Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%
Question Is this normal??????

I have been reading a lost of posts lately, and I have seen that people are wearing small sizes at my weight! I cannot figure it out! People who are my weight and around my height are wearing 12's and 10's, but I am in a 16/18! Do Clothes fit differently on me than from other people? Cause I cannot figure it out!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 23:43

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

I was wondering the same thing.

At my starting weight of 137, I was wearing a 12 (and some of them were getting tight at that). But here I am reading posts from people who are 30 pounds more than that and proudly wearing a size 10!

Part of my problem is that I am a true apple -- my waist is enormous in proportion to the rest of me. At 137 lbs., it was over 30 inches. I've lost over 20 pounds, but my waist has not shrunk much at all. Since I'm still wearing pretty much the same clothes as before, hardly anyone has noticed that I've lost weight.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 23:44

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Everybody holds their weight differently, does that make sense? For example I went in about a month ago to the dr. I got weighed and it said i was 193, the nurse was shocked cause I don't look like I weigh that much.

I also can wear a size 14. My sister is approx the same weight as I am, shows it and can not wear anything smaller than a size 18.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 00:02
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%

That does make sense. I think that that is a good explanation. I have the sought after hour glass figure, and no one thinks I weigh 167, since I hold it very well, but I don't just have one part of me that is fat, I have EVERYTHING that is fat. My neck, arms, thighs, calves, EVERYTHING. I guess that is why I wear such large clothes. I cannot fit into anything normally.

On another note, I am such a compulsive scale reader (mostly for motivation) and I just weighed myself. It seems that in a 12 hour period, I have gained three pounds. Is that even possible? That couldn't be fat could it?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 03:58

Stats: 147/120/115
BF:
Progress: 84%

Just a note to help eveyone out:

I have been in the clothing/retail bussiness for a few years, and I have to be honest, there really is no standard in sizing. It depends largely on where you shop and where the items were made.
Here is my sad but true story. Back in the day ( High School) I had a pair of jeans from the Gap. I didn't fit in to them for years Then a few ( ok, alot) of years later I tried them on again. They fit!! I ran out to the Gap to buy new ones, I was so excited!!! I grabed a few pairs to try on, none of them fit, they were all to big. I now whore TWO whole sizes smaller in the same pant.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 05:45
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you are going to weigh yourself every day, do it at the same time each day. Morning is a good time to weigh. The food and water you consume have weight. It is quite natural for the scale to fluctuate. If you wake up 3 pounds heavier, it could be water etc. The scale lies...get a tape measure or some smaller jeans to try on.

Also take into account height and bone structure and different frame sizes for what weight at what size differences.

Beth