Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up Newbie here - How's everyone doing?

Hello fellow low carbers.

Sorry to be so long winded but this is a story that I believe is worth sharing. I share it in the hope that it can serve as motivation for anyone who needs it.

I have been low carbing with Dr. Atkins since 10/22/02. Since then I have lost 52.5 lbs and feel like a million bucks. I started at 290.5 lbs and am now down to 238 lbs with a goal weight of 170 lbs. I am 5' 8" with a medium to heavy frame.

Two years ago, at 43, I was diagnosed with idiopathic non-ischemic cardiomyopathy. Idiopathic because they don't know what caused it, most likely a virus but they can't be positive. Non-ischemic because it doesn't involve the vascular or arterial systems, phew!!! Cardiomyopathy because my heart is enlarged. Bottom line, basically the heart just doesn't work as efficiently as it should. Most people's heart works at about 70% - 75% efficiency, mine was around 20% efficient. I couldn't get up in the morning and get dressed without being completely out of breath. With medication efficiency went to 35%. I felt better but not good. I weighed in at around 275 lbs at that time.

Unfortunately my first reaction was to give up. In the midst of some serious depression over the next two years I had gained another 15 lbs, up to 290lbs. Now I felt as bad as I did when I was diagnosed. I couldn't walk across the parking lot at work without becoming seriously winded.

I had read about Atkins but didn't really believe it, just sounded like another weight loss scheme to me. Then I met someone at a new job that was practicing Atkins. He was an older man, 66, with diabetes and he related what seemed a pretty miraculous story to me concerning his experience with Atkins. I decided to try it.

That was 4 and 1/2 months ago. I am now down to 238 lbs and steadily loosing. Still in induction and handling it well. I do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio work out on a stationary bike every day. I also walk aprox. 2 miles each day and I am beginning a strength-training program. My triglyceride levels are down below 200 from 484. My blood pressure is down to 117/68 from 145/90.

Bottom line, I am alive and kicking butt. Mortality is a great motivator. Please don't let it go this far before you decide to do something about your problem. I feel that the most likely cause of my heart disease was obesity, poor diet, and fatigue. Not a very healthy combination. Whether you use Atkins, Protein Power, or one of the other LC plans. Do it, do it now and stay with it.

P.S. I am now also a religious follower of Dr. Atkins Vita-Nutrient solution.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 18:45

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Welcome ScuterTrsh

You are an Inspiration!!

I'm assuming you are a biker... Me too!
I'm a Motorcycle Safety Instructor.

Welcome aboard!!!

And we're very glad you're here! (not to mention "Alive and Kicking Butt")
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:58

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%
Default You are indeed an Inspiration

Hi ScuterTrish:

Welcome to lc'ng and this forum. Glad to hear you are doing so well and actually enjoying it. That's the one great thing about this plan....enjoying it.

You already are very successful. We all need to be our own doctors and monitor our own health and you are doing a great job.

My only suggestion would be to start a journal right away. Link is right there just above your name when you posted today. It says Sticky...How to start a journal. You will have your own thread and can post in it every day or whenever and other people may view and welcome you and help you along the way. After that you might want to try Fitday.com to record your daily menus. Lots of things for you to do but in no time you will be a pro. Best way to learn is to keep active in this Forum. Lots of helpful people on here.

Good luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:

Hi pegva,

Quote:
You are an Inspiration!!

Thanks. If I can motivate one person to start or stick with this lifestyle then I'm satisfied.

Quote:
I'm assuming you are a biker... Me too!
I'm a Motorcycle Safety Instructor.

How'd ya guess?

How cool is that? It must be very rewarding knowing that you are saving peoples lives, and working around motorcycles all the time to boot. Lucky dawg!!!

What do you ride? I traded my '01 Sportster Custom in on a '03 Softail Springer about six mos. ago. Man what a dream machine. Nothing I love better than cruising along the coast.

Quote:
And we're very glad you're here! (not to mention "Alive and Kicking Butt")

Glad to be here and hope to be very active on the forum. Since I have adopted a lifestyle of health and fitness first I hope to learn a lot and maybe even teach a little. Thanks for the welcome.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 09:52
Registered Member

BF:

Hi RBalhan,

Quote:
You already are very successful. We all need to be our own doctors and monitor our own health and you are doing a great job.

Amen! The docs have done ok by me so far but if we don't pay attention to the warning signs then no one else can.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll get on that journal shortly, thanks for reminding me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

Welcome, good to see other riders here too, I ride a sporty custom, anyway glad to see your losing at a good clip, its nice to see another success story. Keep the shiny side up and the carb side down. Good luck.

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAZ
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 10:39

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default hey ScuterTrsh

You're right about the job... I love it!

I ride a '94 Sportster 1200... I've ridden many bikes thinking I'd really like to have one of those... but I really love my Sporty.
If I had the money though... I'd love to have a V-Rod (man, that thing is so smooth).

There's a biker thread here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=47273
Check it out!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:

Hi LoneInAz,

Thanks for the response.

Man I did love my sporty but I had been dreamin' of a softail ever since I saw my first one. And when I saw the 100 yr version of the bike that's been on my computer desktop for three years I couldn't help myself. By the way, there's a lady on the forum that teaches the saftey course. She's in VA.

Thanks for the good words and it looks like you have had mighty fine success also. That's what I need to see. When I started this I thought that starting would be the hardest part. Man the middle is killer though. I have a glimpse of what I can achieve and don't want to wait. Causes a tendency to over-do too often. But I'm getting it under control.

Quote:
Keep the shiny side up and the carb side down. Good luck.

I try man, I try....