Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/189/140
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Pondering Atkins

I am getting discouraged with this diet. My first week I lost 8 lbs. 2nd week lost 1.6. During the 3rd week I added in 1 tsp of peanut butter a couple times and 1 oz of nuts once. I gained 2 lbs that week. So last week I went back to almost induction levels below 20 each day and I stayed the same. I was so discouraged Sat after weigh in I ate a decent LC meal. I had a really rough afternoon and decided to binge on some chinese food. Sunday I was still down so I ate a huge handfull of cheetos & a sandwhich on a roll. For dinner I ate corned beef, cabbage and some potatoes & topped it off with a small slice of cheese cake. I am a weight watcher too (kinda) I am torn with the results of this atkins diet. All the hype I see says things like "lose 24lbs in 30 days" I am stuck with trying to decide if I want to continue this program. I was at a stand still with losing on WW to but I seem to not be losing very well on this p[rogram either. Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:45

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

First of all, 6 lbs. in the first week is good (water weight usually but it counts). The send week you lost almost 2 lbs. - another good thing. I have never really gone above induction all this time and I do count calories (works for me). You're not going to lose all the weight you want over night, nor is this a "quick fix" - if you stick with it, the results are amazing, both health wise, physically and mentally. So why don't you continue with induction - stay away from all the "crap food" - follow the program and you'll amaze yourself. Also, stay close to this forum, the support is wonderful

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:49
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default I don't know where you saw those fast loss claims.

This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

All the best.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:01

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

It's not a fad miracle diet where the weight falls off until it's gone. You lost steadily, then gave up at the first sign of a slow down. Patience is a virtue, and you must give the diet time. Switching from program to program when you hit a plateau will not work no matter what eating style you choose. Restart Induction and follow the rules exactly. Then start to slowly add more carbs, 5g per week max. Give low carbing a chance to work before you give up on it. Drink lots of water daily, take supplements, and stick with it. I stalled for 2 weeks, then I lost 2lbs in 3 days. Your body will loose weight in spurts, and weight naturally fluctuates a couple of pounds either way. Gaining 2lbs could have just been water retention. Remember you didn't gain weight overnight, nor will you loose it that way. I know it's difficult when you're not seeing the scale budge, but don't give up so easily. In addition to weighing yourself, try measuring. People often loose inches, when the scale says nothing has changed. Good luck with whatever you decide.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:04

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hate to sound harsh, but you really haven't been on the Atkins plan long enough to make a good judgement about success. Cheetos, bread and Chinese food aren't on the low-carb plan. Try to stick with it for a couple of months before you decide. If you stop eating the junk, you will very likely feel great even if the weight loss is moderate.

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: somersize
Stats: 180/178/126
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default hahaha

I had to laugh. This sounds sooo much like something I do. I wonder what it is in our personalities that makes us give up and throw caution to the wind. Last night I had peanut M&M's on my mind, and my hubby had bought a huge back of chocolate kisses, so all day I was saying, "I'm gonna eat some kisses".

Finally, at 9:00 p.m., I decided rather than give in to that obsession that I was playing in my head all day, instead I went upstairs and started reading my Atkins book and replacing that evil voice of chocolate with testimonials in the book. The part about feeling more energetic and feeling great is really what motivated me to stay away from the chocolate, well that and the fact that I would have to walk down the stairs to get them. haha
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 13:13

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was often frustrated during induction also. My husband lost a lot of weight during induction, while I only lost 3 in the initial 2 week induction period. There were many times that I wanted to quit. but I hung in there and it now is starting to feel like this is a WOL. I'm averaging about 1.5 pounds a week. I've been doing this for over a month now and it's getting easier. I can now look at my long term average rather than my daily weight, and it helps a lot. I also measured myself about 2 weeks before I actually started the plan. Now I take measurements every two weeks and that helps as the scale is tempermental. Good luck and hang in there. It will get easier! There are also some LC snacks and treats that you can make for those times when you feel like you really need to have a treat.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:17

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I went off the WOE after my first week of induction. Immediately started to gain by eating pasta, ice cream, etc. I started back on the food plan on Feb, 28. Nearly gave up last Saturday and ate too many carbs because I wasn't getting enough carbs and was getting the shakes.
Cheetos are not part of the program or any other weight loss plan that I've heard of.
Come on you can stay on track but it does mean you can't give in to those urges. Even when I did go off for one day I didn't go overboard and started right back Even so it took me till today to get back to where I was so every little slip will set you back.

Good luck!

Last edited by BarbCA : Mon, Mar-17-03 at 14:19.