Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:27

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Question Stevia instead of Splenda?

HI all

just wondering if any of you have used Stevia as your sweetner in decaf coffee , desserts , recipies?? I tried it yesterday and I found it to be great. Its all natural , from a plant source and it works in coffee.

it has no calories . Is incredibly potent and its not aspartame!! i may just switch from splenda to stevia. It seems like its the more natural choice

Piera
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:37

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile

yes, i use both the liquid and the packets, i use the liquid in my coffee and when i whip cream. the stevia packets are handy for travelling. the packet does have 1 carb because of the filler.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 09:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Hi Mac.

I switched over too. I noticed that the splenda was putting me in a stall, not sure why it was, but it was.

My friend who Manages a GNC told me he has a lot of complaints (mainly from women) that the Splenda stalls them. So he suggested the Stevia. I use it faithfully now and have been back on the losing track!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:13

Cool

YA I opted for Stevia over Splenda because its more natural. I want to do atkins not jsut to lose some weight but also to get myself off of processed foods in general. And not just processed carbs. Iwant to try to eat foods that are in their most natural state. So I"M completely avoiding most cheeses, deli meats, hotdogs, and other processed meats. They really are full of alot of garbage our systems could do without. I bet that I'll feel better once I do this. I'll let you know how I feel and do with this approach!

Piera
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:36

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Great info! I'm currently using splenda, but I am definitely going to switch to stevia! I've heard of them before but never really thought to use them. Liquid with no fillers and no carbs? That sounds wonderful! I must try them!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:56

Stats: 211.5/200.5/140
BF:
Progress: 15%

Where do you find Stevia? I think I will switch from the Splenda.

thanks

#7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:36

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Lightbulb Thanks!!

I am switching too! Is Stevia easy to find?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:17
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

You probably won't find it in the grocery store. The FDA won't approve it as a sweetener, only as a "supplement". I found it at my local health food store. If you don't have any of those (or GNC centers) near you, try doing a search online, there are plenty of places that sell it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:19
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Everyone! MAC, I am in Toronto. Where do you get your Stevia? WHat is the brand? How much does it cost? Also how much do you use? Do you have to dilute it?

red
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by jesdorka
the packet does have 1 carb because of the filler.

What filler does yours have? The carb count depends on the filler used. I use the stevia/chicory root and it has 0 carbs (CDN label) per 1/2 tsp. I love it.

I posted some info about stevia not too long ago. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...6922#post766922

Most don't like stevia b/c it's been misused. Too much and it ruins the recipe. I definately like the stevia with filler best for this reason. It's much easier to manage.

Another way to make your own stevia with filler is to purchase a bottle of Chicolin and mix it with regular stevia powder. Here are the directions. Chicolin can be purchased in most HFS. http://www.greenalive.com/chicolin.html

I have a LC cooking with Stevia cookbook. Anyone else have this? I'd sure love to share stevia recipes on this forum.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:27

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs down

I tried stevia and couldnt stand the taste!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 17:15
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

MAC Artist --

Since you said this,

Quote:
I want to do atkins not jsut to lose some weight but also to get myself off of processed foods in general. And not just processed carbs. Iwant to try to eat foods that are in their most natural state. So I"M completely avoiding most cheeses, deli meats, hotdogs, and other processed meats. They really are full of alot of garbage our systems could do without. I bet that I'll feel better once I do this.

I wonder, have you read any of the paleo-diet books or looked at the Paleo boards here? Eating only foods in their most natural state - what you could theoretically hunt or gather and digest raw, if you had to - is what those diets are about. They're a little different from your basic LC, in that you can't have dairy (cave people weren't herders), or coffee (the beans need processing), or artificial sweeteners (obvious reasons there) -- but you can have a certain amount of fruit in season. I certainly don't want to mess you up if you're happy where you are, but in view of what you want to do with your diet, you might want to check them out. There might be some interesting information.

--Ruth

PS - I don't think I could do it. Way too much of a happy coffee addict!

PPS - The Paleo-diets don't require you to eat all of your food raw - cooking is fine. But you'd have to be able to eat it raw, in theory, if you had to. (So eggs and meat work, but potatoes don't because they'd make you sick if you ate them raw in any quantity.)

Last edited by RGale : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 17:17.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 17:22

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i buy stevia at the Real Canadian Superstore in the area where they sell equal, sweet-n-low etc. the liquid comes in a 60ml bottle for about $9, its brand name is Herbal Select and i only us a few drops at a time so a bottle lasts me a long time. the packets are also $9 and i can't recall the brand name as i threw away the box. the packet just has stevia extract on it.

wanda--the packet lists the ingredients as: rice maltodextrin, stevia rebaudiana(stevioside) extract, and silica-total carb 1 gram per pkt.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 19:16

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Stevia is not approved by UK authorities and not available.

I did find some rogue stevia and was not impressed. Strange aftertaste.

Splenda is a close to sugar as you will get but that is its main disadvantage. it has maltodextrin as a filler which can produce an insulin reaction and taking Splenda does little to wean one off the "sugar fix" sensation.

But I cannot drink Tea/coffee without some sweetner and have settled on Splenda now that it is available in the UK
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 20:05

I buy stevia at NOahs health food store. There are a few of them in Toronto. (BAthurst andsteeles, Spadina and bloor, yonge and eglinton) You can buy it in liquid form or in packets. I prefer the packets. Its a little more expensive than splenda, but u really use it sparingly.

As for its safety.. even though its not approved in the UK, there are alot of things that are on the market that we don't know are safe in the long run ie: aspartame, margarine, fat burners. So Stevia being a natural plant derived product shouldn't be such a threat when soo many really proven things that do harm already exist in the food that is sold nation wide.

The problem with Splenda is that is made from SUGAR. I wantt o stay far away from anyhting even remotely close to sugar.

As for the PAleo diet, I've heard of it but I"m not to sure if I have enough patience for it. It sounds too restricted and I am happy with atkins so far) I'll have to see how I do on atkins in the next few months. Be casue I am determined to give atkins at least 2 months time to see how I fare.

Piera