Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 22:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/196/145
BF:
Progress: 20%
Post some help please

hi there !
what other low carb bars( except for the atkins advantage ones) are you allowed to have while on the induction phase ? and where could i but them ? i live in the toronto area.
i find the atkin ones a bit too pricey.($ 4.99 ~ gnc).
thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 22:23

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Wouldn't recommend during induction

Hi cutiepie

Altho LC bars are LC, they are not recommended during Atkins induction.

Even on OWL, many people find that the LC bars cause their weight loss to slow or stall. Some people actually metabolize some of the artificial sweeteners (resulting in more carbs into their system).

Also, be prepared for gastric disturbances if you eat LC bars with Maltitol in them. After only 1/4 of a bar, I'm socially unacceptable within an hour or two (if ya know what I mean). Other folks get a more severe reaction (laxative effect).

Better, IMHO, during induction, is to stick to the basics exactly. Learn what foods are "induction legal" and try new vegetables. Eat legal foods whenever you are hungry and stop when you're full.

Later, if you try LC bars, be sure to listen to your body and notice what happens.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 17:03
Registered Member

Stats: 180/170/140 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Cutie Pie,

I imagine GNC would be considered one of the more pricey alternatives for the bars, I have seen them at Herbies (a drugstore just north of toronto) for only $2.99. I have also seen them at Pharma Plus for the same price.

I dont know of any other bars that you can have while doing atkins, I personally havent even tried the atkins bars...just eyeing them for the time being!

Hope that this helps....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 13:34
Registered Member

Stats: 180/280/128 Female 5ft2in
BF:
Progress: -192%
Default atkins bars

The Loblaws in Markham has just started to carry the Atkins bars at $2.99. I discovered them last week.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 07:48

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I, personally, think these taste like crud. If I were you, I'd just buy one and try it, in case you feel the same way I do!
Nicole

ps--not for induction, tho!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default crudless flavours

I know what you are talking about when you say they taste like "crud". that was my initial reaction to the chocolate almond brownie flavour, but recently I tasted the caramel praline and cookies and cream ones and have revised my opinion. I think some changes have been made.

One bar I keep handy for emergencies is the Premiere Eight chocolate peanut butter bar. Which is not to be confused with other Premiere bars (such as the much better tasting "21"). Again the maltitol issue applies, but so far I seem to be one of the lucky ones. See the website for nutritional information at: www.premiernutrition.com ,it is an American company but the bars are made in Canada.

Also take a look at the Low Carb Products section of this website for ongoing direction and debate over all these products and ingredients.

Good luck!
COlin
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:24

Stats: 235/210/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Induction and Bars

HI,

I am an Atkins newbie and I am stalled out after a very strong begining. The discussion of the bars is interesting. The only change that I have made in my diet, after six weeks on Atkins, is that I have added a bar a day since I am getting tired of eggs, bacon and such.

Maybe my stall is coming from the bars. Might have to lay off them for a bit to get things moving again. I have been really faithful to the diet, but after a 25 pound loss, I am really stalled.

I do find the Chocolate Coconut flavour very nice....
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 21:45

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Tired of eggs, bacon ?

Gee, there is lots of things you can have besides eggs for breakie!

How about cottage cheese and berries, it's my favorite, only thing is, it will eat up some carb counts, but It's so filling,even at just 1/2 cot. ch. 1/4 cup of berries.
I buy a pure turkey pattie, I often have it for breakfast, with red peppers,onion,slice of tomato then sour cream on top.

I find it really strange, that the Atkins bars stall so many people, yet, it's put out to have on his program, does'nt seem fair does it?

Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Thu, Mar-13-03 at 21:51.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:15

BF:

Hello All,

I took a drive to Hamilton today to visit a health food store that sells Atkins Bars for about $2.99 each. Since my husband is also on the diet (and losing weight at an amazing rate), he is still eating the bars.

I also visited a large healthfood store (kind of an organic grocery store) and had a conversation with the owner about the Atkins products (she does not sell very many of them). While generally positive about the Atkins approach, she did say that many people metabolize the sweeteners in the bars as though they are carbs and this is why the bars stall some of us out.

She also gave me a lecture about what foods are better low carb inclusions. She claims that black soy beans are better low carb food than the bars and other Atkins products because they are "true" low carb foods with more nutrients in them etc. Her husband who is a type one diabetic, and testing his sugar all the time, finds no sugar rush from the beans, but he does from the bars...

So, looks like no bars for a bit.

I have kept on the induction for about seven weeks now, but it might be time to move into the next phase so that I can enjoy a few berries with my breakfast. Thanks for the good suggestions to improve my breakfast lot.

Bella
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:25

BF:

Hi,

Results report: I stopped eating the Atkins bars and my weight loss began again. Actually I wrote to the Atkins website and asked them but I only got a generic response with no real help.

I guess I will hve to lay off the bars for a bit. Too bad because I was just getting to like them.

Bella
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

I havent tried it yet, but there are recipes all over the low carb sites for homemade protein bars that sound amazing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Im gonna do it one day,, its cheap and you customize them, makes a dozen or so, I have the recipes here, somewhere.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:16

Stats: 218/198/155
BF:39.7/36.7/28
Progress: 32%
Arrow

Atkins Advantage at GNC are 3.99, but you get 20% discount if you buy the box, and another 20% discount if you have the gold card - it's worth it. So the bar is only 2.50 there. At Shopper's Drugmart I bought for 2.99.
But watchout, everytime I ate 1 bar, my ketostix went white again, and I called Atkins hotline, and she told me I can only eat one, and only if I replace a meal. I did, and was out of the purple again! So I quit until I lose a lot of weight!