Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/163/148
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Newbie snack question

I am learning so much from everyone here and also reading Atkins' New Diet Revolution. I did have a question about a snack I remember seeing at the store called Slim Jim. I wish I had written down the nutrition facts, but offhand it seemed like a legitimate portable snack. Is anyone familiar with it????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 20:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

I looked on the Net & could mostly find ads for the things to buy online. But here's one article about the founder:
Elegy for Adolph
Adolph Levis has died. His story is pure Americana, and he might literally have touched your life (or at least your lips) as he did mine. Adolph invented the "Slim Jim" -- the slick little beef-stick wrapped in cellophane and sold as a snack food, mostly in convenience stores. Years ago (before I discovered nutrition), I was hooked on Slim Jims, and lots of folks still are hooked, for $150 million worth of the things are sold each year.

Levis got the idea for his beef-stick concoction during the depression when he was peddling such edible delights as pickled pigs' feet in Pennsylvania. He hired a local meatpacker to develop his thin, dried beef stick. His logo was an elegant-looking man in a top hat whom he dubbed "Slim Jim." Slim James would've been more elegant, but that's a little prissy for bar food.

There's nothing prissy about this little item, more of a "beef-like" snack than anything that's pure cow. The mushed-up beef organs have been eliminated and some chicken stuff has been added, but it still has its original 30 magic spices and the zesty lactic acid culture that ferments for 17 hours. The whole mixture is cooked for 20 more hours, poured into molds, dried, packaged -- and shipped to a store or bar near you. Adolph's original slogan for this treat, by the way, was "Make Your Next Drink Taste Better."

I can tell you from experience that nearly anything will taste better after a Slim Jim. But still, I loved 'em, and I'm glad Adolph Levis was in my life. And for you hoity-toities who wouldn't let such low-class meat parts touch your lips: What do you think "sweet breads" are? And don't even ask how foie gras is produced.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I would think there might be a lot of salt in these but I'm not sure as I've never had one. I know a lot of low-carbers snack on them. However, there are posts here that indicate that they are a "your mileage may vary" thing and you'll have to try them & see how you do.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 22:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%

Hi Tess!

Last time I checked Slim Jims contain sugar. Could be wrong... but I think they do...

viv
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/227/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up

I buy a container of slim jims from Walmart. 15 in a pack.Heres the facts.
3 pieces,carbs 2, fiber 1, sugar 0
So enjoy and welcome to the forums!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

I love them, and snack on them from time to time, but for the most part I have to stay away from them. For some reason they are a trigger food for me! I always.... ALWAYS want something sweet after I eat one!

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:41

Stats: 170/163/148
BF:
Smile

Thanks for the info ! I am looking for things I can grab and carry with me to work or out of town. Guess I'll be heading to Walmart.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:56

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sound like about the same thing as Hot Rods-I bought a box of 20 (they're only about 4" long and really skinny- to keep in my backpack for 'emergencies'. Same counts as the slimjims, but it's better than grabbing something HC in my opinion. I still have a few in my bag from at least a month ago.
N.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 06:32

Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Isn't <b>Slim Jim</b> a pack of thin cigarettes in the US?.....
(ok ok. i shut up. surely they do not look the same!)