Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/140
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Still slow loss - after 2 months

I'm not giving up!!! but soooo very discouraged. I feel like I am doing everything right with Atkins. I haven't touched chips, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, bread....about all I've had since Jan 5 is eggs, cheese, meat & salad. On my salad I put cukes, celery, few tomatoes, cheese, bacon & dressing -- is that too much? I'm drinking close to 6 liters of water a day. about 2 diet drinks with Splenda. I feel like I'm still about 20-30 gr. a day. I've been in ketosis almost the entire time - so I know something is working.

I am not exercising yet - is that my problem??? Has anyone else out there been on Atkins for 2 mos. and only lost 5 lbs??

Don't get me wrong - I feel good, no acid reflux, not hungry, etc. that's why I'm not quitting, but I need some help!!

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:52

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

How much cheese are you eating? Some people have troubles with cheese slowing down their weight loss.

I would also cut out the diet drinks for a week or two and see if that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 22:56

Stats: 185/180/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm probably eating 3-4 ounces on most days - usually shredded on salad, although sometimes I munch on cubed cheese if I'm hungry.

My diet drinks use Splenda & not aspertame - is that still bad?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:06
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

djoy..a couple of thoughts here for you to try on...

First, yes, the cheese could be a problem if you were eating too much, but it sounds like you're ok there. Yes, you should be doing some physical activity by now...even if it's a little power walking here and there... really important for the metabolism.

But the biggie is the right balance of carbs to protein to fats...are you getting enough? Are you getting around 10 times your present weight in calories?

If you haven't tried fitday.com try to get on it ASAP...it will let you plug in all your daily foods and will break it down for you very clearly.

Also, maybe post a sample of your daily menu...you should be losing a bit more, but like you said, other things are happening...take your measurements and see if there are changes there.

Good attitude for being frustrated! I can relate...it took me 6 months with the same ten pounds! For me it took a total loss of appetitie and a complete start over...I lowered my portions, didn't eat in the evenings...got over lots of food obsessions.

You don't have to go that far probably...but it's good that you want to start seeing where the adjustments need to be made. You'll see results soon...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Oh...also meant to tell you that starting a journal might be a real help...you can track your weight, your good and bad days, and give you a great place to meet people and get some new ideas!

I'll visit...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:06
Registered Member

Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

djoy
I know exactly how you feel!
I also started the beginning of January and am fighting with the same 5 lbs! I was down 8 on one day but that was after doing the "fat fast" and I seem to have gained it all back. This is so frustrating! I am going next month for my physical and hope to then have my thyroid checked. Have you had your checked? I am sorry to hear that you are having this same struggle but if it helps you are not alone!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

You need to exercise ! Like Dr. Atkin's says "it's non-negotiable"!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Exercise

You must exercise if you want to lose without starving yourself. And I think you should look at how much you are eating too. Your menu seems to fit Atkins just fine. But if you are not exercising you are probably eating too much. The good news is that you have had some loss. But to get more you need to exercise, and perhaps eat less too.

Good Luck!