Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%
Default Stick a fork in me I am DONE!!

This diet is not for me. I have followed induction to the letter since January 6, getting off only for one day when I got off at a funeral. I have been religious about it. I didn't weigh and fuss about it, I measured, I drank water, I was creative in my cooking and I followed the directions. I gave my body time bla bla...
I just finsihed my period so don't tell me it is water. I am not swollen as I can tell by my fingers, jewelry and ankles. This diet doesn't work for me.
I haven't weighed since January 30, I weighed this morning and am UP another pound. Screw it, I am going for Ice cream

Last edited by LadyBug555 : Sun, Mar-09-03 at 15:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 15:46

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear LadyBug555,

I can understand your frustration. I stopped actually losing weight ages ago but I still stay on this woe because I like it, I feel healthier and I'm not putting weight on.

Maybe this is not working for you - but neither will eating ice cream. Whatever you do you need to stay in control - and you have shown you can do this.

Take a breather - weigh up the situation. See if there is something you can change or tweak - even try a different diet...but don't lose control - you've been there before and that is what probably made you overweight.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:29

I feel better also but I am unhealthy at 60 lbs. overwt. I need to lose WT!!!!!!!!! Not my mind
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBug555
I feel better also but I am unhealthy at 60 lbs. overwt. I need to lose WT!!!!!!!!! Not my mind

Not to be cruel, LadyBug, but how is eating ice cream going to help any of that? It's not going to help you lose weight or get you healthier. It's probably not even going to make you feel any better. There is a small percentage of people for whom low carb doesn't seem to work, but for the rest that have difficulty losing weight, there is a cause for it; it just needs to be tracked down and dealt with.
I tried taking a peek at your journal, but since you don't typically list the actual foods you eat, I couldn't get any suggestions from there. Is it possible that you are regularly eating a food that your body is sensitive to but is still low carb? I'll give you an example; my DH was eating peanuts and almond butter all last spring and didn't lose an ouce even though he was being completely faithful to low carb. He lost inches, to be sure, but not an ounce of weight. Come to find out that he's allergic to nuts, even though they weren't giving him any particular allergic symptoms. Now that he's doing this without the nuts, he's having better success. There are a lot of foods that you can be sensitive enough to to keep you from losing weight, but not so sensitive that you notice any symptoms; eggs and dairy are big culprits as are foods that feed a yeast problem such as aged or fermented products and vinegar. How about artificial sweeteners, caffeine or low carb treats? Still consuming any of those?
I can understand your frustration and I wish you success with whichever method you choose to get the pounds off, but don't just lapse back into high carb eating because this doesn't seem to be working for you. You said that you started out losing so you know that it's possible, so what happened between then and now that made it stop? That's the question that needs to be answered.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 16:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Ladybug
Maybe you need another lc program. Maybe it is just the winter. Whatever you do, ice cream is not the answer (Well, sugar free is allowed). This is not a one size fits all diet world and perhaps you need to give another lc program a try. One the other hand, some people due to hereditary Neanderthal genes do not lose weight in winter. Perhaps in the spring things will start moving for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:02

I do take 12.6 mg daily of Paxil. But I have lost wt before while taking it. I feel like I have been betrayed. I was faithful, I trusted this and it turned on me. I don't know how I can stop taking my meds right now as I am already depressed enough to drive off a cliff. My husband has done great on this. It isn't fair.
If not Atkisn then which plan? Somebody help me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:02
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Ladybug I feel your pain. When I did Atkins the first time I gained six lbs and stopped for over six months...then one morning I just decided to try again and whamo it worked and has been working since...don't beat yourself up and don't feel bad, this does happen to others. I too ran to ice cream (well for me it was pasta) and had a ball for six months...then I got on the scale and saw I had gained an additional 10lbs...and that was what forced me to reconsider. If this does not work for you it's ok...there are other diets, I'm down several sizes since then, I ate and ate and ate while I went off Atkins and I'm still alive and don't hate myself for doing it...God bless and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Gail
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 18:13
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I agree with Lisa-

Something is obviously wrong here. I have a few suggestions

Post your menus so we can see if something strikes us as a red flag. If you have a fitday.com journal-you can post a link to it here

Go see your doctor. There are other drugs besides Paxil that help and don't have the same side effects. ALso, maybe there is something biochemically going on that is preventing weight loss. Hormonal imbalance, food allergy or intolerance...

Have you measured at all? Are you losing inches and not weight or are all losses stopped? I feel your frustration and I really hope we can help track down what is going on with you.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 18:45

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

Ladybug Did you try the fat fast or meat fast? Another question are you sure you are eating ENOUGH. Alot of us in trying to be extra faithful dont eat enouigh calories or enough carbs. I stalled and wasnt eating even my 20 carbs a day... I decided to just loosen up and try to eat low carb and healthy but not obsess about the carbs because it was frustrating me. As soon as I started getting more carbs I had a big Whoosh. Ive heard many other people talk about this same phenomenon.

Id try some adjustments before giving up. Make sure the calulations are right, try the meat or fat fast, try another LC diet, Try adding some carbs to 25 or 30.. Talk to your Dr, is there any other medication that would effect you less then paxil? (whisper) if all that doesnt work maybe even try a cheat day and then go back to induction the next day. Dont tell anyone I said that though. Blashphemy!! (some people swear by cheat days and its better then giving up all together.)

Oh and make sure you have your very own whoosh fairy too!! (ok so Im superstitious)

*** Hugs hon ** I know its frustrating but hang in there a bit longer.

jade
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:18
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Ladybug! Don't give up. Like everyone said post your food journal so we can look at it.

red
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:28

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Have you tried L-carnitine or Co-Enzyme Q10? These are 2 supplements recommended for people with high metabolic resistance. From the sounds it might be a problem you have. Before you give up it's worth a try. Take 100mg daily of the COQ10 with a meal, and 500mg 3x's daily of the L-carnitine (total of 1500mg) before your 3 main meals. No matter what diet you decide is right for you, I have to agree with everyone ice cream is not the answer. Good luck with whatever you decide.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:31

I did Fitday for awhile. I was averaging about 1600-1700 cal a day and posted all in my journal. I eat pretty much the same every day. I am seeing my doc tomorrow. Any suggestions on something natural for the Paxil. I am clinically depressed with anxiety
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ladybug...it's not just the total calories, fat grams, etc...that we need to see; it's the actual foods that make up those totals. Some foods are known to be problems and I think it would be helpful if you posted an average day's menu so that others can take a look and hopefully spot any potential problems.
Some medications make it difficult (not impossible) to lose weight. I think Zuleikaa may be onto something about those that have difficulty losing weight during the winter months; I have that same problem myself. I haven't lost more than a couple of pounds since last fall, but I know from past experience that it will pick up again once the days start getting longer and warmer. Adding the medication on top of that would only compound the problem; at least it certainly would for me.
I don't have any suggestions for a change in medication. Perhaps you can check the Atkins website www.atkinscenter.com for a suggestion there?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 20:51

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

How's your exercise regime ? Exercise is absolutely key for me and I have to do it a least 5 days a week, minimum 1 hr brisk walk ( cover a little over 3 miles) or 40 minutes on my stationary bike at a pretty good intensity. If I slack off at all, the weight loss stops. The last two weeks were bad for me, it's tax season so lots of overtime and little time for anything else - sure enough I stalled. Took the time to mow the lawn today and go for a long walk yesterday - felt great ! Come on .. stick with it ! ; = )
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 07:01

Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi LadyBug

I started the exact same day you did. I lost 9 pounds on induction, and then NOTHING! I thought, okay lets stick it out and see what happens. Still NOTHING! So I went back to the book and looked at the section that talks about things that may hang us up. Then I did a ton of research and realized I had candida! So, about 3 weeks ago I started dealing with that, and now I'm steadily losing!

My advice, don't give up until you have covered all your bases.

Lolli