Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 19:44

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 271/162/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Hi All and Julie...

Julie, I felt you talking to me in your last post... I've been doing so good and not cheating... until today... and I've gone hog wild... It was my birthday yesterday and today and yesterday a friend of mine passed away from liver failure and she was only 52. Today has been hard and an I don't give a care attitude... I've not posted in my journal for awhile now because I knew I was giving up the fight... I know I have to get right back on track.... and I will..
Now I must go read the posts so I can get back on track and be motivated again....
This is just the bestest group ever....
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 08:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 271/162/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Brand New Day....

Ok, I have a brand new attitude with plenty of graditude... and started the morning with my protein drink and my vitamins and now I am ready to get all spiffed up for church....
"Today IS the 1st day of the rest of my life".... This is the day the Lord has made, and I will be glad and rejoice in it....
Blessings on all...
  #183   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 09:50

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Morning everyone................

It is Sunday and the day I try to accomplish all of my work and errands that I never get to during the week -- LOL!!!

Trying VERY HARD not to get discouraged with my total lack of any loss. It seems as if the scale refuses to budge when I get on it..........*sigh* and I have four more days of this Induction.

I am surrounded by Girl Scout cookies, since I am the Leader and Cookie Mom..... not really tempted, they are just there. I need to sort out the orders and deliver and hopefully at our site sale on Saturday, I will be able to get of all of them....... provided Mother Nature doesn't give us a snowstorm like last year....

Everyone have a terrific day!

ATM
  #184   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi folks,

I just wanted to stop in and say hi. I've been missing all the interaction on this forum, but I'm swamped with work and house guests. Things should start to clear up in about a week or ten days and I'll return to posting more regularly.

I just read through a bunch of posts about cheats. I've been having trouble avoiding the little ones lately with five extra people staying in my house this week (making nine total including my husband, son, and daughter). I find myself saying -- I'll just take one taste of that. I am pretty good about stopping with one taste, but I know that one taste can be enough to throw me out of ketosis and stop my weight loss cold. The thing about this way of eating is that we can eat as much as we want but if we eat the wrong thing then everything starts to fall apart. I have taken a vow of no more little tastes and cheats. I wish I could stop everyone from bringing all the great looking baked goods into the house, but I can't right now, so I am just going to have to will myself to do what is right.
  #185   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:14

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Well...............

I fell off the WOL. I think it was the disappointment of not seeing a loss on the darn scale that did it. I thought for sure, there would be some difference by now, after 10 days.

I was feeling very, very, very low and mad at myself and yadda yadda and I gave in thinking what the he*l.
I ate chocolate -- some chocolate.

Plus, I did this in front of my daughter who is doing SS and I gave her the look that said don't bug me about this. And I ate it.
I feel so guilty, and lousy and disappointed in myself.

Yes, I know tomorrow is a another day, I just need to deal with today.

I am not even sure why I am sharing this disaster with you, but I felt I needed to come clean.

Thanks for reading.

ATM (at this rate, never!!!)
  #186   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 19:13

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

You know... the thing I don't understand about cheating is...well...you are only hurting you. 1 minute of taste every week or so is not worth being fat for the rest of the year. I don't remember hardly any of my previous cheats. Why is that? Because, food ,once it's eaten, just isn't that memorable. It's instant taste bud gratification. But it's disastrous for losing weight on low carb. And

The thing is.... Low carb is mostly about staying within your carb range for losing weight. And of course it's different for everybody so there is no use comparing yourself to someone else. It's like comparing apples and oranges. One person can be really insulin resistant while their friend may not be at all. Just because one person can do fine cheating once and a while does not mean that I can get away with it.
The emotional part of staying on track and losing weight is a whole another problem. If you are in ketosis then your cravings should be more manageable. In fact the deeper into ketosis I go my appetite really diminishes and I don't notice any cravings. Everyone says, that as long as you register a color it doesn't matter how dark it is. This, however has NOT been my experience. Otherwise, if you are still having trouble not cheating the you are eating emotionally. You are the only one that can change why you eat.

For me it's pain and simple. I owe it to myself, my kids and my husband to lose this weight and be as healthy and as energetic as I can be. How dare I choose to remain fat and unhealthy by periodically eating a handful of cookies and thereby risk jeopardizing the future of my kids. I lost my father when I was 5 and I know what it does to children financially as well as emotionally to lose a parent. Being a mom of two small children, I don't have the right to ruin my health.

And... I've spent the last decade in the mid to upper 200's. I can't even remember what it's like to shop in regular stores or sit in a chair like a healthy size person. I want to spend the next decade forgetting what it's like to be fat.

I could fill a whole notebook full of reasons why I want to lose weight. I guess that's why I don't cheat. To me, anything that gets in the way of reaching my goal this year is poison to my diet, my body, my soul, and the my life.

If I hit a stall, who am I punishing (rewarding) by eating some high carb food? I look at weight loss this way. No matter what a persons medical problem or metabolism problem, when put in a situation like a prisoner of war camp or worse a concentration camp they all lost weight. So what does this say? It says that everyone will lose weight if their calories are low enough. Starvation is not the answer. Most all of those that get a gastric bypass lose their excess weight too. All they are REALLY doing is following a low carb low calorie diet. They are forced to or they will make themselves sick. Gastric Bypass isn't the answer either. You would have to see doctors monthly indefinitely. However, just because Susie down the street can lose 50 lbs eating 2000 calories and 45 carbs a day doesn't mean that I can do the same. It is every low carb dieters responsibility to find their own magic level that gives them the loss they want at the rate they want it.

To me, this issue is black at white. If your body can't handle the cheats don't do it. You control what goes into your mouth. If you absentmindedly chomp down on a cookie, spit it out. No one says you have to swallow. If you CHOOSE to cheat...well then you have to figure out why eating a particular food is more important to you than reaching your weight loss and health goals.

I didn't mean this to sound harsh. But sometimes reality is that way.

I also know that it's a struggle. I've had to struggle with it myself. But once something clicks in your head. It all becomes really simple. Cheating will kill your chances of making it to your goal.

As you can tell I feel strongly about this And I wrote this with the best intentions

Julie Huck
310/270/160

Last edited by Julie Huck : Sun, Mar-02-03 at 19:19.
  #187   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:52

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Gastric Bypass: Not me!

Julie, I really agree with you about the GB surgery. I have a friend who had this surgery 6 weeks ago, just a couple of weeks before I started lo-carbing. I have lost almost 20 lbs in almost 4 weeks, am not hungry, don't have cravings, and am experiencing a tremendous increase in energy and a decrease in weight-related health problems. My friend has lost 23 lbs, but at the cost of food cravings, constant nausea, and a complicated recovery from the actual procedure (she is diabetic). She is just now getting out of the house and going out in public, and still tires easily. I hope she looks back on this as a positive, life-changing experience, but right now is voicing serious doubts about whether or not she did "the right thing". I know many people have GB surgery each year with good results, but my friend is the only person I have personally known who has had the surgery, and watching her recovery makes me glad I did not choose that option for myself.
  #188   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:05

Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hello,

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? Where has everyone been?

I haven't been online much this week - but I'm still doing induction - and staying away from the scale so I don't drive myself crazy!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Summer
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:13

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Still here! Still doing well Nothing fascinating to report really. Three weeks left of my first BFL challenge. I'm tired!
  #190   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:26
blah

Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default getting in control

I've finally taken control of my life. For the longest time I have let other people control my eating. If people made me sad, I ate. If they made me happy, I ate. Mad, I ate.....you get the idea. Now I am choosing to be in control of my eating. I eat when I choose to not when the situation dictates that I should. I am now 8 weeks sugar free...not a taste,morsel,or speck.

"I will not be afraid of the storm for I am learning to sail my ship"

neen
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:34

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Welcome, neen!!! I'm now 4+ weeks sugar-free. Ain't it GREAT??
  #192   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:04

Stats: 260/244/140 Male 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I'm Back

I have been going through several life changes and used them as an excuse to eat carbs - many carbs. But as of this morning - a new day is dawning and I am back on the low carb way of life. Reading the messages helps me realize I am not alone and this is a life journey that may have a few mis-steps along the way. Thanks for the support - it is great to read about the struggles and successes -

It would be nice to be able to low-carb my house - that isn't possible because of other family members but I don't have to keep things like cookies out on my counter - so as of today they are finding a place behind closed doors. Taking the out of sight out of mind approach

Have a wonderful day,

Pat
  #193   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:40

Plan: adkins
Stats: 232/209/120
BF:too much
Progress: 21%
Default hi

I hope that this makes it were it suppose to go.i tried this last year and got discouraged not that i wasnt losing,not that i wasnt feeling better but i had a hard time fitting it in with 4 kids any ideas this time around?
  #194   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:53
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi all

Just a quick hello and to see how you are all doing.
I'm on day 32 of Induction (I do eat Atkins bars for breakfast)
So far I'm doing ok, mainly to the water I drink. 4 liters now!
Sigh. I wish I was losing faster but don't we all?
  #195   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Zone
Stats: 230/230/165
BF:50%
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Hello Please help

Hi. I am 21 years old and am in desperate need of size 26-28 tops and bottoms and 44-46 DD bras and very clean or new underwear. I figured it would be a great place to put this since it is the Big Ladies Club and I am also a big lady at nearly 320 lbs myself. Please email me at *********** if you can help me out. Thanks so much.