Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:57
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sorry Mandyjo, I had to edit your post. It is against forum rules to post your e-mail address. Now that you have more than 25 posts, you can receive private messages and people can exchange private information that way.

Beth
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default doctor's check-up

I can identify with everybody here. But I have good news to share. Went for a doctor's appt. yesterday-colesteral was way down. Good colesteral was up. Havw not told doctor that I have been doing Atkins -she would have a fit. But it does work. Took pills all last year to lower it. Ate no fat!!! I mean none-couldn/t get it down. has come down since I started Atkins in 2nd week of January'03.
  #198   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:51
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi KRJKRJ,

I can certainly identify with your reluctance to tell your doctor that you are doing Atkins, but I think we all need to get over that and tell our doctors exactly what we are doing so that they can get over their anti-Atkins prejudices.

Has anyone else here had experience with telling her doctor she is low carbing? I am about to schedule an appointment for a physical and I certainly intend to bring the subject up. I have no idea what my doctor's reaction will be.
  #199   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 22:19

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Everyone...

Liz.....

I went to my Dr. after not being there for a few months...in that interim I had gone on Atkins. When she saw I had lost 15 #s, she was very pleased....I told her I was on Atkins...and her 1st response.."was she was concerned about risking raising my cholesterol, etc...."

I told her.."just look at my lab report!" (which she hadn't gotten to yet)....She did: Total Cholesterol...198, down to 153....LDL...95, down to 88.....VLDL (whatever that is) 47, down to 18...and tryglicerides....236, down to 91.....

Then we talked...She had been hearing a lot of the "press" on the low carb WOE and was interested in learning more.... Then she said..."great, Let's just follow this process along its way!" So, thankfully, I have an open-minded Dr. who isn't all caught up in the old nutrition charts!......

Hopefully, there are more Dr.s out there that will at least be willing to learn more about the "science" of LCing!....
  #200   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:39

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default colesteral

I am so glad that you had the same experience. Maybe I will get up the courage to talk to her about Atkins. I'm trying very had to get off as much medication as possible. Have been able to get rid of 3 of the 4 diabetic medications I have been taking--got to be Atkins.
  #201   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 15:00

Stats: 260/244/140 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default DR reaction

I talked to my DR last week during my physical, she said she was pleased with my tests and everything else except my weight. I said I was trying something new and she suggested low carb / high protein. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. She is young and open minded and stays up on the latest research - that may have had something to do with her recommendation.

Pat
  #202   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 21:13
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Hi all

Just poppig in to see what's up.
I'm thrilled that some of you have found good doctors and others have made their doctors into Atkins believers. I did just that with my doctor and now he's very supportive. Plus isn't it a relief when a doctor tells you that you are healthy and doing fine?
It was a relief for me, so when friends or family are quesioning me, I can always say, "look, my doctor seems me regularly and he says I'm fine!"
  #203   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:08

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Just popped in to say hi. I found this in my subscribed threads today. I guess I forgot all about it. duuuuuuuuuuuuh. LOL How's everyone doing?
  #204   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:12
I'm Back!

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 314/280/145 Female 5'3"
BF:Too Much!
Progress: 20%

Hi there, I just came across this thread I hope there are still some of you out there. Exspecially Julie Huck. Your input in March I just read really hit home. I am on my second time of starting Atkins and was just about ready to give up due to the scale not moving the way I want it to. I won't lie I blew it today BIG, but as of me reading that piece I am back! Julie is right you hurt no one but yourself and your children. Mine are teens but I think they need me just as much as when they were young. And I do love life. I have a binge disorder and it is so very hard to control due to it happens without you really thinking. So I guess I must make sure my thinking cap is turned on 100% of the time. My daughter is graduating tomorrow and my husband took a pic of me and I think you could put two of her side by side and you could still see me. I think whenever I need a reality check, I will just go on and look at my profile. I have been heavy since my son 15 years ago. I was diagnosed with hypo thyroid but not until after I was really sick and piled on 80 pounds! Then after that a binge disorder and I just gave up and ballooned until now my joints and muscles hurt constantly. So thank you Julie I hope you read this. I hope this forum continues to and alot of the members are still around and come back and we get some new members with simular issues. I am in definate need of a support system. Sorry for venting. But I feel a bit better.
  #205   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:25

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

If it's any comfort, a lot of people who had/have eating disorders have reported a big decline in their cravings once they eat LC consistently. Maybe it'll be the same for you.
  #206   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 11:39

Stats: 285/241/160 Female 5' 5"
BF:not sure
Progress: 35%
Default Love to join!

Just joined the forums yesterday and been browsing today. I started the diet Jan-03 with 125 pounds to lose and have currently lost 41 of those 125 so I still have a ways to go but Im on my way!
Would love to talk with others.

-Contessa
  #207   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 11:55

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

I'm glad to find this thread. I too would love to talk to others. Welcome aboard Contessa!!
  #208   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 14:47
I'm Back!

Looks like we have a good thread going here! I would love to keep this going. Thank you LCchickFL WOW ON THE LOSS! I hope the cravings stop. It just seems I don't realize it until oops! But I am going to try and start staying 100% aware. Contessa, I just started too not to long ago. I love it here, but I think this might become my favorite thread. Congrats on your 41 pound loss, I can't wait to see at least 20 pounds off. Well actually my heaviest was 314 and I did the phen phen thing but I got off when all the bad news hit the fan. I have hovered around 260 to 284 up and down for years now and am just sick of it. So this is it. I would like to be at least 40 pounds lighter for my 40th birthday October 28. I think that is a reasonable goal.? I am excited about this thread too skinnbonnes, you are off to a good start too! I think I will truly like it here, I hope you all stay and we can become friends (sound sappy?or scarey?) haha I am harmless, just looking for friends to talk to with the same issues. Hope to see you here soon!
  #209   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 14:53

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

40 pounds by october is definately attainable! i did it in my 1st 2 months. good luck!
  #210   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 16:09
I'm Back!

I hope so Crystal, I just looked at your gallery and WOW you look great! You should be so very proud of yourself and I hope I look as good as you at 198 (when I get there). I hope you stay with our thread and keep coming back!