Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default What to eat while sick?

I have come down with a pretty bad cold and I'm not sure what to eat. The thought of eating a lot of meat or diary is making me feel queasy, it just sounds so heavy and bleh.

I have been wishing for high carb things like pasta and rice that would be soft and easy to digest, what are the low-carb alternatives? Should I eat more carb than usual while sick? I'm hardly eating anything at all right now, which seems like it isn't going to help me get better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default hi

i guess if i had a cold and didnt feel well i would have some chicken or beef broth and a slice of low carb toast. Or maybe a low carb muffin. If you have the atkins diet book there is a wonderful recipe for low carb beef-veg soup.
Maybe make some chicken soup with chicken and broth.
hope you feel better soon
linda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:21

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi SarahO,

I'm really sorry you're feeling ill. I'd say eat what you like while you're ill but go back on induction for a few days after you get better to flush out your system.

While you are ill be sure to make sure you're getting enough vitiamin C - 1000 milligrams a day minimum. You might also find Echinacea tablets help - they boost the immune system.

Hope you feel better soon.

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think the low carb soup idea is an excellent one. Have a look through the recipes forum; there are a lot of good recipes for soups. Soups are also great for a cold because the steam makes your nose and sinuses feel better.
Broths with veggies in them are a good bet for a cold. You could even add an egg or two for some extra protein (like egg-drop soup).
Hope you're feeling better soon!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 21:55

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Escrole soup

There's this kick butt soup made by progresso called escrole soup. It only has two carbs a serving. It's simply escrole and chicken broth and it's really good for what ails you.

I lived on the stuff for a couple days before I had to get my appendix removed. I was feeling very ill and I couldn't keep anything down except for the soup. Yes, I know that I should have gotten it checked out sooner but I didn't know.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 00:12

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Hey, thanks for the heads up about Escarole soup, Further. I zoom right past the pre-made soups these days assuming there's nothing for me. I'm a HUGE soup fan and feel deprived cause I haven't bothered to make myself very much of it these days.

My easiest little soup is to drop some green onions, a bit of wok oil, and an egg into a can's worth of chicken broth. Easy egg drop soup and it tastes very good.

Feel better!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 06:40

BF:

Hi y'all, thanks for all the great suggestions. Last night I ended up having a soup of chicken broth, some canned chicken and a chopped tomato. It really hit the spot. Today I'll look for some of those soup recipes you mentioned. thanks!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 07:12

BF:

One more question: my mother always used to say, don't eat dairy while you have a head cold because it increases mucus & makes your congestion worse (sorry to be gross). Is that true? Is it OK for me to have my yogurt for breakfast? I'm having it today, hope I'm not sorry later.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 07:19

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

No advice apart from ...
<big>Get well soon girl!!</big>

As for the yoghourt, it is only one intake of dairy for the day, so, go for it if you feel like it. I do not think that quantity could be bad..

Ciao
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 09:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi! My usual MO for a cold is this:

- *don't* turn to carbs! Do not feed the bacteria that are waiting to turn that cold into a sinus or chest infection. If I'm not hungry, I just don't eat as much. That's the body's way of saying that it doesn't want to be working on digesting food, it wants to fight the infection.
- plenty of fluids, including soup, tea, water...
- take my multi vitamin plus echinacae, zinc and extra vitamin C. Green peppers are a good food to eat while sick; they're loaded with vitamin C.
- Take it easy! Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Skip exercise. Forget it. That's a strain on the body, and white cell counts have been shown to decrease after exercise.

HTH. Get well soon!