Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:52

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 122/118/114
BF:28
Progress: 50%
Question Two totally different lipid numbers within 4 weeks time (???)

I took a blood test two weeks ago (which didn't require fasting but I went in before I ate anything anyway) and my total cholesterol showed 182 (didn't show any specifics like ldl, hdl or triglycerides) So I asked the doctor for a lipid test with all the specifics, and he ordered it for me (this one said to take the test at fasting). So 4 and a half weeks later (last Monday), I went to get the blood test done before eating anything in the morning, and this time, the total cholesterol came back at 231 (which is kind of high).

How come my total cholesterol numbers are so different? There was only 4 weeks in between. Is this normal? What are the factors that could change my total number like that? Do they perform two totally different tests if one is for fasting and the other one doesn' t care?

Any input/information is greatly appreciated.

tmo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 02:53

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

We *really* need to know the numbers that made up the total. I higher total doesn't really mean a thing. It's the makeup of the numbers within it. You may have had a lower total before, but the risk factor within may have been worse than the one that was higher. Please post all the numbers and let us see how you are doing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 12:20

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe I didn't make myself too clear in my original post. I'm not concerned with the numbers I got for the breakdown of each component of my lipid test. The only part I have problems with is that two tests taken only 4 weeks apart show a total cholesterol number that are 49 points apart (182 and 231). 49 Points! Is this normal? What could cause it? Do they perform two totally different tests if one is for fasting and the other one doesn' t care?

My 1st test only shows the total number. That's why I had my doctor ordered the 2nd test with all the specifics. The 2nd number is
Total 231
HDL 55
Ratio 4.2 (which is in below average risk category)
TRIG 69

All numbers are OK except for the total. Either way, I'm not concerned about the slightly high total I got back from this 2nd test. The only part I have problems with is that two tests taken only 4 weeks apart show a total cholesterol number that are 49 points different. 49 Points!

49 points seem like a lot to me, considering I didn't change my eating habits one bit.

Thank you,

tmo
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

tmo...

if you did 3 identical tests on 3 consecutive days, you could have very different results each time. Total cholesterol changes from day to day which is why in the past, doctors would not start cholesterol lowering medications unless they had 3 consecutive readings that were in the abnormally high range. Now one high reading is often all it takes for them to whip out that prescription pad.
Weight loss can also temporarily cause an increase in total cholesterol. When fat is being burned for fuel it has to be moved from the place where it is being stored to the cells where it can be broken down into ketones and used for fuel. This can only happen by moving the fat through the bloodstream.
I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the differences, but I would wait at least another 6 months before having it checked again.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Any time you lose weight, there's an initial rise in cholesterol. It drops after about 2 months.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 22:46

Oh my god.

Lisa!

I had no idea that your cholesterol values vary day to day like that.

It's almost like checking your blood pressure or something, isn't it? I haven' been losing or gaining any weight (I don't have much to lose and I have been eating pretty much the same way the last few months.) so the weight factor is out, but I guess a lot of things need to be factored in. It would be interesting to check your cholesterol at different point in TOM. :-) to see if there is any influece from estrogen/progesterone, etc.. Hmm!

That makes me feel better. I just don't like things that make no sense, you know.

Thank you very much!

tmo
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 01:33

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yep, she's right. It doesn't fluctuate as much as blood pressure does, but does change according to what has been eaten within the past 24 hours and whether or not you are releasing fat for fuel. My total actually went up over a 6 months period, but the numbers within reversed themselves and my risk factor dropped to well below the 'goal' line, even though my total numbers went up. My doc kept wanting to put me on a statin drug because my LDL was still staying about 156, but I pointed out to him that my risk ratio had dropped considerably--which was my point in fending him off starting me on the statin. Well, after about 9 months my LDL suddenly dropped 33 points and now all my numbers are completely normal. (In spite of the enormous amount of animal fat I eat!!)