Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Yeast problems

I posted a question about mood swings and just a basicly feeling blah, about a week ago. The reply I got was it may be SAD or the winter blues. Well our winters here in the North are no fun but I feel it may be more diet related. I'm not trying to find fault with my diet, gosh I'm very pleased with my results. I have read Atkins chapter on Yeast problems anyone experienced anything like mine and what did you do to overcome it?

Loribell
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 09:56

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm so glad you brought this up because I suffer from yeast infection every month before TOM, sometimes really bad! In DANDR, he says the major contributor of the overgrowth of yeast are any form of sugar, starches, vinegar, mushroom, and any type of fermented food (I guess he means stuff like krauts, kimchee, pimientos, etc?). Over abundance of yeast in your system can slow your weight loss too. He mentions that yeast can be treated with all forms of free oxygen like ozone, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine dioxide, and garlic as well. Since I don't know where I'm going to get the first 3, I'm going to start eating garlic with every meal! He warns that when yeast dies, it creates a reaction that can make you feel really bad for a few days. He also recommends using psyllium and bentonite because people with yeast problems often suffer from constipation too, and taking these things can help improve your bowel condition. He also says that yeast infection coexists with food intolerance 75% of the time, so it's probably good to monitor your food and its effects to find out if you're intolerant of certain foods. Some of the most common foods are grains (corn, wheat, rye, oats), soy, mik, cheese, brewers and bakers yeast, potato, tomato, eggplants, paprika, tobacco, shellfish, beef, chicken, onions, mushrooms, pepper, other spices, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and eggs (gawd!). He says that most people become addicted to foods that they are intolerant to! When we quit eating these foods, our bodies will react with a withdrawal symptoms that makes us feel even worse for a few days. That's a tough one for me, because I eat a lot of beef, chicken, onions, mushrooms, spices, diet rites, tomatos, eggplants, vinegar, and eggs!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:44

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I had a problem w/yeast buildup about 2 mos. after I started this WOL. I found all kinds of different ideas as to how to remedy the situation. I decided to take Acidophilus- available at most (if not all) health food stores and some general pharmacies stock the dry capsules. Anyhoo, I took them for a few weeks or so (my memory fails me-- too much snow I guess), as well as cut back on cheese & mushroom intake, and my symptoms went away. Granted, it got worse before it got better, but heck, it's gone. I had the pleasure of this lovely devil coming out in the form of skin rashes/irritations that nothing- benadryl, cortizone or calamine- would take care of. After eliminating food allergies and build-up of vitamin c (my family has a history of adverse reactions to vit. c build-up), we took the yeast angle.

For more info on this type of stuff, you may want to check out the candida/yeast forum. There's loads of info in there, in fact, that's where I got the Acidophilus info.

Good luck!
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 11:00
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

http://www.totaldiscountvitamins.co...&SubfolderID=14

There is also a test you can take to see if you most likely are suffering from CANDIDA ALBICANS.

http://www.health-truth.com/questionnaire.asp