Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 23:59

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Progress: 7%
Question Coffee w/ cream???

Hi!
I started Induction on 2/10/03 and I am down 7lbs. I am not sure what the deal is. I thought I would be losing more. The more and more I read the different boards, I am wondering if eating nuts for snacks, Atkins shakes for brkfst, and my decaf coffee with cream & Splenda for dessert is causing the slower weight loss???

I am not exercising. I know, I know....that is critical. I swear! I am planning on starting my Jazzercise regimen very soon. I have no excuse for stopping - just lazy!

What else am I doing wrong???

Any suggestions, insights, etc.. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 00:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Crafty and welcome...I live in Texas too, near Austin

As for your specific questions...I've seen a lot of people here say that the Atkins shakes and bars really slowed them down. Cream in your coffee is not a problem. As for the nuts, I'd have to check the book. It's really important when doing induction to stick with the lists in the book.

It's so hard to keep track of all the calories, fats, carbs, protein etc etc that you eat. You might like to take a look at a website called fitday.com
It's a very useful tool where you can enter all your food and it automatically computes all the nutrition for you. Basic quidelines that I have learned here are...eat about 10 times your weight in calories 200 pounds = 2000 calories. Try to aim for 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbohydrates. If you'd like to see what fitday is like, just click on the link below my name. What I eat isn't very interesting, but you can see a sample of the kind of information fitday provides.

The most inportant thing to keep in mind is that Atkins in NOT a quick weight loss program although many people do lose several pounds in that first two week induction period. This is an eating plan for life. It looks like you and I are trying to lose about the same amount. I am figuring it will take at least a year. I hope the weight comes off, but the most critical thing is to enjoy my meals and be healthier and more energetic.

Wow...I sure didn't expect to write so much but, believe me, everyone here wants you to succeed and we will all help as much as we can.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Sue
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:59

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%

Hi Crafty

Are u still in induction?? Do you want to be?? BEcause that will determine if you should be having the shakes and nuts. If your in induction you should steer clear away from nuts, shakes, bars. THose have for me in the past really hindered me staying in ketosis and created a stall when I first attempted atkins. THis is my second time starting atkins and I decided I would do this plan as most natural as possible. Meaning eating as little processed food as I can. those being things like Deli meat, shakes, bars, hotdogs, fast food in general, and I"m going easy on the cheese. What do your meals look like? Maybe you can post for us a sample day or two of what your eating. I particularly found DELI meat to be a real staller for me. Not sure if it is for you, but u could try to cut that out if u do have it already. ( and this includes any kind of pepperoni stick, beef jerky, sandwhich slices, ect ect.

AS fot nuts, they are fine as long as you don't over do it. Make sure to count the carbs in nuts and add that to your daily total.

YOU GOTTA EXCERCISE!! You will get such a whoosh ( a jump in weightloss) if you start moving. Believe me you'll get an even greater energy high!! Dancing is great!!! just try to go for at least a half hour

hope this helps, ask any questions u have

Piera
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:15

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

hi sue
i looked at your fitday . looks good to me. i tried to join but every time i put in name to use someone had. need one for me to rember.
I hope to be at my goal weight FIRST ONE>>145 by June and By Fall this year. 100lbs. Weight is really slow . been in stall for while. but today looks like i might have moved down. hope so.
take care. do you go to chat?? i just started there last night. bet you will enjoy. hope to see you there.
janet
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:11

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Progress: 7%
Smile

Hi Sue & Piera,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions! I have such a sweet tooth its been really hard at times. I thought the shakes would be my saving grace, y'know? The thing is I have been in ketosis the whole time. That is why I am so confused. My body is saying I am burning fat, but I am not losing pounds. I have decided to cut out the shakes and nuts for now.

I am not discouraged. I know this is going to take a while and I am prepared to stick to this way of eating. As much as it pains me - I think it all boils down to exercising!
I have become so lazy this past year. BUT!! I am going to Jazzercise today and I am really looking forward to it. I am sure the class will kick my you know what!

I looked at fitday.com the other day. Its pretty cool. I have been journaling on "My Atkins" at atkinscenter.com. Its been pretty helpful for me. Have you all ever checked that out?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:24
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Crafty,

Don't get too hung up on the sticks as proof you're burning fat. While they can be a helpful motivational tool, it's important to note that they also register the fat you're eating - not just the fat you're burning.

While you shouldn't compare yourself to anyone else, I can tell you I've managed to lose 11 lbs on Induction so far (I'm on day 10). In the past I've had problems losing weight, so I've been really strict. I'd read how certain foods could stall people so I haven't used any lo-carb products -- yet! -- nuts or sweeteners. And I've been really careful about cheese intake. The one day I ate my full allowed 4 oz I went up a half pound the next day. Since then I've limited it to 2 or 3 oz at most and not every day. Just a bit grated on a salad or on my morning eggs.

I'm sticking pretty closely to the DANDR recommendations of 2 c of salad and 1 cup of other allowed veggies and it seems to be working okay.

Hang in there. And do check out FitDay if you haven't already. I've found it really useful. In the past, I never followed recommendations to keep a food diary and I think that's how little extras started to creep in and add up. Visually seeing how things are adding up has helped me control my portion sizes. Also I'll often pre-plug in what I think I'm going to eat to make sure it all balances okay. The pre-planning also seems to be working to curb my desire to take a bit more of this or another scoop of that.

Good luck!! Hang in there and I'm confident you'll be successful. And don't forget to take your measurements - they'll motivate you on days/weeks when the scale seems stuck!

K.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 13:57

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi CraftyGirl,
I agree fitday is a great tool I also go to the Atkins Center to journal but fitday is the best way to see exactly what you are doing right or wrong.
I was wondering if you are using L-Glutamine Dr. A. says it helps with carb cravings mainly sugar, I think he says 500mg. with meals don't have my book here.
Nuts are a nono while you are on induction some fruit like strawberries or blueberries might be a better way to add carbs. after induction, or more vegetables. I would really watch the bars and shakes they really can cause problems. I have a hard time losing I just have gone through my umpteen time on induction lost 6 pounds and promply stalled one of my friends calls it the 3 week stall after induction it's very common and the time most of us give up. I am back to basic's no shakes,bars or cheese cakes some people even have to watch the Aspartame in sugarfree jello. Good luck, Pat S
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:10

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hello again...

A lot of people here have said that measurements can really be a better way of tracking the changes in your body than using the scale. Often, when the scale isn't changing, your body IS changing. Why not take some measurements now and check then every week or so? We all like to see any encouraging signs we can!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 17:12
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Coffee?

The decaf isn't the problem. The nuts and Atkins bars are. If you aren't losing, figure out what is causing it. The bars contain tons of Maltitol and that can stall you out in a hurry. Eat a real breakfast that will hold you. Make sure you only eat a very small amount of nuts at any time. In the book when Atkins recommends Macadamia nuts, he also says to eat what amounts to a "child's handful".

Good Luck!