Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 07:45

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 125//115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Strawberry Extract?

I just found Strawberry extract at my local grocery store. Has anyone used this before? I was thinking it may be a good idea to use with unflavored gelatin. Is this more economical that buying a box of Jello gelatin? Also, it may be a good idea to mix with cottage cheese. What do ya'll think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:40

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Here's something I found that I assume applies to natural strawberry extract as opposed to imitation:
Quote:
Vitamin E & Vitamin C: Especially Spinach and Strawberry Extract! An experiment carried out by the US researchers showed that if rats are fed a diet that contains added antioxidant for six months, the rate of mental decline is slowed when compared to rats fed a conventional diet. The rats that were fed a diet containing spinach had the fewest age-related declines in mental function. Those eating the added strawberry extract were next, followed by rats receiving added vitamin E. (Vitamin E is often used in antioxidant studies because of its proven antioxidant properties).
Researchers have found a link in relation to antioxidant damage to the brain and the onset of Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. The phytochemicals in spinach and strawberry extract, particularly those with antioxidant properties, could provide protection against the onset of these degenerative diseases. Therefore, foods such as spinach and strawberry extract may be more effective than just pure vitamin E because foods and extracts contain a variety of phytochemicals rather than just one active ingredient.

Anyway, even imitation strawberry extract seems fine. Use in homemade ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, shakes, strawberry flavored whipped cream, cream cheese, you name it!

#3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Sounds yummy! I think I'll look for strawberry extract when I go to Walmart this weekend! Thanks for the idea!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:47
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just be careful. I've been having some problem with reactive hunger, drowsiness and nearly being knocked out of ketosis. I couldn't figure out the problem until I realized I was eating cheesecake with alcohol extracts in it. Luckily, I keep track of all my data and was able to track the problem to the extract.

Granted, I think I'm very sensitive to alcohol, but keep this in mind if you are having problems after consuming the extracts.

Enjoy,
Wanda