feel a thermogenic effect whenever I take it. I think it is the MCT's.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 12:35
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Better off I believe, since cutting out the mayo and other dips for my meats. They are all soy based. Butter is better.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 13:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

or make your own mayo and salad dressings... it isn't that hard and tastes miles better!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 14:13

BF:

I'm sort of luck in that when they started using almost exclusively soy oil in processed foods, I stopped liking them. Soy oil tastes just awful to me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-15, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Soybean Oil: Worse than fructose.

at least if you're a mouse--

From Eureka Alert: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...--soc072015.php

Soybean oil causes more obesity than coconut oil and fructose

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - RIVERSIDE

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- A diet high in soybean oil causes more obesity and diabetes than a diet high in fructose, a sugar commonly found in soda and processed foods, according to a just published paper by scientists at the University of California, Riverside.

The scientists fed male mice a series of four diets that contained 40 percent fat, similar to what Americans currently consume. In one diet the researchers used coconut oil, which consists primarily of saturated fat. In the second diet about half of the coconut oil was replaced with soybean oil, which contains primarily polyunsaturated fats and is a main ingredient in vegetable oil. That diet corresponded with roughly the amount of soybean oil Americans currently consume.

The other two diets had added fructose, comparable to the amount consumed by many Americans. All four diets contained the same number of calories and there was no significant difference in the amount of food eaten by the mice on the diets. Thus, the researchers were able to study the effects of the different oils and fructose in the context of a constant caloric intake.

Compared to mice on the high coconut oil diet, mice on the high soybean oil diet showed increased weight gain, larger fat deposits, a fatty liver with signs of injury, diabetes and insulin resistance, all of which are part of the Metabolic Syndrome. Fructose in the diet had less severe metabolic effects than soybean oil although it did cause more negative effects in the kidney and a marked increase in prolapsed rectums, a symptom of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which like obesity is on the rise.

The mice on the soybean oil-enriched diet gained almost 25 percent more weight than the mice on the coconut oil diet and 9 percent more weight than those on the fructose-enriched diet. And the mice on the fructose-enriched diet gained 12 percent more weight than those on a coconut oil rich diet.

"This was a major surprise for us - that soybean oil is causing more obesity and diabetes than fructose - especially when you see headlines everyday about the potential role of sugar consumption in the current obesity epidemic," said Poonamjot Deol, the assistant project scientist who directed the project in the lab of Frances M. Sladek, a professor of cell biology and neuroscience.
Discussion from the end of the PLOS article:

There is currently considerable debate in both the scientific literature as well as the lay press as to which components of the American diet are the most obesogenic. Since diet studies in humans involve a large number of variables, most of which cannot be properly controlled, in this study we used mice and precisely defined isocaloric diets to compare the metabolic effects of saturated fat from coconut oil, unsaturated fats from soybean oil and fructose. To our knowledge, this is the first study not only to compare the effects of these three dietary factors in mice, but also to perform genome-wide expression profiling and metabolomics analysis of livers from animals fed a soybean-oil enriched diet. Our results indicate that, contrary to expectation, PUFA-rich soybean oil is more obesogenic and diabetogenic than coconut oil which consists of primarily saturated fat. They also show that fructose is less obesogenic than soybean oil and reveal a striking fatty liver morphology induced by soybean oil as well as a global dysregulation of Cyp genes and disease-associated genes and metabolites in the liver. These effects in the mouse liver could be clinically relevant as NAFLD, a component of the Metabolic Syndrome, is estimated to be present in 20–30% of adults in the U.S. and 3–10% of children

This is the PLOS article:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...al.pone.0132672

Very lengthy and detailed study. Some jargon but a lot is pretty plain English. PLOS is pretty amazing. A lot of the data is appended if you'd like to look at the actual raw data from the study. Not that I recommend it...

I guess the problem with soybean Omega-6 oil is the pro-inflammatory nature of it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 07:46

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

soybean oil vs coconut oil, thats a no brainer
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 10:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good to know!

I am going to make sure I don't buy mayo with soy oil any longer.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 11:58

BF:

Doesn't surprise me... farmers feed soy oil to animals they want to fatten.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 12:38

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

As I more and more eliminated these kinds of highly unbalanced seed oils from my diet, I started to have an inflammation reaction when I did consume them, which helped me cut down further.

For those without the time (or in my case, the energy) to make their own mayo (I'll go back to it when I get better) the new mayo Mark Sisson is selling, Paleo Mayo, is FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC.

Pro: made with avocado oil Con: $10 a jar

http://www.onestoppaleoshop.com/pro...CFUgWHwod3AUGDg

But you can get three jars, for free shipping, and it's worth it. I eat a lot of seafood and mayo is a staple.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 17:46

BF:

Hmmmm, this mayo is advertised for those who don't have time to make... funny thing is, it takes only a few minutes, less than five, to make mayonnaise!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 20:27

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
Hmmmm, this mayo is advertised for those who don't have time to make... funny thing is, it takes only a few minutes, less than five, to make mayonnaise!
Or two minutes if you have an immersion blender and pint mason jar. My favourite 10 second solution is to mash a ripe avocado and use like mayonnaise (add lemon or lime juice if you are not eating it all at once).
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-15, 20:29

BF:

Ooooh, great idea.... I never thought of that. thanks for the tip!