Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/202/161
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy HELP!! I have eaten over 240 Carbs today

Hi Everyone...hope you have all had a good day.

I on the other hand am a disgrace to the NO CARBS diet, as I felt weak today and ate over 250 of the blighters.

Let me give you a bit of background info...I am currently buying my dream house. Well that's what is supposed to be happening, but the sale of my current property has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. We sold it the first time round just before Christmas, but unfortunately the sale fell through. We nearly lost our dream house, but luckily we sold it again the same week. It has all been going nicely and we had hoped to be moving in in about two weeks. Anyway...I recieved a call today to say that our buyers are having troubles with their mortgage. To cut a long story short, this sale might fall through as well, meaning that this time we will lose the house.

OK...that was bad enough, but to top the lot my boss was in the fowlest of moods today and I found it all too much. I stopped at the shop at around 3.30pm and I brought... two packets of crisps ( potato chips ) three bars of chocolate ( and I am not even a chocolate person ) a tuna and sweetcorn soft roll ( bagette sized ) and a bottle of orange squash.

I felt bad eating it all, but I finished the lot!! Then in no more than 15 minutes I fely really ill...dizzy, headache, weak and the colour drained from my face. My colleagues commented on hoe pale I looked. Is this normal when you fall off the wagon and can I repair the damage I have done.

I feel so ashamed. please help

Lisa JJ xxxxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%

Wow, 250 g of Carbs!!!! That sounds like my typical diet before Atkins! Well, now you know what it feels like to consume that many carbs, kind of like a hangover huh? Check out the confession booth at:

Confession Booth

This gives you some useful information on what to do after a fall from the wagon and how to best get back on it. It also shows that you're not the only one who's had the odd little glitch with the diet. In the maintenance phase, the Atkins book gives you some advice for when/if you start to gain, rather than going back to your maintenance plan, it advises that you need to try inductin for a week or so to kick the ketosis back on.

Hope this helps, don't feel too bad, it's not the end of the world

Duncan
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:06

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Lisa,

Don't feel ashamed - we've all done it! Try to eat very little carbs tomorrow and the day after. Expect to immediatly put on a pound or two due to water retention but don't worry it'll go away in three or four days.

Maybe most important remember how ill you felt - it may stop you next time.

Good luck,

Robert (a fellow Brit)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:08

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Lisa: So sorry to hear about the setback! I would imagine the best thing you can do is get back in the saddle and adhere strictly to the plan now that the binge is over. As for being ashamed, it happened and now what you should focus on is learning from the experience. Maybe you should set some plans for future strategies in case things build up again to prevent a repeat occurence. I would imagine the sudden in-rush of carbs caused your symptoms - maybe remembering how bad it felt will hinder further binges Hang in there and jump right back into the program. Hopefully in a couple of days you'll feel better
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:21

BF:
Smile Thanks Shadow01

Thank you for you reply, I think you are right about remembering how I felt just 15 minutes after the BAD BIT
It reminded me very much of how I used to feel at the end of every day and also made me realise how good the Atkins plan makes me feel now, even after only 9 days on the plan.

This site is great isn't it...I don't know what I would have done without talking to people who know the plan.

Are you doing well? How long have you been LCing? How much weight have you dropped and do you feel GREAT!!

Well thanks again...hopefully there's a better day ahead for me tomorrow

Take care

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:28

BF:
Red face Sorry Just seen all the other replies !!!

SORRY...I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES...I WAS GOING TO START THE PLAN AGAIN TOMORROW NO MATTER WHAT, BUT NOW I FEEL SO EAGER FOR TOMORROW TO COME, SO I CAN BE A GOOD LIL ANGEL AGAIN.

LOW CARBS FOR ME...FOREVER!!!!

HI FELLOW BRIT

BLESS YOU ALL

LISA XX
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:38

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

dunkyboy.....I love that name...

#8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:50

BF:

Hi Lisa Just think how good you're going to feel once you get back into the swing of things!

Yes, this forum is an absolutely wonderful place for information and support. I end up here more times a day than I probably should ! But of all the low carb forums I've seen, this is absolutely my favorite

In answer to your question, I started out last August just cutting out flour, sugars and trans fats (eating cleaner). Then I decided to go to a more low carb approach. I read several books and finally settled on Protein Power. I've only truly been low carbing since around the beginning of the year.

Best of luck getting back to it
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:41
Registered Member

Thanks Ladybug I think the name and the Calvin character reflect my youthfulness.

Also, I have to say hello to all the Brits on here from a fellow Brit (but living inthe USA) .

I wasn't sure if the Atkins plan was big over there, I'd mentioned it to my sister who still lives there and she had a bad impression of the plan. What is the general impression of the Atkins plan over in the UK? Is it still frowned upon or are they turning around like they are in the US???

Duncan
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:02

BF:
Talking DunkyBoy

HEY DUNKYBOY,

I THINK US BRITS ARE ACTUALLY WARMING TO THE ATKINS DIET, AS THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF POSITIVE PROGRAMMES AND ARTICLES ABOUT IT LATELY.

I THINK EVERYONE IS JUST SO SICK OF LOW FAT PLANS, I LOST 33.5 LBS A YEAR OR SO AGO ON A LOW FAT DIET, BUT HERE I AM ONE AND A HALF YEARS LATER WITH ALL THAT WEIGHT BACK, PLUS 3 MORE POUNDS

I WAS AWARE OF THE AKTINS PLAN, AS I USED TO LIVE IN FLORIDA. I TRIED THE DIET THERE FOR A WHILE, BUT I FOUND I COULDN'T COPE WITH EATING ALL THE MEAT WHEN IT WAS ALWAYS SO HOT. THE SHORT TIME I WAS ON THE PLAN I COULD SEE THE BENEFITS...SO I STARTED THE PLAN THIS TIME KNOWING IT WAS GREAT. IF THERE WAS ANY BAD PRESS AT THE TIME, I WOULDN'T HAVE CARED.

YEAH I HAD A BAD DAY YESTERDAY, BUT TODAY HAS BEEN GREAT AND I HAVE STAYED WELL WITHIN MY CARB RANGE.

SO, OVERALL I THINK DR ATKINS IS WINNING US OVER...HE DEFINITELY HAS ME HOOKED...LOL

TAKE CARE

OH BTW...DO YOU MISS ENGLAND? WHAT PART WERE YOU FROM?

TAKE CARE

LISA
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Lisa!

I think we have all "been there, done that" at one time or another. My advice when things like that happen would be to not wait until tomorrow, but to get right back on track again with the very next thing you eat. Don't use one slip as an excuse to continue it for the rest of the day.
What's done is done and can't be undone, so it's best to pick yourself up, forgive yourself and get right back to it again. It might help, though, to come up with a plan on how to better handle stress without eating for comfort, especially since you found out that it was anything but comforting.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:57
Registered Member

LisaJJ (Too many Lisa's in this thread).

I'm from Yorkshire originally, been in the states for 6 years and really that's when my weight gain started. I notice whenever I go back 'home' that the foods and drinks are nowhere near as sweet as they are over here. My mum's coming across next month and she say's she's bringing over her own butter becasue the butter over here is too sweet!

I have the occasional slip up, usually at parties where the alcohol flows and the snacks are plentyful. I think I'm at a stage now where I just stall for a few days after a slip up. I've learned to drink plenty of water after I've consumed a load of carbs to try and flush them out of my system and that seems to work pretty well. Soon, your cravings will go and it won't seem so much of a treat or comfort to endulge in carbs as it used to. You'll start finding solace in nuts, veggies, or even the dreaded Atkins bars!!!!!

No Biggie! stick with it and all will be well. Personally I'm amazed with how I've managed so far, wht I change I've gone through this past 3 months,
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 17:02

BF:

Hey, LisaJJ, way to go getting back into the swing of things!