Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Cool Eating Out

I've been on Atkins now for about 6 weeks and have lost 15 pounds and am quite thrilled with how it's going. I feel wonderful!

I really wanted to share with you guys that I feel like it's my way of life now instead of some "diet" I decided to try. It's become second nature instead of something I have to constantly fight against. I find when I go out now, I have some real staple items that I can order just about anywhere and be happy. Taco salad, grilled chicken caesar salad, Blimpies Tuna salad (try this with provalone cheese, tomatoes, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and oil and vinegar sprinkled over top, make ya wanna slap yo mama good).

Of course we can't forget burgers and chinese food with sauce on the side (this will cause an arguement, but I'm the customer dammit). I have found when I start ordering my strange concoctions, the waiter invariably says "Atkins, huh"? My sweet little coffee guy now makes my triple decaf espresso over ice with half and half without batting an eye. I feel like I've got the greater downtown area pretty much trained on how to feed and water me.

I've started a lovely exercise routine and received a much needed visit from the woosh fairy as a result.

As always I want to say how grateful I am for this forum. It's been a source of great information and support. I hope I can be as supportive to others and you all have been to me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

You know I don't special order food... I just order what I can eat and leave off the rest or feed it to my boyfriend...like buns and potatoes. I try to pick a buffet where I can have a salad and my veggies and some roasted chicken, or ham or turkey. If I must eat fastfood I just toss the bun and eat the burger and don't order fries.

Sounds like you are doing fab and converting and educating the world
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 09:59
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow - Silvergirl, what area do you live in? When I special order, I get blank stares. "You don't want the BUN?"

Yes, this truly is a way of life, which is infinitely easier to manage then a DIET. Diets being temporary and painful (anyone second the notion?).

If you like to cook, check out the awesome recipes. Do you exercise?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 15:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

Hi Silvergirl,

I love the way you write. Very entertaining. I am more of the order the stuff and throw away the bun kind of guy myself. I used to have this friend at work who was a vegatarian and when we would go to burger king she would order a whopper without the meat. I used to think it was pretty funny. Now I order a whopper without the bun. Or at least i throw it out. What a strange twist.
lol

Jon
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 17:13

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

It seems to be getting more common. When I first started LC a few years ago I would get weird looks when I asked for a knife and fork with my burgers. But when I do it now people just seem to know you are eating LC. A few places here in SoCal actually have LC burgers on the menu (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 18:06
Registered Member

Stats: 198/189/140
BF:
Progress: 16%

DUSTOWEB
You must be refering to In-N-Out I am in OC area too. I have not ventured there in my 4 1/2 weeks LCing. I am not sure if I can resit the fries. They have the ABSOLUTE BEST.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 18:13

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I think there must be this HUGE group of people in Central Florida that is on Atkins.

Anytime I go to ANY resturant and start my special ordering, they go, Atkins?!?! And I say, YES! and the server starts suggesting a whole bunch of other menu items and say we can do this or that! It is so cool.

It wasn't always like this, just the past 3 or 4 months.

Keep ordering the way you want and more resturants will respond! Way to go, Silvergrl!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 20:49

Yeah kwarfield,

I was referring to In-N-Out. Carl's Jr will do the same thing too, I think a lot of people must be asking for it because the guy didn't even bat an eye when I asked for my burger that way.

I agree with you about being tempted. That's why I try to go through the drive-thru when I have to go out to eat, instead of going inside where I could smell the fries.

That double-double "Protein Style" is pretty darn good. I usually grab 2 and I'm stuffed.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 21:30
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Cool Tacos too

I'm also a big fan of taco meat and cheese stuffed in a lettuce leaf. I hadn't thought of eating a burger that way; could have used that info earlier tonite...

I love exchanging ideas with you guys!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 22:01

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

ROFL, as I've been moving I have been to busy to cook etc... and frustration levels rise. Well, lately I have been going to Jack in the box on my way to work, and ordering 1 doulbe bacon ulitmate cheeseburger. LOL, then I come to work where dbf is drooling from not eating all day and I toss him the bun. It's kind of funny. Today I ordered two to snack on because my schedual got all out of wack and I was hungry!!!! I am so full, I feel like I am gonna pop though so I won't be doing that again.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 22:35

Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Default oc dining...

hey Kwarfield and Dustoweb....

if your familiar with downtown Orange (neat Chapman University) and you find yourself in the area you must stop for lunch at Watson's Drugstore. If you haven't heard of it, it's on Chapman near the circle before Glassell. I've been going there for lunch or breakfast a few times a month for almost two years and they have the BEST hamburger patties around. Very thick and meaty...I love in&out but I need about 4 patties before I get near full. I order the hamburger patty w/ cheddar and a side of avocado and I'm in heaven.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 22:39

Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Default oops!

I meant to type "near" Chapman University, not neat. Also I should say that it's pretty cheap, too. Reasonably so for my student-size income
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 23:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/184/165 Female 5' 6"
BF:no clue
Progress: 0%

Very glad to hear that Carl's Jr also does "protein style" -- the In-N-Outs here are always completely packed around lunch and dinnertime. I'm going to have to keep that in mind
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:54

Thanks for the tip bebe123. Darn, I just moved from Orange to Long Beach a few weeks ago. I was just down the street from this place and didn't even know it. Oh well, being new to SoCal I know there are tons of places I don't know about yet.

I do have a friend that lives in Orange, so I'll have to swing by and check this place out when I'm in the neighborhood.

I agree that In-N-Out is always packed. The one that's closest to my work is in Westminster and there is always a huge line at both the drive thru and the walk up window at lunch time. The one in Long Beach seems to be a little better, but is a bit far to drive at lunch time.

Double-double's are only $2.50 so it's not too pricey to get 2 of them. I only do this when I forget to bring/make lunch for myself, so it doesn't break my bank too much.

Burger king has their triple cheeseburgers going for $1.49 right now, so that's a little cheaper, but nowhere near as tasty as In-N-Out.

Last edited by dustoweb : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 17:58.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 18:38

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Re: Eating Out

Quote:
Originally posted by silvergrl
I feel like I've got the greater downtown area pretty much trained on how to feed and water me.

CRACKING UP!

The Blimpie Antipasto salad is also yummy, especially with the pesto dressing on it. It is one of my favs!

Amy