Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 09:03

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default CAlling all 20 somethings for Support

HI

I was hoping to start a challenge or support group specific to those of us HAVING a hard time LOSING on their WOE and in their twenties.

I am a 25 year old female from Toronto who is back on atkins a second time. THis time however I haven't lost a pound on induction and its just frustrating. I excercise, i drink tons of water, I've been doing atkins very strictly like the book says, no aspartame or sweetners, no alcohol, no nuts, no bars or shakes, just simply proteins, fat and veggies.

I thought when we are in our twenties its not difficult to lose weight and maintain. BUt its wierd, Up until last year I have always been able to lose weight as long as I watched what I was eating and excercised. Then this year its been depressing with the struggle I am having. I don't ahve alot to lose but 20 pounds to me is significant. I want to feel more energetic, healthier and lighter.

So I invite all the twenty somethings to join this thread and LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!

BTW ANYONE FROM TORONTO CANADA???

Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 09:07

Default HEre are my goals

MY GOALS:

LOng term:
Lose 20 pounds
reach a Size 5/6
lose body fat>>>>> from 22% to 17 %
increase my confidence/self esteem
feel more energetic

Short term:
Lose 5 pounds in the next 3 weeks
learn to cook more creatively
stick to the induction phase
excercise 4-5 times per week ( spinning, weights, cardio)
take a yoga class for stress management

Those are my goals thus far. what are your goals?

Piera
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 18:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Piera!

I'm originally from Mississauga, now living in the Niagara area.

I've been stuck between 135-140 lately, but I know why. <b>Too much cheating.</b> I'm just having a hard time staying motivated, since I've been bouncing around for so long. I can't seem to want it badly enough to give up the little cheats.

I'm on a bit of a roll right now, I really hope I can keep my momentum.

My general goal: to stay at 50 g or less of effective carbs per day

Specific goals:
- drink at least 60 oz of water per day (and cut back on the diet pop)
- take all my supplements every day, including psyllium
- eat my veggies, even when I'm not in the mood for them
- no more impulse cheating!
- maintain my resistance training
- start walking again, when the weather co-operates (will it ever be spring? )

That's about it for now... check in with you soon!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/150/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Hi all!

Hi!
I'm 25 and am having a hard time staying motivated as well. It's that last darn ten pounds. They just don't wan't to shift! And yesterday, with no noticable change in my diet, I slipped out of ketosis. I cheated yesterday evening, but I was already out of ketosis in the morning. I'm thinking of going back to induction, but I don't know if I have the will power for it again.

I love the Niagra area (especially the gardens). Calgary is too dry and the growing season is too short to get such greenery and beautiful gardens.

Good luck everyone!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 23:36

Question Anyone HAD their THYROID checked??

Hi girls

great to see your replies. I too cheated the last two days. I had completed induction and not lost an ounce after being very very strict . I had no nuts, no bacon, no cheese. no artificial sweetners, and tons of water. And still no loss, actually gained a pound. SO I got upset and caved. BUt I'm determined NOT to give up. I wil be back on track tomorrow. MY gym clothes are already in my bag by the door so tomorrow morning I can jet to the gym.

I really want this to work. I perhaps didn't take into account the second week of my induction being TOM. But the first time I did atkins I lost regardless. And the first time I wasn't soo strict?!!?? I'm stumped.

I am however going to make a trip to the doctor this week. I wnat to get my thyroid checked. I suspect I may have hypothyroidism. NOt sure, but I will keep you all posted. By the way.. HAVE ANY of YOU had you thyroid checked? and if so what exactly happened and what were your results? thanks for listening. And lets really keep in touch here)

Piera
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 06:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 132/117.5/118 Female 5'4.5"
BF:30%/21%/19%
Progress: 104%

Hi!

I'm 28 and struggling with those last pounds, too - I live 2 1/2 hours north of Toronto in cottage country, and the idea of the 24th of May weekend and bikini season has me newly motivated!

Did your cheating budge the scale at all? That's happened to me a few times. Not sure if it's just water weight though.

My goals:

Loose last 6 pounds in the next two months
Loose 1 inch off each inner thigh (now there's a life-long dream!)
Add weight training to my fitness routine
Cut alcohol down to 1-2 drinks a week.

My favourite cheat has become the Sublime Truffles from the new Low Carb Comfort Food cookbook - and it's not too bad for a cheat! I modified the recipe so that each one is 1 carb - but man, it tastes like 10! Hopefully those little 'treats' at the end of the night help me stay on track.

Kristine, what kind of resistance training do you do? I'm too far away from any gym to go out, but I am trying to add stuff at home.

AmieQ
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 09:09

Cool WHAT DID ALL OF U HAVE FOR BREAKFAST?

HI Amie,

I'm not sure if the cheat casued a gain, I'm not stepping on tat scale for at least another two weeks. I started over today, and I hope to really give this my best.

I weight train about 4 times per, go the gym about 5 times per week and remain very active. So it was really strange for me to see no loss on the scale during my first two weeks. BUt I've got persist.

I had one fried egg with steak for breakfast and am now off to the gym. I am playing on doing chest/ back and biceps circuit and 40 minutes of cardio. i brought some tuna with mayo as my lunch , just in case I don't find anyhting to eat when I'm out. I find thats soo much easier.

I'm planning to go to the grocery store afterwards so I can get some things i"m out of. Tuna, canned salmon, mayo, decaf tea, bacon.

have a great day all!! BY the way WHAT DID ALL OF YOU AVE FOR BREAKFAST??

Piera
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 11:46
Registered Member

BF:

Isn't it funny that the only people who have replied so far are Canadian.

Well I finally came up with a good list of short term goals:

-loose 5lbs before my birthday (May 15)

-Start going to the gym. (I find gyms very intimidating. I went for a while with my boyfriend, but when he stopped so did I. I have a one month free trial pass to world health club, so the only thing stopping me is fear.)

-wear the slinky dress I bought in Cuba out dancing. (I just need to be a little firmer in the midriff.)

As for breakfast, I haven't quite dragged myself downstairs for breakfast yet, but when I do I plan on having hot flax meal cereal. (1/4 cup flax meal, 1/4 cup tvp, 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1tbs cream, 1/2 tbs crushed almonds, 1-2 tbs davinci SF caramel syrup, 1/2 cup boiled water)
I'm planning on bacon and eggs for lunch so I needed a non-egg breakfast.

Hmmm...I'm just trying to decide if a high of 8 °C is warm enough for rollerblading.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 11:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default A great idea?

One of my boyfriend's old university pals has lost 40 lbs on a LC diet. When he started to lose alot of weight he started to have a difficult time staying in ketosis, despite his low carb count. He decided it was because he wasn't working as hard by carrying around that extra weight. He had a great solution. He bought leg weights and wears them every day under his clothes. This worked for him.

I think this is a great idea. I bought a 5lbs set and tried them yesterday while running around the house and going for a walk. I'll let you know how this works out, but what a great way to get in some extra excercise while at school or work.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 05:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 132/117.5/118 Female 5'4.5"
BF:30%/21%/19%
Progress: 104%
Default Yea! One pound down!!

Fingers crossed that it wasn't just water weight, but I'm down one pound this morning! Hurrah!

I decided I wasn't eating enough for breakfast, so Thursday I started eating two eggs, scrambled, and two slices of bacon. Much better. I work out first thing in the morning and I was burning through the cottage cheese and fruit combo so quickly that I may as well not have eaten!

Also just started drinking President's Choice Moroccan Green Tea. Have you tried it? It really is as good as in a Moroccan restaurant, and I feel as though I am detoxing with it. I think it's carb-free - sweetened with Stevia.

You'll laugh - I just dug out a Thighmaster that I bought at a garage sale two years ago, and downloaded the exercises yesterday. I can hardly raise my arms to shoulder level today! Piera, do you think your weight didn't change because you were adding muscle? Or had you been working out all along?

Laura-Lyn, have you picked your day to start at the gym?

Amie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 05:39
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Well Hello

Hi can I join in I just turned 30.... But I was 20 something when I started and you don't have any US representitives so far.

I did really well for a while and started messing around cheating about 10 pounds from goal did CAD Nov and Dec then flat out went off plan jan and feb.

So I am back:
- trying to eat strictly real food
-mainly protein and low carb vegies and butter and salad dressing
not doing well on the water and exercise like i was at one point

But I have been back on plan 8days and lost 8pounds
YEa!!! No cheating for me until at least 5 pounds from goal

Oh well I hope I'm not too old for this thread...have a great day!!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 13:28

Default Hi Becca

Becca! Your from Arizona?? AWESOME. YOUR so welcome here. I've been so wanting to visit that state. Actually was considering moving there from COLD Toronto!! BUt I keep chickening out. It would be a bid change for me and I haven't had the courage to do it. Some people have advised me not to go there to live. They say things like its all desert, too hot , not much night life, boring. BUt I really can't believe that. I've read that Arizona is the fastest growing city ina ll if the U.S. ANd I LOVE HOT weather, I've got mediterranean blood, I'm really not ment for cold canadian winters. OH well..

Great to hear your 8 pound loss!! Thats awesome. I didn't have those results but I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds by the end of June. I think thats a realistic goal. I've been struggling with weightloss for about a eyar now. I used to be able to lose weight no problem. Now it seems anything I try doesn't quite work so quickly. I am definitely getting my thyroid checked this week. I have a feeling I may have hypothyroidism. My doctor will be back from a conference in california tomorrow. So hopefully she can take me soon.

As for atkins I am back on track full. I had an egg for breakfast, salmon and salad for lunch and dinner will probably be grilled veal with veggies and butter.

I went to the gym and worked out. I changed my program. I designed one that will be low weight , high reps and little rest in between sets. It was more like a cardio endurance circuit today than anything. It was fantastic. Iw orked CHEST/BACK/BI"s. Did three different excercises, 20 reps each, 3 sets, back to back little rest. I also did 40 minutes on the epiliptical. I feel great!! Take care all an dkeep in touch!

Piera
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 13:54

Default HOW ABOUT AN APRIL CHALLENGE???

OK ALL OF YOU

HOW ABOUT AN APRIL WEIGHTLOSS /EXCERCISE CHALLENGE?

HERE IS THE CHALLENGE:

*Stay on atkins plan with 20 or less grams of carbs( if your past induction than stay at your chosen number)

*DRINK at least 2 litres of water a day

*EXCERCISE at LEAST 3 times per week (any form of excercise that gets you moving for one full hour!)

*NO caffeine, NO aspartame

*Keep active throughout your day IE take stairs, walk dog, park the car further so u have to walk more ect ect.

*Record meals and excercise on FITDAY. Keep nutrient ratios appropiate to your phase in atkins IE INduction: 70% fat, 25 %protein, 5% carb.

*INCLUDE some 'ME" time druing the week where u can relax, stretch , yoga, meditate, long bath whatever it is for YOURSELF that find enjoyable and relaxing. (stress management is the goal here

SO WHO IS IN???

Please post your name, start weight,height. goals for the month of april, measurements if you can or like.

Your goals can be numerous. IE: lose an inch off waist, stick to induction, remain in ketosis, fit into a pair of shorts that are snug, lose 5 pounds, bench press 70 pounds, or run 5 miles 4 times per week. Lower body fat%, ect ect. WHATEVER. Just think about your goals, GET SPECIFIC. and post them all with the above info. That way we're accountable and we can stick togther Throughout the mopnth of april try to check in a few times a week with updates, concerns, questions, and above all for SUPPORT and MOTIVATION.

GOOD LUCK

Piera
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 16:04
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Everyone! I also live in Toronto. I started Atkins on February 19th and have been on it ever since and never cheated. I have only lost 6 pounds in total.

When I was on Induction I lost only 3 pounds and then gained back to. Then I was losing and went down to 172 then went back up to 175 and when I weighed this weekend I was back down to 172.

I drink 4 litres of water per day. I never consume caffeine and aspartame. I am very lazy about preparing meals. I hate cooking. I use fit day to record my carbs and othere ratios.

I have noticed a difference in when I try on clothes that previously were too small. I wish the scale would be more cooperative.

I tried to start BFL week before and after the leg workout I could barely walk. I did it for a week and last week I got sick so I stopped working out but I stuck with Atkins.

I want to lose 52 pounds (I weigh 172 lbs...my lean body mass is 96 lbs...and would like to lower my body fat to 20%). I needed help figuring out a workout that I can to with both weights, abs and cardio in order to achieve this. Can anyone help?

I need help with easy to prepare foods. I am lactose intolerant so although I enjoy cheese I may have to keep away.

I would love to do the April challenge.

Name: red
Height: 5 feet 1 inch
Goals: I want to have realistic goals...hope those are; please tell me if the are not.
Losing 10 pounds
Losing 3 inches off my waist
Lose 2 inches off my thighs
Lower my body fat by 5%
Workout with weights, abs and cardio
(3 times week weights...especially legs,
3 times week cardio)

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Mon, Mar-24-03 at 16:09.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 16:40

Stats: 204/176/130
BF:?
Progress: 38%

Hi Everyone!
I'd love to get in on the April Challenge.

My name is Cher. I'm 23 and finishing up graduate school in upstate NY ....only 8.5 more weeks in the classroom!!!! Yeah!

I am 5'7" and am currently at 180....I would like to be between 130 and 140 eventually
A mini goal of mine is to drop 20 pound by the beginning of July.

My April goals are:
1) exercise 3-4x/week (walking, UE toning, abs)....I have active RA, so exercise is always a challenge.....hard to find that balance between rest and exercise that is a necessity.
2) lose 5 pounds
3) lose 1" off of my waist and 1" off of my hips
4) minimize cheat over Easter weekend (I'm going to my grandparent's to visit.....not an easy thing to do foodwise, but I will avoid all candy and things I know are sugary.....there should be a few options)

Let me know what ya'll think of my goals!

Good luck to all!!
-Cher