Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default Is this recipie good for induction?

I want to try this (courtesy of Donald Rolfe...I found it in his journal), but I am kinda scared that it wont be good for induction (Im paranoid!). Can someone take a look and tell me if this is OK for induction?

DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tbs chives
1/2 tsp Itlaian or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella /cheddar mix)
1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings to taste (I use pepperoni, sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever!)

Beat together cream cheese and egs till smooth.
Add cream, parmesean cheese and spices
Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with oil
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixt. over Bake at 375 for 30 minutes
Spread with sauce and then add your toppings
Cover with mozzarella cheese
Bake till browning and bubbly
Let stand for 5 minutes or so.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Servings?

If that recipe makes four servings, it might be ok. Did you calculate the carbs? It would be awful rich for my tastes, but perhaps as an occasional treat it could be nice.

Give it a try and let us know
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 21:37

Plan: adkins
Stats: 260/250/210
BF:don't know
Progress: 20%

IMHO
don't be creative, eat plan beef, pork and chicken during induction with a small side (1 cup) of salad.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 22:55

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

I eat this all the time and I am still in induction although I am fluxuating between OWL and induction.

I count 4 servings, 5 carbs per serving. This was a guesstimate because I was unsure and it does depend on your toppings. I cut out a bunch of the cheese to help keep the carbs down and used
Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning for lack of the other.

You can experiment with this one....I don't think you can screw it up to bad.

So mine typically looks like this

4 oz cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp Mrs. Dash
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (If that and I do love cheese I just don't think it needs as much as called for)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup pizza quick pizza sauce
Toppings to taste ( I usually just use pepperoni)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 23:05

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

m0bster:

That recipe is the single most-hit thread in the Main Dishes section. There's a lot of talk in there about variations, and how to calculate carbs, and whether it's OK for induction (it is, in my opinion).

I respectfully disagree about induction meaning "don't be creative". Exactly the opposite. Be creative, be daring, don't back away from inspiration and experimentation. Every one of the recipes in the Atkins book was someone's good idea, and there are dozens of LC cookbooks out there, all of which have extremely low-carb recipes that are induction-friendly! Every dish I've posted to the recipes threads are ones I've made during induction, and I post the nutrition values for all of them.

If you get bored with the food, especially at the beginning, this won't be a lifelong way, just another "diet" that you'll one day stop. We want you to stick with it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 07:00

Stats: 297/237/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I was wonderng about that recipe myself and decided to wait until after induction. My reasoning....I thought we were to limit our cheese to 4 ounces a day. That recipe would be way more then that. I'll just wait to be sure I don't hurt how well I am doing. I do agree though about trying to be creative even on induction.

Has anyone found a good tomato sauce for that pizza that is low carb?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:42

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I made this recipe on the weekend - OMG, was I in heaven. I'm not on induction anymore, but certainly stay at induction levels - I ate 1 small piece on Saturday, 2 pieces Sunday for breakfast and 1 larger piece yesterday for lunch (the rest I tossed).

If you're truly on the induction phase, skip this dish, like yendoo said, don't be creative on induction, you need to detox.

fitby40, I couldn't find a low carb pizza sauce, I just used regular, I can't see it making a whole lot of difference - I just spread it quite thin and doubled up on the toppings.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:46

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

This is AWESOME! I cut this into 6 servings so that brings the carbs down to 5 or 6 (with my ingredients). I think it would be okay for induction. I have it with celery or some other veggie snack because you can really only have one piece and it's not a full meal by itself. It freezes and reheats GREAT so you don't have to worry about any of it going to waste!

Tricia
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 08:47

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I was wondering about freezing it because of the eggs, but if you say it freezes and reheats well, I'll do that next time instead of tossing the rest in the garbage. DH HATES cheese, so can't share with him.

Vikki
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:00

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16

Sounds tasty

But i wouldn't eat on induction, Too much cheese for when your trying to detox your body off of carbs. Cheese is also very bindng and it can make constipation (common in the early stages of atkins ) worse. So just becareful with the cheese.

just asuggestion

Piera
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:20
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

It's fabulous, delicious, a super treat. There's NO feeling of deprivation in this recipe. The biggest problem is that it's so good, you really need to watch portions.

It's loaded with cheese, so might want to hold off til OWL, esp if you know cheese stalls you. However, I think in moderate amounts it would be OK for Induction.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:43
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Default Just a thought

I think we should make a distinction between the initial two-week stage of induction (for jump-starting and detoxing) and an extended stay on the 20-gram level.

I agree that for those first two weeks it's best to keep things as simple as possible, but afterwards, for those who plan to stay at the 20-gram level for an extended time, I think creativity is more than appropriate. It may make the difference between staying LC and giving up out of boredom and dissatisfaction.

In fact, learning how much you can do with 20 grams could be an excellent education for the OWL levels to come.

--Ruth
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:20

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Ditto, Ruth!

I've been off the two-week detox for quite a while now, but I am still sticking to the 20 gram carb limit. I don't eat the DDPQ too often, but I do find it a nice treat every now and then. I think there was a thread somewhere that stated if you made the DDPQ according to the recipe and cut it into 6 pieces (9x13 pan), it would be just under 6 grams of carbs per slice. That's a huge slice to me, so I usually cut mine into 8 or 10 pieces and eat them w/a salad or celery.

Variety is the spice of life. I'm not bland- are you?

Nikki
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:49

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Contadina canned tomato sauce has only 3 carbs per serving. Each serving is 1/4 cup.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%

btw, i enjoyed this better AFTER it had been frozen and reheated... strange! (for me, I'm usually very picky about the taste of reheated food)

... it was WONDERFUL!

Penny