Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:54

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

remember the first week is the worst if you can get past the first week of induction you should have it made. you need the first week just to get the crap out of your system. the second week of induction you should lose weight.

start experimenting with recipes on this site and others. i have found a indivudual cheesecake recipe that is great w/ only like 2 carbs.

make sure you eat a lot of fat the first two weeks this really helped with my cravings. keep pre-cooked bacon around and if you are really wanting carbs eat some of the bacon. the fat will get thru the cravings. also try pepperoni bites they have high fat and really satisfy you.

also check out the health food stores they KETO Nuts such chocalatey covered almonds made with splenda and they kill the sweet tooth.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Where lies the problem?

I looked at this post several times before I was willing to comment on it. But I just have to tell you..

The problem is not with the Atkins diet, or any other diet. The problem is with you. You obviously do not really want to commit to losing weight. Until you do, no one and no diet can help you. So with your present attitude, you might as well just hide all your mirrors, buy some larger size clothes and have fun gorging yourself to death. Because that is certainly where you are headed if you don't decide that your health and appearance mean more to you than stuffing something into your mouth. With all respect, I think you are in self denial and blaming everything but yourself for it.

The bottom line of dieting is very simple; on any diet. You have to eat less; and you must eat the proper foods for your metabolism. I guess I have to be the one to tell you this. But you probably shouldn't even think any more about all those lush foods you are slavering over. I'm in the same boat as you, exept that I am committed to just avoiding them forever, if that's what it takes.

Get off your butt and commit. Believe me when I tell you.. If I can do it, you can do it. And I'm doing it!

Good Luck!!!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:20

Stats: 235/232/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Jenn,

Glad to see that you are back on track...I have one suggestion that has helped me in the short time that I have been doing Atkins.

Instead of looking at a diet in the perspective that there are some things that you cant eat, look at it in a way that shows you the foods that you CAN eat. I am pretty sure that most other diet programs dont let you eat eggs fried in butter with a side of bacon. How about a big fatty steak? Sausage, butter, pork chops, chicken with the skin ON!!! And especially...PORK RINDS!!!! All those things that were forbidden before you started this diet. If I never have to eat an egg white ommellet(sp) cooked in a greaseless pan again...I will be a happy man!!!

Keep it up

Robert
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:38

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Teuthis, I found your post to be somewhat offensive. Jenn posted for help and support, including statements such as, "I just want the strength to stay on this road and succeed." To return with comments such as, "Have fun gorging yourself to death" and "I think you are in self denial and blaming everything but yourself for it" saddens me. In fact, I think her courage to post her problem to the world shows the opposite of "obviously not wanting to commit to losing weight."

I think you mean well, but she was not coming here for tough love. She received lots of good advice and support so far. That she should blame herself for weight struggles and sugar temptations is a terrible thing to imply.

A lot of us on this forum have struggled with addictions, including Jenn's sugar addiction, and have had lapses in will power. It does not mean we are persons unworthy of health that should feel guilty having cravings. Luckily, most of us have found solace in LC as it takes away some of those issues.

Anyway, I personally hope Jenn succeeds. It does take a lot to find that strength to really go for it and I don't think a person is weak for having trouble getting started.

In fact, I wish you all success!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: general low carbs/atkins/
Stats: 167/152/139 Female 5'8''
BF:I'm/fat/again
Progress: 54%

Whoa, little did i realize what some venting and stressing on my part was going to bring about. I was just so disguisted with my self and my behavior toward food, and how i felt like this like almost everything else, was going to be something i would leave half-assed and not finish.

But something magical happened. I posted my anguish, and then i got a reply. i got two replies, i got a TON of replies and realized, even though I feel as though I am a crackhead when it comes to sugar cravings...there is a way around it, obviously bc look at all these people that are here, WITH ME, and fighting the good fight.

So i had a bit of an attitude change. Instead, of jonsing for crap, I became inventive and started eating without limitation and boundary. I went out to the store, and bought every wholesome low carb/carb-less ingredient mentioned here or i could think of and went to work.

I never really understood the whole LIFE STYLE concept before, until i hit rock bottom and realize sugar and carbs are not worth it, and they arent even that good given the aggrigate good of the sum of the situation. A banana split might be real good in the moment but the MOMENT i put down the spoon it SUCKS until i about 5 days later when all the carbs have left my system, and i've deblaoted, and done beating myself up.

Going to the store and making (from SCRATCH) my own low carb Chocolate peanut butter cups IS GOOD. by the way, i posted the recipe in the sweet treats section.

plus i cut down on beating myself up at the gym too. i only go 3-4 times a week now, 6 times a week was killing me. i was exhausted, (my job is to be on my feet and running around as it is) tired, and just plain worn out. Now...my stomach side fat is shrinking, and i'm working on my next delic low carb treat to put in my fridge. (i've decided to make one DELIC low carb treat a week and have a lil 3-4 times a week, last week i made a low carb choc cheese cake and had a tiny bit 3 times last week)!!! Now i'm BING FREE for 8 days now!

Thank you all again for the support, sorry for the long letter, but i had to get it all out. Even those of you who took the TOUGH LOVE route, i understand what your saying. But i've gotten to this point, and i'm sure as hell not giving up now, when i can TASTE success in my mouth, i can smell it....

Love

Jenn
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:07
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Wonderful post! Full of hope and excitement.

This IS the best place to vent and to share success whether it be in lost pounds, better health or a new attitude.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-carb
Stats: 146/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/24%/20%
Progress: 72%

Jenn,
I have struggled with depression for my entire life, and I feel for you. It is a tough thing to deal with, and sometimes medication for awhile is the only thing that can help pull one out of the dark, sad depths. However, it sounds like you are feeling much better and I'm thrilled for you!
I imagine you've figured this out yourself, but there are tons of low-carb goodies available to you- try going to www.synergydiet.com for wonderful low-carb breads, bagels, muffins, candies, etc! I became a carb addict with my 1st pregnancy, and it continued till I finally found the Atkins way of eating about 2 months after my second pregnancy was over. The fabulous low-carb products that are available to us now have really helped me stick to this way of eating and I don't think that I will ever go back to eating sugar or refined flour again. It's simply not hard for me to say, "No, thanks" to cake, cookies, ice-cream any longer. Why? Because I feel better, my skin's better, my hair's better, I have lots of energy, and within a month or so I'll be the size I was before I had my first child (and I had resigned myself to never being that size again before I discovered Atkins). Plus, why eat a bunch of sugar-laden crud that will make me tired and fat when I can wait and have a delicious low-carb treat when I want it? As long as you keep careful track of your carb intake, adding low-carb goodies can really keep one on track when one feels s/he can't put another piece of chicken in her/his mouth!
Keep up the great attitude...15lbs is NOT very much weight to lose!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default wow!

Jenn,

reading your last posts made me smile.

Jon

p.s we all know you can do it!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Jenn...you are an inspiration!!!

We have all been in those dumps, but to pull ourselves out and get going straight is the real success!!

Good for you on saying no to Weight Watchers...hey, most of us have been there too...and that's why we're here. This is the LAST stop for us, and you've got it...because it's NOT a diet, it's a LIFESTYLE.

Way to go...your kitchen should be stocked FULL of stuff you can eat...and like others have told you, when you can have the butter, sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon bits... WHO NEED THE POTATO?? (Put it on your broccoli!)

Keep your attitude even when the scale is saying something you don't like...that is NOT the only measure of your progress. As long as you follow the plan, drink your water, watch your portions as you loosen up ...you'll see results in no time!

You have a journal, right?? I didn't look...
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:29
Registered Member

Nope, you don't!

You might want to do this as soon as you get a chance...it's just like starting a new thread.

But it keeps you accountable! You get lots of visitors, make new friends, track your weight, measurements, get new ideas, etc.

I'll visit!!!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Where lies the problem?

Quote:
Originally posted by Teuthis
You obviously do not really want to commit to losing weight. Until you do, no one and no diet can help you. So with your present attitude, you might as well just hide all your mirrors, buy some larger size clothes and have fun gorging yourself to death.
Teuthis,

Please familiarize yourself with our forum rules:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/register...ction=showrules

I think Skamito summed up the nature of our support forum quite eloquently. Other members where able to express the same advice as yours, without resorting to such flaming style. (rule #3)

If these rules seem too much for you, you may want to join the Usenet low-carb group.

Wa'il
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:21

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post You can do this

Never give up.. This WOL has it's many ups and downs,but the end result is GREAT! Take care and stay positive!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:24

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Im so glad to see that someone with clout spoke up. We have ALL been in those shoes and putting each other down will never solve anything. It will only cause barriers. The support on this forum has been a God send to me. The thread reads"Daily Low-Carb Support." Ok now that I have said that, I want to say to all the positive support I see here! Vonnie
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:37
Registered Member

Thanks, Wa'il, from me as well... the best us laypeople can do sometimes is turn the tone around... we're positive and success oriented around here...

Let's keep the attitude where we lift people up and remain patient while they're on their way!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:47
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

My thanks, too, Wa'il -- and for everything else you do to keep this site working.

--Ruth