Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:16

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Piriformis syndrome

Has anyone that has this tried the shot?

Mine has flared up again, and this time I don't even know why!!

I have already taken two bottles of pain pills and muscle relaxers which do no good. Am thinking of calling the doctor to see if I can get a shot, but was wondering if anyone has experience in this.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:36

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default Ditto on Piriformis syndrome

I just came over here to ask the same question .
I have been dying all morning and can barely sit, stand .or lay down. I think I aggrevated mine moving some furniture.......DUH.

Now I just can't concentrate to do anything.!!!!!!!!

Just wondering if there is anything natural to help relax these aching muscles.

Debbie
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:04

It is peculiar when you think of it. There doesn't seem to be anything that helps as would normally help a cramped up muscle.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/176/130
BF:?
Progress: 38%

Just my 2 cents..... I am almost finished with my MS in Physical Therapy.....(I complete coursework in 10 weeks)....
Piriformis Syndrome occurs when the piriformis muscle is tight. Sometimes it can compress on the sciatic nerve (a nerve in the buttock) and sciatic nerve compression can cause pain in the buttock.
If you see a doctor, a referral to Physical Therapy could be beneficial....to learn stretches and self-treatment techniques. Also, there may be muscular imbalances, etc that can be identified and treated by a PT.

I hope this helps!!!

Cher
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 05:37

Default Thanks, Cher...

and welcome!

Unfortunately, I know all about the syndrome. What seems to be the case is there isn't much relief!

I have had it pop up three times in the last year and lose about six weeks of my life (or at least that is the way I feel) when it does. This time, it is affecting my job.

I don't think there are a lot of doctors with much experience in it. I addressed it with my rheumy, because I happened to have an appointment. She ordered no tests of any kind, just gave me drugs and said come back in two weeks. She doesn't even know for sure that this is really the problem!
Tomorrow I go to an ortho about it.

I know about the stretches and already do many of them because of a lateral release done on the other leg. They don't help!

Since you are going to be out there, let me give you this information.. For most sufferers, the conservative approach that doctors seem to want to take does not really help. And I don't believe that doctors understand the constant, unrelenting pain that is associated with it. There is no comfortable position. It hurts as much lying down as it does sitting. And swimming hurts too. And it is not a muscle hurt. It is a searing, nerve pain. It starts in my butt and runs down my thigh and goes past my knee, then goes to the outside of my ankle and under my heel. There are days when I can't even put my foot on the floor. I have limped from my living room to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and couldn't make it back out. But the rheumy would not even ok a "no work" note. And no amount of muscle relaxers or pain pills helps. Or heat.
Just a little info to take with you on your practice. Sometimes, the text books don't say it all.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 05:41

Default Another thought...

I read a story on the interet about one woman's journey regarding PS.

She was in constant pain. Took the shots, but they only helped for a few days.

After going through this pain for a long time, she finally convinced the doctor to do exploratory surgery.

He found a big (and I mean big) ball of scar tissue and removed it. She is completely pain free now.

Why does the doctor make you wait and suffer for so long before they do anything? I don't get that part. They have found in cadavers, that a large percentage (I think 58) have the nerve in the wrong place. So a release of the muscle, would stop the pain also. Yet, they'll operate on your knee in a heartbeat!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 17:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/176/130
BF:?
Progress: 38%

Quietone-
I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. I didn't know that you had already tried all of the conservative measures. It definitely sounds as though there is impingment of your sciatic nerve. I hope that the ortho that you see will be able to offer you some relief.
I indeed know that from clinical experience that everyone does not repsond to conservative treatment....if patients do not respond, I send them back to their doctor and either give the MD a call with my thoughts or send a letter.

I wish you the best.

Cher
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 03:47

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

You may also have adhesions in there and doing massage and stretching to break the adhesions up may give you some relief. See my post regarding adhesions and fibromyalgia here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ermal+adhesions

I also had a very mild flare up of the same thing this weekend from doing some work around the house (getting it ready to sell), but the next morning I was fine again.