Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Fitday

Can someone explain how "Fitday" connects with the Atkins diet? I went to the site and it seemed just a lot of time and trouble entering information to get what? For me, the beauty of Atkins is its simplicity.

Is Fitday basically just a diet gadget? I'm not being facetious. I realize that some people love that kind of thing. But I don't want to, or intend to, sit around agonizing about food minutae for hours on end. What do we get out of Fitday that relates to the Atkins method of dieting?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:33
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I just got onto Fitday when I starated induction on Saturday. I've found it really easy to use. At first, entering foods takes a few minutes, but then you get your list of commonly used foods built up and from then it's just a few clicks.

It adds up all your carbs, protein, fiber, calories and fat - makes it easy to see the big picture.

There's also a journal feature, a place to enter and track weight, place to enter your activities, etc.

I think it's great.

I find it a lot faster than looking everything up in the carb counter.

I guess it depends how much time you're on the computer. I'm on here all the time for work so it's super easy just to jump over and add up my foods. It also keeps a nice historical picture for you to look back over what you've eaten and correlate it with any problems you might be having.

k.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:47
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
What do we get out of Fitday that relates to the Atkins method of dieting?

In a nutshell, carb counts!

For me, it has been the easiest way to keep track of my carb count, plus it can be handy to keep an eye on calories as well as percentages of fat, carbs and protein. Nowhere near essential, but very handy.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 22:12
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Teuthis! I use it because it helps me to see my net carb count. But it annoys me because it doean't all ounces for some of the food items, example pepperoni, when I eat 2 ouces all it seems to calculate pepperoni in is cups. I get confused between volume vs weight measurements. It drives me insane sometimes. I wish there was a better program that was free.

red
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 23:38

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Red, you can specify your preferred method of measure if you enter your own nutritional information for the pepperoni you're eating. I don't think all pepperonis have the same nutritional value. I tried Armor and Hormel, and they are both different.

I like fitday because I can keep track of basically everything but sugar. It will tell you if you're deficient in certain vitamins and minerals among other things. I use an offline software called Weight-by-Date Pro and I like it because you can input custom recipes, but I think Fitday is better overall. It's just too bad that I have to sign on to the internet everytime I want to use it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 00:01

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

I"m still pretty new to this WOL but Fitday for me has been a great reality check. For example, I stopped losing, started gaining, and didn't really understand what was going on until I went back to Fitday to track myself for a while.

Yikes! Was I surprised. I swear I had one day when my calories were over 6000. I had lots of days when they weren't much lower. It helped me see that although my carb count was still ok for where I'm at with OWL, there's really for me no such thing as an entirely free lunch.

I too have found not counting things other than carbs to be wonderfully liberating. However, if I'm doing things out of moderation, Fitday is a good way to increase my awareness and bring me back to eating that will ensure my success.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 00:04

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I usually don't enter my daily meals into fit day. Instead I use it every few days to kind of "audit" what I am eating, to make sure I haven't snuck any hidden carbs in to my diet without realizing it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:19

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default And they actually measure

Hi all,

Teuthis, somewhere in the world, I forget where but maybe on a remote chain of South Pacific islands or northern Mongolia, I think there is a tribe of people who actually measure things.

They use these measuring things that come on rings like a keychain and measure 1/8th teaspoon, 1/4th teaspoon, etc., up to a tablespoon. They use measuring cups with very precise markings, and sometimes even scales that weigh to the fraction of an ounce.

Where they come from, a pinch of this, a shake of that, a bit of dried herbs rubbed between your palms and dropped in the pot, a splash of this and a dollup of that, are NOT considered measurements.

Although I haven't used Fitday, I think from what I've read that this tribe would find it a very useful device indeed.

These people must get very frustrated when they ask, "Well, how much is that lump of butter? " and get a reply like, "Oh, I dunno, 'bout the size of a walnut."

But, Teuthis, we know from reading this forum that many people find Fitday extremely valuable, and whatever works . . . well, works.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 09:37
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I Was Right!

Haha It is a diet gadget. I've lost 50 pounds to date, and, as I said, the beauty of Aktins for me is its simplicity. I memorized the gram carbohydrate tables in Atkins, and the caloric values of specific foods that I habitually eat, and that's all I've needed so far.

Whatever helps us stick to the plan is beneficial I guess. But I still have no intention of spending the rest of my life worrying about a pinch of this or a spoonful of that. I've already cut my food volume, and shall continue to comfortably do so as I progress.
Thanks for the information and..
Good Luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 10:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%
Default why I use it

Well I guess what you call a diet gadget, I call a useful tool. But that is all it is-a tool.

I find fitday to be helpful in keeping me on track on my percentages, making sure all my nutrient needs are being met and I also input my activity to see how many calories I use up at the gym. It also calculates my BMR as I lose weight, my average weight loss per week, my average carb, calorie and protein consumption and a bunch of other stuff. I am a data nut, so I like looking at the numbers and the graphs on fitday. I also want to make sure I am getting enough protein. It certainly isn't necessary, but it is the quickest and easiest way for me to keep track. I don't spend more than a few minutes a day entering what I eat there.

One other advantage is if I get stuck or want someone to look over my menu-it is easy enough to post a link to my public journal and have people give me some advice on what I am eating.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:40

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%

I love Fit day. Its a great way to see where your nutrient ratios are at. I didn't realize I wasn't getting enough fat till I started using it!! I was eating too much protein in comparison. I wouldn't have the time to calculate the all the cal counts in order to get the amount of fat I'm getting in a day. And once I upped my fat grams I notice I felt fuller and lost more!!

It does get simple once you use it and your basic foods are stored.

Do whatever works. If you don't like it, don't use it. Go with what your alreadt doing and you'll be fine Simple
Piera
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:42

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default ONe more thing

Fit day is also a way to have a written track of all your meals. Like a journal. SO if lets say you ever come to encounter a stall you can look at what your eating in the last little while and compare it to what you were eating when u were losing and maybe detect the culprits. Just a though