Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:49

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Need for 8 glasses of water a myth

hmmm.... I got sent this article today. I'm not going to stop drinking my water.. but I did find this pretty interesting, especially since its source is CBC news...

<b>Need for 8 glasses of water a myth: nutrition experts </b>
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/1...r_glasses030314
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:59

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Interesting. Like you though, I'm not about to stop drinking water - it's such a part of my routine now and I like it - I feel that all this water has helped my skin.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:15

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default thanks for the info

Like you have both said... none of us are goign to quit drinking our water. I know that if I don't drink near 8 glasses of water each day, I feel a little run down, dry mouth etc, etc... I know weight plays a key and probably a lot of other factors that we don't know yet. I think that I'll stick to my 8 glasses, preferably more if I can! Thanks for the info though, I think it helps to remind us not to just accept any medical advice given by so called "experts" look at how the atkin's diet was frowned upon and still is! But we're all losing weight and staying healthy!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Interesting...here's another article on the importance of drinking water: http://www.nutrisystem.com/newslett...0903/story1.cfm

At the very minimum, drinking 8 glasses of water a day won't hurt you and at best, it may very well be far more beneficial than drinking an equal amount of diet soda, tea or coffee.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:47

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

All I know is that the if I drink my required water (for me 72 oz - 90 oz) a day I lose well - - I skimp on water my loss slows down almost to a halt....so I will happily drink my water
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:26
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

A little knowledge is dangerous. This sounds like a "chicken little" article to me. I'd sure like to know who's funding this little research project.

Quote:
There have been cases of people drinking too much water. Confusion, headache and cramps are symptoms of drinking too much water. A few deaths have been linked to excessive water intake while taking the party drug, ecstasy.

Yes, but I'm sure it's much less than the number of people who die from NOT drinking enough water. And what's too much water? Their lack of information is a little irresponsible in my opinion.

Like the rest of you, it would take a lot more convincing than this article.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/176/130
BF:?
Progress: 38%

I definately believe in drinking water.

But, on another note....
I read the article with the comment of deaths due to excessive water intake....that is due to the ectasy--it causes people to be overly thirsty--a thirst that cannot be quenched and people literally drink gallons of water in a very short time span. I would think the excessive fluid increases the blood volume, thereby causing fluid overload and forcing the heart to work to hard. I would think the person would die from a heart attack.

Cher
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:56

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
At the very minimum, drinking 8 glasses of water a day won't hurt you and at best, it may very well be far more beneficial than drinking an equal amount of diet soda, tea or coffee.

Astonishingly enough, this time I am in complete agreement with LisaN on this one. LOL

Very good point, why not hedge your bets especially if there isn't any down side?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cher422
I read the article with the comment of deaths due to excessive water intake....that is due to the ectasy--it causes people to be overly thirsty--a thirst that cannot be quenched and people literally drink gallons of water in a very short time span. I would think the excessive fluid increases the blood volume, thereby causing fluid overload and forcing the heart to work to hard. I would think the person would die from a heart attack.

The deaths are likely from a condition known as hyponatremia. If you drink large quantities of water in a short period of time (we're talking quarts or gallons here, not cups), it throws off the sodium levels in your body which can set up dangerous dysrhythmias in the heart and lead to a cardiac arrest. Combine that with the effects of the E and you've good a very dangerous combination.
Eight glasses of water (or even more) over the period of a whole day isn't nearly enough to do that to a person.

Frederick agreeing with me??? I think I may faint!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 17:16
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Susan Barr is part of a joint Canadian and American team of doctors and nutritionists who are looking at how much water people actually need.
Am I the only one cynical enough to wonder whether this study was funded by the soft drink industry??
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I've always thought the 8 glasses of water thing as kind of odd. I mean, if I drink a glass of water and 20 minutes later I have to run to the bathroom, how much use is that glass of water doing me? Do other mammals drink that much water? Did our ancestors drink that much water? Personally, I think the 8 glasses of water thing is a bit of a farce. I've never really understood it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by RGale
Am I the only one cynical enough to wonder whether this study was funded by the soft drink industry??

This wasn't a scientific study per se. It was a study to see if there were any scientific studies that backed up the 8 glasses of water per day claim. They couldn't find a single study that led to that conclusion.

A few months ago I saw a piece on TV about this very study and some people in the piece suggested that the 8 glasses of water myth may have in fact been spread by all the bottled water companies.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by SmallerMe
A few months ago I saw a piece on TV about this very study and some people in the piece suggested that the 8 glasses of water myth may have in fact been spread by all the bottled water companies.

Doubtful since this recommendation has been around for as long as I can remember. I even remember my grandmother advising me to drink 8 glasses of water a day when I was a young girl and that was well before the days of bottled water.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default HI

yvonne, I am with you on your assestment of water. If I don't drink at least 3 liters of water, I stall.

By the way, if you drink the same amount of water every day, within a week the bathroom breaks go far inbetween. At least that's what I experience and I drink 12-16 8oz glasses of water
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 19:38

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I heard this on the news a few days ago. I think water drinking can be flexible but if one doesn't drink enough water they can become constipated or dehydrated. If one becomes dehydrated they become light headed and confused among other things. Happened to me once and it's not pleasant.

I think water is especially necessary with this WOE and I'll keep on drinking.