Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 04:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/204/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Sneaked a peek...now disappointed.

Okay, I kept telling myself not to check the scale until my self-designated day of the 9th... but it's 4am, I am up all night working on a paper WITHOUT a stitch of caffeine, and my mind wandered. In fact, it took my body with it right to the scale.

I haven't lost one single pound. Oh, how truly frustrating. Maybe it's because I have only been to the gym once since re-starting. I don't know. I have been drowning myself in water (I must have had nearly two gallons today), and have been really good. I am SO FRUSTRATED and SO DISAPPOINTED.

I've read some posts where people complain about having a harder time the second time around... how true is this??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:11
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 265/258/165
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hey, there!

Now, I have only been LCing for a week and a half, and I can tell you I was seriously disappointed until day 7 or 8. Not 1lb had come off. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, WHOOSH. 4 dropped off.

Stuff the scale back under your bed and do not look at it right away. Under CAD, I am supposed to check everyday, but that can get depressing. I now hide the sucker so I do not see it, therefore I am not as tempted to hop on it every 12 minutes.

Don't stress, you have done this before (according to your profile), you know the weight will come off!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:12

Stats: 178/166.0/140 Female 5'9"/174cm
BF:30.4/30.4/25?
Progress: 32%

Look at it this way - if only 1 of the 2 gallons you drank was still in your body when you stepped on those scales, it would have showed around an extra 8 lbs of pure water-weight.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 06:38
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%
Talking

I went three days with out moving, OK, I did move once, but that was up a 1/2 pound! And on Induction too! A hard pill to swallow I am following the diet with my husband, and we both keep each other up when not seeing the rusults we want to see. Reminding each other how much better we feel over all. Well after 5 days of stalling, I the WHOOSH fairy finally stopped at my house First only with a 1/2 pound, but a steady fall after that!

It was hard to judge my progress without the scale, because I never took any measurements to at least claim an inches victory.
My husband to stalled and is just starting to move again. But even when i stayed the same, I would think of how much I had eaten for the day, before following the diet, it would have been a gain!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 06:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192.5/177.2/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

So glad to hear that I'm not the only one "stalled". And hopefully the "whoosh fairy" will come visit me soon also. I am not tempted to eat anything sugary (which is amazing). I lost 5 lbs as of last Friday (week 1) but only 1/2 lb since then. I too am soooooooooo tempted to keep getting on the scale and so depressed when it doesn't say what I want it to. What a wonderful place to be able to vent! Good luck everyone and hang in there hopefully we will wake up and "whoosh"! lol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 07:39

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Lose weight while you sleep

Hi there,

You said you were up all night working on a paper. You will not release water weight until you sleep. Most people are up 2 pounds in the evening from where they were in the morning.

So hang in there and weigh yourself after a good night's sleep!

Amy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 07:57

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default I agree...

with Amy about not weighing yourself if you didn't have a full night's sleep. It does make a difference.

Also, if you have yo-yo dieted, as a lot of us have, your body may take a little while to decide you mean it this time.

I have had a really hard time this time because I have gone off and on low carb for a couple of days so often now, my body just seems to say "yeah, right" when I start low carbing again.

Hang in there!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Stats: 211/204/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Talking Thanks for all your support!

Wow,

It's nice to see that there are so many possibilities for why the weight isn't falling off like it did the first time. The whole yo-yo effect does make sense... I guess I will stay off the scale until the 9th, until I have slept all night, and until I have had a chance to get rid of some of this huge amount of water I seem to regularly drink!!! AM weigh-in it shall be.

Hopefully my body will soon get the major hint that the LC WOL is not going anywhere.

I am anxiously awaiting my WHOOSH!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hi

I had to smile at your first post. I just told a friend yesterday how fustrated I've been about losing and gaining a half a pound for the last week, that I had this cartoon of me jumping up and down on my scale, screaming at it. Thankfully my mind is using humor and not worrying like I use to.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Oh no, she looked at the scale!!!- Actually, I am wondering how much was the water and food you ate during the day. Please hang in there- by the way, at 4 am I wouldn't even be able to see the numbers clearly!!!
Jan
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I still weigh myself every morning. And yes, when the scale is up 1 or 2 lbs. during the day when the scale is up, I end up watching my salt intake, and avoid the franken-foods. I have to tear myself away from the scale. I plan to weigh myself again tomorrow and then will wait a week (arrrgh!) until Friday, the 14th.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 09:40

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Another thing to think about is a hormonal reason for possibly retaining water. The day before my TOM, I'm generally 3-4 lbs heavier. I know it's just retained water but it's discouraging. Keep doing what you know is right and try not to worry about the scale!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 23:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 189/187/124 Female 60.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Angry Darn scales.

I haven't been on mine since last Wednesday (3/19) and that's when I take measurements.

When I did CAD (which is great for maintenance for me but not for losing) I had to weigh myself everyday. That got annoying when I saw the scale go up 3 pounds in three days.

Anyway, I weigh and measure myself once a week. And that's enough!

That's why I don't do it everyday now. So I don't get discouraged.