Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/152/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Unhappy Low Carb bars

I visited Walmart (Canada) yesterday with the intention of buying a bar or 2 for emergencies.

I read ingredients and all had carbs at 18-20! Am I reading that correctly? Since I am trying to stay around 30 a day....

guess I need some expert advice please.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

The only ones that I feel safe eating are the Atkins bars. They tell you the effective carb count (ECC) on each bar. Some folks will tell you not to eat those, but it's really up to you and how they affect you. As for me, I eat one for breakfast every once in a while if I don't have time for anything else. They don't affect me as far as weight loss goes. Some affect me and give me tummy rumblies, like the Almond Nut Brownie, so I won't eat that one anymore. But I picked up some of the new Breakfast Bars in Creamy Cinnamon Bun and they are good and I don't suffer any ill effects. I can't tell you anything about the other types of bars, since I won't eat those, but I hope any of this helps
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:33

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

You need to look at net carbs, versus all carbs. The Atkins Advantage Bars have around 21g of total carbs, but the net carbs are only 2g (theses are the ones you count). After subtracting fiber, sugar alchols, etc.. they affect your blood sugar as 2g of net carbs. True some people have stalls when using these products, but I and many others have not. So you would have to try them for yourself to see how they affect you. One a day is plenty, don't go overboard with them or they very well may stall you. I really like the chocolate peanut butter ones. Hope this helps. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 18:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Nutrition Bars

Labbysmom, I do not know if you can find these in Canada, but I've been eating these all along (except in Induction). EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Nutrition Bars in Cookies & Cream. Each bar has a 2g effective carb count and 25g of protein. The bars are sweetened with sucralose. At most, I'll have one bar a day, not every day though. I got the Atkins Breakfast Bars and felt they were stalling me. No stalling problems with the EAS bars.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 18:15
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

The bars contain sugar alcohols. According to Dr Atkins sugar alcohols produce no insulin reaction, and therefore can pretty much be ignored.

Alas, for some folk, that is not so, and they stall when they eat food containing them. But for many others, there is no problem. It's very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation.

How do you know if you'll be affected? The only way is to try them and see.

One more thing: sugar alcohols tend to also be laxatives and many folk (such as yours truly) avoid them for that reason.

If you go to "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen, you'll find some more sugar alcohol information.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%
Default Advantage Bars

I found that the Advantage bars said that there were only 2g of effective carbs. Does that mean that the Bars you ca nput down as only 2 more grams of carbs? Or do you add all twenty on top of the others?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 00:57

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I found EAS Advantedge Ready To Drink Protein Shakes at Safeway in New Westminster, BC.. 4 gm - 2 gm fiber, for 2 gm ECC..
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:26

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Lots of different opinions out there about the LC bars. I use them sometimes, for an emerency snack/meal or just as a treat type of thing.

One thing I like to do is take a LC bar, cut it up into mite size pieces (small chuncks) put in a zip lock bag and freeze it. One bar to one bag to make sure you know how much you are eating. Then if I need a little snack...pick me up type of thing, I will go to the freezer and take out ONE piece of LC bar, and since it is frozen it lasts a long time.

Keeping it in the freezer does two things for me...out of sight..out of mind type of thing...PLUS going to the freezer always reminded me of a treat (ie ice cream) so I feel like I am treating myself.

Just an idea for LC bars..if you so chose to use them