Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 10:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%
Talking Hey all, I an Atkins Newbie! =D

Hey there!

I came across this bulletin board while I was searching for some Atkins stuff....I started reading around and found some useful information, but I still have some unanswered questions, so I figured I should post =)

I am 21 years old and I am from Florida. I have struggled with weight all my life. I've tried diets here and there, but I just didnt have the patience. Most recently, I tried a diet my Aunt had recommended called "Trim" and there is weekly menus which each meal is planned out. I thought it would be easy, because I knew ahead of time what I would be having or have to make. However, I got lazy and didn't feel like cooking the meals, and didnt care for many of the combinations, and I cheated quite bad ly .....So, after talking to some close friends who said they just started Atkins, I decided what the hell I'll give it a try.

The only thing I was worried about was the massive amounts of eggs and meat and high fat and cholestorol. I dont have the book at the moment, but I know none of that stuff matters...My mother keeps telling me how is a "diet" eating all this high fat, pork rinds, eggs, and tons of meat? She just doesn't understand....

In any case, here is the deal... I started Atkins a week ago, on March 15, 2003. I weigh myself like 2 times a day cause i'm an idiot lol, but it keeps fluctuating so much between like 3-4 or 5 lbs....I just wanna make sure I'm doing this right =) The first couple of days I wasn't hungry at all, and I wasn't even eating that much, but now, I seem to be hungrier =/ I am taking one a day weight smar multi vitamin with green tea extract.....

For instance:

I bought atkins shakes, reading 1g carb on the front, and the atkins advantage bars, reading 2-3g on the front....

These are the things I have been eating:

Morning (typically, not every day):

3 eggs with cheese, 3 sausage, 3 pieces of bacon
OR 1 atkins shake, or nothing if im on the run
**How many eggs a week is too much?** =/

Lunch:

Hot dog or turkey slices, salami, ham, all reading 1-2carbs on the back.... with mustard....Usually deli meat of some kind

Snacks: Beef jerky, pork rinds(eww), celery sticks with cream cheese

Drinks: seltzer, diet sprite, water

Dinner: for instance, last night I had 2 cheese burgers that I coooked on the george forman grill, and a bowl of asparagus tips reading 1 carb per serving and there was 2 servings in the box and I had the whole box....Or, chicken breast with cheese, dipped in some taco bell hot sauce (0 carbs)! Or Chicken of some sort, Steak..IS eating too much red meat VERY bad?

Late night snack: Decaf Tea with cream and splenda, and some whipped cream on top, or sugar free jello with whipped cream....

I mean this is typical stuff I have daily.....I try to alternate, chicken and beef and stuff like that cause i'm afraid of too much beef ...yesterday I bought the Atkins bake mix and made a loaf of bread, its more cakey then bread, but i was able to cut a little less than 1 inch slices, pretty thick, but i am not sure how much carbs there are in one slice...On the box it says a loaf is like 24 grms of carbs or something but im not sure...Anyone know?

Also, the bars say 21g carb on the back, but net 2 or 3 on the front, so I wanna make sure thats right....

I guess I'm paranoid, although its only been a week, I have stuck with it and haven't cheated =) I just so wanna lose the weight and make sure I am following this right....The scale doesnt show that much weight loss in the one week period..... Maybe like 2 -3lbs if even....

I know they say u can eat as much meat, cheese, and eggs as you want......But how do you know if it is too much? For instance, the sausage says 1 carb on the back, but it has sugar in the ingriedients =/

Is there any place I can find liek an outline of what I **should** be eating daily to lost the most optimal amount of weight?

Well, this is long enough, sorry to go on and bore, but I think overall I need support...hehe

Hope to get to know you all well, and help out where I can....

Stay well all and GL and thanks,

Toe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Welcome toeie. I would not recommend weighing yourself two times a day, or not even everyday. That could just set you up for frustration and disappointment. Once a week is good. This is coming from one who was a slave to the scale for nine months. I weighed myself every day. Also, I don't know if you're a female.....the TOM can cause you to gain two or three pounds beforehand and during.

Since you don't have the book yet, read everything you can at the Atkins website. Good luck LCing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:06

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default welcome to group

Toe.
It is great you are going to join us to lose weight and get fit.
I started Feb 1 and Lost 10lbs. I have lost Nothing Since Feb 23 and at a long stall. Iam having a very hard time with not losing.
I did check my keytones. and still burning. {That means burning fat. Just got to get this body moving that will help. But boy iam so very close to just doing my own diet to lose wt. and then go back to atkins to keep it off. But i dont know yet what to do. Iam just about ready to cry.
Oh will i know u will make it. this group helps. Go to the chat room and get talking to us. it helps.
But toe.
You are NOT to have shakes and bars while on interduction. That could keep u from losing and maybe gain. So get off them. Read the book. you must do to letter. But hey. iam doing to letter and look at me ha Still stalling. ha. what do u gals think?? No shakes or bars for while. Interduction goes for at least 14 days. Or you can go longer. iam still on interduction. will take care.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hi Toe...

Sounds like you've got the right excitement going to kick off a good induction! The decision to do it is the first part of the success!!

Let me give you my spiel... ... to make this the most effective jumpstart, there are a few things:

First...NO atkins bars, shakes or mixes for the induction time! I know...bummer...but these products are not allowed right now, and even afterwards, they tend to be "stall" foods for many. Later down the road when you're really losing, you can try a bar here or there and see what it does for you. But they're a real no-no for most of us

Your menu foods look fine...don't worry about too many eggs or too much fat...no counting calories or anything right now... however... WATCH the amount of processed meats, because they are loaded with stuff and can also impact our loss... you ar right to question the sugar content...easy on them. If you can have just the sausage OR the bacon you'd be better off...add a small veggie or another egg if you need more food for breakfast.

Instead of my 2 scrambled eggs with bacon/sausage, now I usually have 2 egg omelet with last night's veggies, add some mushrooms, a little cheese on top, maybe some sour cream... I make it a "BIG" plate but without the breakfast meats now. But don't worry about too many changes, that's just a thought for later.

DRINK your water!!! Keep flushing out your system...and it's great for the skin too!

Add veggies...a big salad for lunch with a scoop of tuna salad, or some ham and turkey, cucumbers, etc. with your favorite dressing... the lettuce is good fiber - hard to have too much of it, and you can still have more veggies with dinner.

I know it's crazy...but it's the FAT that you want in your diet! The science is that your body is changing from a carb-burning system into a fat-burning system... but it can only do that in the absence of carbs. Thus, we limit them severely, then build them back up to a maintenance level. The fats serve a couple of purposes...one is to satiate your system and cut the cravings for carbs! Don't be afraid to add butter to the pan...

You CAN eat too much on Atkins. This may be a bit controversial, but I know why I didn't lose for so long. Remember, LEGAL doesn't mean UNLIMITED...just until you've had enough. Many of us track our carb and fat percentages, so...

Check out fitday.com -- it's a great way to track your foods, totally free and will break down all your numbers for you!

Also, start a journal! It's a GREAT way to socialize around here...track your progress and give you a place all your own.

Congratulations on doing so well so far!! You're in the right place for support, motivation and lots of great info... check in often!

Good luck!!

Last edited by DDMariana : Mon, Mar-24-03 at 11:10.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:15

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Toeie,
Welcome to the world of Atkins I think you should buy the book I think I paid around 6 dollars for mine. If you can't get the book you can go to http://www.atkinscenter.com and they have most of the information there. The one thing is induction has to be followed exactly or it doesn't work. You are eating alot of processed meat and the salt level is very high you maybe retaining alot of water weight. Pat S
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:23

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi toeie,
Great to have you here. Stick around the boards here, these people have great ideas and lots of support.

So I would make sure I read the book, and fully understand it, stop by here regularly for a boost and support. Try to stay away from the scale as much as possible. You will drive yourself nuts weighing all the time.

Good luck! And keep the spirit up!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:27

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Cool

All of the above is good advice, and yes, Atkins really works, but they are right, you have to follow it pretty precisely. No bread, etc. If you go to www.atkinsnutritionals.com you'll find all the details for induction and the other 3 phases.

If you really are seriuous about losing weight and being healthy for the rest of your life, you'll do it! Hang in there we're all with you!!

#8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:42

Stats: 250/192/190 Male 71 Inches
BF:25.4/20.2/18.6
Progress: 97%

Hi,

Sounds like you are on the right track but watch those Atkins bars.

I would like to comment on the cholesterol issue. I have been on Atkins since Christmas. So far I have lost 44 pounds.
I am a bacon junkie. I can eat 1-2 pounds in a sitting, three or four times a week. I also like my prime rib, ribs, lots of eggs and plenty of cheese.
When I started the diet, I heard the same things about eating sooooo much fat and having a heart attack from the cholesterol.

Here are my stats:

I had my blood tested before going on the diet.

Total cholesterol : 250+
Bad cholesterol : 197

I again tested last week.

Total cholesterol : 187 (The normal is 200)
Bad cholesterol : 133 (The normal is 130)

My doctor is ecstatic about the results and is very supportive about the diet.

Keep in mind that no matter what diet you are on, you will find people that feel negative and positive towards the plan. You need to research it on your own and decide for yourself.

Keep up the good work . Just watch those bars!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:56
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi...

You may want to think about staying a while and starting a journal. It is great to post your menus and thoughts....

Give you a way to be accountable and gives us all a chance to know you better.

All the best to you.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:59

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard Toeie!

You need to buy the book and read it! You need to educate yourself about this way of eating, so that when nay-sayers tell you it's unhealthy, you won't cave in and give it up. You'll be armed with scientific information on just how the diet works, and how safe and healthy it actually is.

Last edited by JimR-OCDS : Mon, Mar-24-03 at 12:00.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:08
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hey...nice going, Csharp... on the cholesterol results!! You should post a separate thread on that in the General Low Carb section...

So many newbies wonder about this...and don't realize that this WOE is actually BETTER for your health, not a risk. My bloodwork is much improved too...not to mention the migraine condition that is under control (unless I fall off the wagon!)

LC'ing is not a diet for me...but a great new way of eating for life!

#12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 13:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%

WoW! Thanks for the reply! I'm really starting to feel better =)

I have been eating the bars for the past week because they are all so yummy =( 1 a day.....

Now I feel like i should smack myself....
I'm gonna try to get the book asap!

Hmm processed meat is the deli right? I mean I figure thats meat, so let me get this straight.......For example:

Breakfast:

Eggs and Bacon OR sausage....

Lunch: Salad, with a little bit of turkey?

Dinner: Any Chicken, steak , or ground meat?

Snacks: Celery with cream cheese, pork rinds (which taste bad but are crunchey lol), beef jerky, sugar free jello ok?

and Tea with cream, splenda, and whipped cream ok?

Just trying to get the right foods down =( Damn those bars were good lol ....Oh well =)

I have a general journal on another site, like a diary thing....What kind of journal do I do here?

I signed up at fit day, but the stuff you can pick from isnt necessarily the brand i got, just general and I know it varies, but I gotta update that =)

You guys seem very sweet and helpful, and yes I am a female =)

If anyone has a good shopping list I could see I would love that, cause going to the grocery store gives me a headache, and I never know what exactly to buy.......

Thanks again for all the support! **hugs**

Love,

Toe =) aka Tovah (real name) hehe
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:24
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Here is a list of allowed foods to get you started. But the book really will help you understand so much more.

Also, Jerky is allowed but usually contains sugars so avoid during induction. Pork rinds allowed but like the deli - contains much salt so have extra water to flush....

And big advice - take measurements now because this way of eating really shows in inches.

All the best.