Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 17:57
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%
Default Wow! Ran my pre-Atkins foods through Fitday

Yikes. Out of curiosity, I just ran a typical pre-Atkins day's food through Fitday. What a shocker.

And this was a reasonably good day -- eating at home, no fries or pasta, etc.

Total calories: 3050
Carbs: 327 g!! (33%)
Fat: 144 g (44%)
Protein: 137 g (18%)

Holy cow. Quite an eye opener. Funny thing is my carb intake is actually under the recommended daily percentage. Can you believe it?

No wonder I'm so bloody fat! Pretty disgusting. I definitely never want to go back to pigging out on unhealthy foods like that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 18:02

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I remember reading that an average person consumes about 900 grams of carbs a day! I think I was one of them!! heheh
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 18:07
Registered Member

Stats: 200/186/160 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

WOW.

That is an eyeopener. I know I have trouble getting up to my calorie needs every day now. I am just not hungry enough to eat that much. I think that is a great idea.

I might just send in my hubby's food for one day at fitday and see what comes of it. Interesting thought.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 18:19
Former Couch Potato

900 g? Wow. Doesn't suprise me though. Like I said, this was a good day. If I'd used a typical day wiht a meal out with fries, etc it would have been more. Also I used a day I limited myself to one chocolate bar instead of 4!

I just can't believe I could eat so much and still be hungry all the time. I was constantly planning what I could eat next, even before I'd swallowed what was in my mouth.

It's so gross when you write it down like that. I can't believe what a glutton I was.

Now here I am eating almost half the calories, a fraction of the carbs and I'm never hungry.

Amazing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 19:18

Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

My fitday from jaunary when I was following more of 40/30/30 plan.
g cals
Fat: 91 823 28% (that's breakfast nowadays)

Carbs: 327 1223 42% (that's 2 1/2 weeks now)

Protein: 217 867 30%

Shocking.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 19:39

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Just checked back to when I was doing low cal high carb. 377 gr of carb and only 1162 cals. And I was starving.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 21:15

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

::faints::
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:04
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%
Default Wow!

Quote:
I might just send in my hubby's food for one day at fitday and see what comes of it. Interesting thought.

For mine it would probably be close to 1000g of carbs and he is thin! BTW, how is that possible, anyone? Just curious.

Great idea to do the check, K! Yes, and we were all starving on those carbs. I can relate so much to you, I was constantly hungry on carbs. I ate 200g white rice per day because I thougt it would not make me fat.....uh

Have a great weekend all!

Alina
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:16

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Alina,
according to Dr.Atkins, approximatley 30% of the human population doesn't have a problem with eating lots of carbs. Your husband sounds like one of them.

However, he is still going to produce lots of insulin, and that can have other health problems.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:21
SPOILED

Default Thanks Jim

...OK, I must have missed that, is it in the book?
Thank you....well, I try to influence him as good as I can, by making lowcarb foods.

Alina
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:25
Former Couch Potato

Alina, my husband isn't really following the diet. But he is trying to be supportive. I stopped making potatoes with dinner, and he's cut down his bread intake. A couple days this week he took a chef's salad for lunch instead of a sandwich. He also used to drink 2 juice boxes at lunch plus a piece of fresh fruit. Now he only has 1 juice and a club soda. Since Saturday, he's lost 5 pounds -- with no major changes. He still has a bit of bread with dinner. But he's also not eating the night snacks (chips, etc) because I don't buy them anymore.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:27

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Unhappy my husband is a carb o holic

he loves pizza and ice cream and the like...

then after hogging out, he's looking for more! I tell him he's hungry cuz of all the carbs, then he looks at me and says, "you're not???"

I just smile and give him a
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 02:32
SPOILED

Kaillean,

hi, you're up late, girl! And I've just had breakfast!
A good husband, I hear! Mine is supportive too, but he eats his croissants, ice-cream etc and I don't care, I really don't! That's the best thing with Atkins for me, these foods don't exist for me anymore and I have done nothing except following the plan.

Even if loosing doesn't come all at once (of course it doesn't!!!!) I will stick to it because I'm feeling so much better, I will not go back!

Happy lowcarb weekend to you all!

Alina
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 07:59

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I was one of those people who lived on carbs! Dry toast (well, maybe half the loaf) for breakfast, spaghetti and garlic bread for lunch, chips and cola for snacks, vegetable fried rice for dinner, WW desert, and this kind of eating went on for years! I never ate things that were "fatty" like meats or mayo or full fat dressing and I thought I was doing great since I was keeping it "low fat". I should plug that in to fitday just for the fun of it. I used to be able to eat a whole 16oz box of spaghetti noodles a day and then some! And rice? OMG! I could go through a 10 pound bag of rice in a week! I was always hungry and as soon as I ate, I wanted more! Even when I was stuffed and uncomfortable, the only thing that would stop me from eating was going to sleep. Then I'd wake up and start the cycle all over again. What a nightmare that was. Finding this WOE and this forum was a godsend! Thank you!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 11:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I find it really interesting too, just how much more FAT you can eat when the menu is high-carbs.

Most people would have a hard time eating half a stick of butter or swigging down ¼ cup of olive oil on its own or with a steak and salad. Yet one Big Mac with a small order of fries has more fat than that. So do 2 cream-filled donuts, or 2 slices of yer average pizzeria pizza.

Doreen