Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224.2/224.2/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Net carbs vs. actual carbs - tracking help!

So I'm only on Day 2 of Induction and while I don't think I've screwed up by any stretch of the imagination, I'm very, very frustrated with the 'low-carb' food tracker apps that I'm using. If I go to other trackers, they seem to emphasize low-fat/low-calorie.

I don't WANT to do net carbs, I want to count my carbs the way I learned this years ago. I was a bit thrown off by the Atkins' website (which was *kind* enough to send me a package of 3 Endulge bars within 3 days of signing up) and the pre-planned menus full of packaged food. That's not why I'm here - pre-packaged food is what I'm trying to avoid. It's what got me into this mess in the first place. But I want to track my carbs/fat/protein with the actual numbers.

So I went back over yesterday's menu today after I realized it was giving me net carbs and luckily, I'm still only around 20 carbs total for the day. I'm eating whole foods (meats and veggies) and some dairy (1 - 1 1/2 oz of cream cheese in roll-ups, 1 oz of hard cheese, and a tbspn of cream in my tea at night). I may revisit the dairy amounts if I'm not losing next week, but a small amount of dairy has never been an issue for me, so unless I realize it's broken, I'm going with it.

I can't seem to get the Atkins app (or any low-carb app) to count full carb amounts for me - is there one out there? (I've got an iPhone if that helps). Or am I better off just getting an old copy of the book and using that manually? (Which I'll do if that's the answer).

Thanks for any help!

Eliza
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 10:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I use the www.fatsecret.com website. It allows you to customize what you want to track (I choose to track fiber and net, but I had to specially set it up that way). Real foods (veggies, meats) reflect USDA values which are said to be most accurate.

There is also a huge database of processed foods. I don't use those very often, but when I do I check with the labels to verify that the correct information has been added on FatSecret by other users (or hasn't been changed by someone!).

Fatsecret also asks you what sort of plan you are following when you set it up and customizes messages to that plan. No low fat drivel coming my way.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 10:48

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi Eliza -

Personally, I like My Fitness Pal. You can load the app to your phone but I found to get set up, use your laptop/PC; it's much easier and the 2 will sync automatically.

It's been a while since I set it up but I don't recall it being difficult. There is a main area where you can set goals..not only weight goals, but cal/carb/fat and maybe some other things. Just wander around a bit - I'm sure you'll figure it out.

There is also a tracker on this site but I've not even looked at it though there are a number of members who use it.

Hope this help -
Deanna
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 10:55

Stats: 224.2/224.2/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the advice - I will check both of those out . I think once I get back into the swing of things, I'll feel better and not stress out about the program as much. If i don't throw myself into it full-force the first few weeks, I won't develop those good habits that I'm trying to get back.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 10:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here is how to Configure MFP for Low Carb:
http://eatfatlosefatblog.com/how-to...ketogenic-diet/
Easy, love their app.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 12:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Hey Janet, is there an apps for tablets, do you know of?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 12:44

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Eliza, It takes too much extra time to go on line all of the time. I just have a couple of books and flip through, right down carbs and that's it/ done. It sure beats turning on computer, logging in, searching etc...there are times when on=line is a lot more time consuming.
I don't do net carbs either and it had become very deceptive on a lot of these carb counting sites because many are listing Net and they don't say so.
I want to know the real carb count so I can make an educated decision, I don't want them thinking for me....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 12:45

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I use the sparkpeople app - it shows actual carbs, not net carbs. Below is a link to their mobile page...on the right side you can scroll back and forth to see the various pages on the app. I love it...have used that in conjunction with their website for many years. http://www.sparkpeople.com/app/calorie-counter.asp
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-15, 13:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
Hey Janet, is there an apps for tablets, do you know of?
My Fitness Pal is called "Calorie Counter" (by MFP) in the Apple App store, for Ipad or iPhone. There is an Android app too, look for either name.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-15, 06:55

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I use Diet Power and have it permanently on my computer. It gives you a lot of ways of discovering the carb content of foods--net and total and gives you a running tally of your daily carb intake--total and net. See if this is something you are looking for:

(For some reason I am not given the ability to make this URL live. All that is on offer is the quote button.)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

just go to Google play or iPhone app and type carb counter. plenty of choice
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 01:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Here is how to Configure MFP for Low Carb:
http://eatfatlosefatblog.com/how-to...ketogenic-diet/
Easy, love their app.

Thanks Jey, You always post such good stuff!!