Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150/130
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default How bad is Mexican

I had chicken fajitas today with out the tortilla...rice...& no beans.

I only ate the chicken with the onions & green pepper.
I ate no chips...I did have a little bit of salsa on some of my chicken.

I also had salad with sour cream & avacado and I drank water.

I'm just wondering if this is something I should avoid completely because of the way it's prepared

Hopin I wasn't a bad girl....cause if I was bad I really wanted the chips & salsa...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 18:41
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sounds pretty good to me, Miss Muffett!

Have a look at what the Atkins centre says about Dining Out: Mexican Food for more reassurance and guidance.

I often check his website before eating out for a few tips on the best restaurant choices.

HTH

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I love fajitas and guacomole and go out for them at least once a month! I've never noticed it having any negatively effect on my weigh loss as long as I stay away from the rice, tortillas, and chips. I even eat a few beans, although not the entire serving.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:16
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I eat Mexican food at least 2x a week. We love eating the fajitas with salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream . A couple of the restaurants we go to have wonderful grilled chicken dishes with creamy cilantro or pablano sauces (my favorite!!). But those chips are hell to resist, aren't they??? We just ask the waiter to remove them from the table. Whew!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:00

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

THe LC tortillas are really good, btw, indistinguishible from the 'real' thing. Take some along next time you go!

Cheers,

Friday
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:01
Registered Member

Stats: 223/193/185
BF:
Progress: 79%

The Atkins tortilles only have 3 carbs. We use them for all kinds of meals including great sandwich wraps.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:54

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

If it is on the menu I get the carnitas. It is roasted pork and usally served like fajitas so just ask them to hold the totilla, rice and take it easy on the beans. Yum Yum.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:21

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Smile Luv Mexican Food

Hubby and I normally go out for Mexican food once/week or once every two weeks. I either order a taco salad minus the beans and shell OR a Cocktail Mexitco (sp). I'll have to look more closely at the menu next time I get it. Anyhoo....it's like a mexican shrimp cocktail. It's wonderful! You can either get it with seafood or just shrimp. The seafood has squid, octapus and other nasty swimmy type things in it. I always get it with JUST SHRIMP. It also has onions, peppers, shrimp and avacado in it. They serve it with crackers which of course I don't eat but it's WONDERFUL!

Kim
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: primarily Atkins
Stats: 180/137/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

If you are in trouble for what you ate, then I'm in trouble, too. Mexican is pretty much a staple around here and your fajhita selection is pretty much what I eat.

haleyju
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%

I'm going to visit my daughter in Austin, Texas next month and I plan on eating Mexican no matter what!!! I won't eat the tortillas or the rice and beans, but I will indulge in the salad, veggies, and avacado! I live on the border of Northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We do not have Mexican restaurants up here and I won't visit Texas without splurging on a few good meals!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 09:10
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

Oh- for goodness sakes- I live in NEW MEXICO! I think that it is possible to eat in this way- but the hardest thing for me to avoid are sopapillas- yum. Does anyone know if carne adovada is low in carbs? I used to eat tamales too- but no longer. I think I prefer the butt shrinkage instead!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 17:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default avocado

net carbs according to atkins = 4.8 for 1 whole avocado. they are allowed on atkins.

ally
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 19:51

Stats: 160/150/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks for all the replies everybody...I sure did enjoy that lunch and now especially since I don't have to feel guilty about it.

I ordered some of the lc tortillas online...they came today...I had a chicken salad with a slice of bacon wrapped in it for dinner...not too bad...

And if you haven't tried the cinnamon bun & butter pork rinds...yummy....love em
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 08:21

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I have been out for Mexican food only once since I started this WOE. I had Sabana, a thin, thin steak with cheese melted over it and tomatillo sauce. Ate the steak, salad and guacamole and gave my daughter, who needs to gain a few pounds, the rice and beans.
She lost too much on a Candida diet.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 11:36

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Post yum

Hey slack! I lived in New Mexico for several years and my family is still there. My mom loves carne adovada . I am not sure if it is low in carbs or not...but it is basically just meat marinated in red chile, so as long as there is no added sugar or starch it is probably okay.

I noticed in many new mexican restaurants that there was usually at least a few "low-carb" choices (I was not low carb at the time though). One restaurant had a dish of half a chicken marinated in salsa, another place had (my favorite) a delicious shredded pork dish with pico de gallo ( also came with torillas, but they could be avoided). I think many mexican and new mexican restaurants are feasible as long as you avoid the enchiladas, etc.

Personally, I much prefer new mexican to mexican (or worse, tex-mex, blech). New mexican food is muy caliente y deliciouso, si?

-Angie