Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/133/119
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question can you drink on the atkins diet

hi
please could some one let me know about drinking on the atkins diet i have been on it now for 3 weeks ,continuing on the induction phase but would love a few glasses of wine or beer is this possible with out putting yourself back?

Last edited by KATMAG : Tue, Mar-18-03 at 09:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:47
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Drinking on induction isn't really allowed. Some people have small amounts of alcohol in OWL, so you might want to think about moving to that phase. Just a couple of things to keep in mind:

Alcohol will affect you more strongly when you low carb-you won't be able to drink as much. So be sure you also get plenty of water.

The body will burn alcohol before fat, so it might slow your weight loss down for a day or two. Not a huge big deal, just something to know.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:14

Stats: 179/177/135
BF:
Progress: 5%
Cool drinking while during induction

I have found that even a little alcohol can slow down weight loss. First of all beer is very high in carbs and secondly alcohol can both increase appetite and decrease inhibitions(which means one might be more prone to cheat on the diet. Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 147/139/135
BF:20%
Progress: 67%
Default drinking

If you do decide to have a few drinks, I suggest you drink very slowly.I had my first few drinks Sat. night after following inductions for 5 weeks.I had rye and water to avoid too many carbs, wow after about 5 of those it was like I ran into a wall!I was toast,I wont do that again,it just wasn't worth it,I'm either going to not drink at all or make sure I have a few carbs before I start.I had only consumed 8 carbs before I had my drinks and then everyone was eating all kinds of carb munchies so I didn't eat,what a mistake!This is just my experience though.Hope if you choose to do so it all goes well for you.
Wendy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:16

BF:
Thumbs up Drinking Thanks

HI THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES
WILL BARE IT ALL IN MIND PERHAPHS STAY OFF THE BOOZE FOR A FEW MORE WEEKS, JUST IN CASE I CANT KEEP AWAY FROM THE INDIAN RESTRANTS,ETC !!

THANKS
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:23

BF:
Thumbs up DRINKING THANKS

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR BUT BEST TO KNOW I S'POSE ,SO WILL TRY AND KEEP AWAY FROM IT!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Katmag: I have merged your "thank you" post with the thread it referred to so the posters will see your thanks. It's neater to keep things in one thread. Be sure to click on the "Post Reply" button (not the "New Thread" button) unless it's a new topic.

By the way, could you turn off your 'Caps Lock", please? It is usually seen as "yelling" or anger. And many people find it harder to read than mostly lower case. Thanks.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:21

BF:
Unhappy capitals

sorry not yelling and thanks for moving it to the right place not really sure what i am doing!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 12:37

Stats: 254/232/210
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well I went drinking last friday with my friends. Diet Coke and Rum for me. You end up gaining a little water weight, and if your not drinking lots of water during the day and at night and a glass or two before bed, your headed for a brick wall of hangover city.

Anyhow my body burned it off... and im fine

Just moderate if possible, you technically shouldnt, since your body burns the liquor a little differently, but a little here a little there is fine in my humble opinion.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 02:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Most people do, however, notice that they've developed "cheap date syndrome." I used to brag that I could drink anybody under the table and now, I'm very drunk after 3 or 4 drinks.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 03:48

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've only had drinks once since starting, and I made paralyzers-"Atkins-style"--I used diet cola, cream and vodka. They were delicious. Only had about 3 and was surprised that I didn't have the 'cheap date syndrome' I'd heard about. I'm not a drinker, anyway, so I should have felt the 3 even without LCing, but I didn't even notice! Weird, but whatever...

N.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:57

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 227/204/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default DRINKING ON ATKINS

I drink on Atkins diet i am past induction and OWL but continue to drink socially. Usually when i am out I order Michelob ULTRA low carb beer 2.5 carbs, I can handle a few of them. If i want to relax at home I drink Martini straight on the rocks with green olives(low carb). It hasnt effected me much and my girlfriend usually drinks a couple glasses of wine. we just plan for it ahead of time limiting carbs ect.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 147/139/135
BF:20%
Progress: 67%

Does anyone know why while eating the lowcarb way we end up feeling the effects of alcohol sooner(with fewer drinks) then we did eating the low fat high carb or whatever way.?And if it hasn't effected you so much what did you eat before having a drink?Just wondering if I have some carbs before a couple of drinks,if maybe I wont feel the effects so quickly.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by xcarbs
Does anyone know why while eating the lowcarb way we end up feeling the effects of alcohol sooner(with fewer drinks) then we did eating the low fat high carb or whatever way.?
Regardless of how you eat, alcohol is converted to ketones for fuel. LCing makes your body an efficient burner of fat and ketones. When you give a LCing body alcohol it's like giving your car jetfuel. You get all that energy and you don't have to do any of the work breaking it down.

HTH
Nat
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 20:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Maybe its the jet fuel :)

I was dying to have some wine...so I looked at some of the choices in the old Dr. Atkins book (from the 70's)....I got a wine from Chile...must have been low carb I never ate anything naughty...just cheese, eggs and meat.....and wine!!!!! and me Ketostix were still dark purple!!!!! Then more fun!!!!!!! I went out for egg foo young...no gravey I had fun