Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:27
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%
Default Cardio and weight lifting....

why not on the same day????I was told I should not do both together...yet often in gym's you see people doing it this way.
On my upper body workout days I don't have a problem not doing my elliptical trainer or bike..but on the lower body workout, with my home gym there are just 2 exercises I can do for my legs....and then I also did elliptical and bike...just to at least fill one hour exercise . And then I was told I should NEVER do cardio and weight lifting combined...is there a short answer to this one? All I want is some lean body with a bit of tone

Thanks Mischa

Last edited by mischa : Thu, Mar-13-03 at 16:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 06:58

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mischa,

I think you ask a very good question.

I'm wondering just as you are, why not on the same day? Doesn't it seem natural, to say, run in the morning and work with weights later in the afternoon after eating?

I'm interested in reading more views on this issue as well.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 10:09
Vorsicht! heiß

HI Frederick,

I outlined a dream workout in my gym log..I wanted to do it combined..all in the morning. I don't lift heavy weights...max 30 to 40 pounds and wonder if this is only if you like powerlift. I am such a weight lifting virgin and know so little about it. Well maybe we get an answer here

Mischa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 12:26

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm definitely not an expert but I'll offer my opinion anyway.

I think this rule applies when you're serious about lifting and plan to work out every day. Before I started BFL, I asked a question about combining and was assured that it was fine and to start with weights, since it required more energy, and follow with cardio.

There are MANY different methods to working out and I don't see why yours wouldn't be fine. Definitely better than nothing at all!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:17
Vorsicht! heiß

Angela thanks So if I do the Cardio after the lifting I should be fine? I will do this from now on..lol today I did and could only do 10 min biking after lifting Perhaps I won't even be able to bike and use the elliptical this much after my lower body workout After all..I am no super woman just trying to get in somewhat of a shape

Mischa
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Hey Misch, ANYthing is good for getting into shape if you're out of it in my opinion. The only thing I've ever heard really warned against is too much cardio, since it will end up stealing from your muscle mass.

I think your workout should be fine, especially with good weight training to keep that lovely muscle. Course, what do I know?

Congrats on resolving to get into shape. Feels good, no?

#7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:32
Vorsicht! heiß

Angela heheh I guess too much was never my problem in combination with exercise..or are we talking food and wine No I just will do 20 min stationary or Elliptical and only on my lower body work outs combined with weights because I really don't know what to do to fill enough time. Can you check my gym log and see for today if this looks alright...I did lower body today..yesterday upper body and there I can fill 1 1/2 hours with all the schtuff to do on the home gym Way more fun

Mischa
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:08

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default From a Personal Trainer

Apart from being a make up artist I am a personal trainer. I used to do it full time, now its just weekends with clients i have been training for over 3 years. So here is what I reccomend.

First of all WHO said you can't do cardio and weights on the same day?? They don't know anyhting about fitness. You can do them on the same day. depending on your goal will determine which u do first. For example. IF your goal is to build , strength, mass and size, than stick to doign weights first. Then you can porceed to do cardio. If you wnat to tone or improve muscle endurance you may do your cardio first. BUt I would reccomend, if your gonna do weights that day, do them first and use your fresh untapped energy for your weights. THen continue to burn fat on acardio machine for at elast 30 minutes.

Now if you have the time, split your cardio and weights, then things get even better. You can do your cardio on an empty stomach in then morning , and then hit the gym and do your weights later in the day. Most people don't have the luxury to do this so thats why I explained the first option in detail.

remember UNLESS your weight training routine is a specific split routine, then you shouldn't do weights everyday!! IF your doing all body weight workouts give yourself at least a day , preferably 2 before you do weights again. This assumes you are working hard, bringing most if not all sets to failure, and doing a dull 45- 60 minute session. hope this helps

Piera
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:40

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I've heard lots of conflicting things about whether or not cardio & weights should be done in the same day. When I have more time, I'll see if I can dig anything good up. I'm not a trainer, I'm an enthusiast, but here's something I came accross that may address some of what's being dicussed:

Let's hope my link works! It's a good article. The section that is pertinent is Aerobic Training, and how HIIT is more effective, read it all if you have time.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/foru...o=&fpart=1&vc=1
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 20:15

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Piera,

On the same token, I think henceforth I'll adopt another practice, "read message boards before writing emails". LOL
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 20:27
Vorsicht! heiß

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information

Mischa
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/212/130 Female 5foot 7 inches
BF:44/38/20
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up I was looking for this thread.

Thanks for all the info. Lynn
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 19:34
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Oh no! I was told to always do at least 10 minutes of cardio before I lift (I also only lift small amounts) but was told that it is important to get the heart going and the blood flowing before you lift (warm up the muscles) Am I doing this wrong? this was a paid personal trainer that gave me this advice.

Gail
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 09:52

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Gail

Yes that is good advise Warming up and cooling down are necessary in any form of exercise.

Lesley