Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 158/148/120
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Real Bakery - Low Carbs- Boston - Order Online too!!!

Hi,

I am new to this board and found it very useful. This is the first time I have posted.

I found a great bakery in New Hampshire. I drove up from Boston to go there.

There muffins have 6g of carbs.

There cookies have 2.5g.

They have bread with 6g.

There cheese cake has 1g. You cn eat a whole cheesecake!!

They have ice cream, a pint has 5.

And then they have all sorts of pastries with 15, a bit higher but ok.

Now this stuff tastes awesome!! I couldn't believe it. I am going there tomorrw to by the stuff myself. a friend let me try everything. I could not believe how good the stuff was.

There website is http://www.chatilasbakery.com/.

They offer online ordering and delivery.

Check out some of the stories written about them.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/st...0206/LI_001.htm

Just do a search for Chatila's in Salem MA.

There is also another bakery that has more of a selection to order online. They have a less than 10 carb pizza and a lot more.

http://www.guilt-free.com/

I am going to check this one out maybe next week.

I'll post what I think. If anyone buys anything let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 23:38

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

It looks wonderful!! I was wondering though...did you notice the ingredients on the muffins and cookies? It said "flour".......they dont specify what type of flour and I wonder if its white flour. If it is how could it be low-carb?
I emailed and asked them about it.....I'll let you know what they say.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 03:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

They may be sugar-free (and some of them low-fat), but with the first two ingredients being flour and margarine on almost every recipe, they're not very low carb.

Also, the Nutrition Information just doesn't add up or is incomplete.

Excercise extreme caution, and especially for folks new to low-carb, do your research and get to know about labels, they simply can't be taken at face value, use the Hidden Carbs Inspector here at the website, and (depending on the plan you're on) count ALL the carbs you have verified.

Sheesh, if you have (for example) a 30g carb "allowance" for the day, and 1 slice of bread is 6g, you're going to have one very tough day!

SIG: Products Moderator
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 08:57
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Yes, and I imagine with LCing becoming more and more popular, stores like these are going to be popping up everywhere. It would be wise to inspect the ingredients closely 'cause just slappng a "Low Carb" label on the thing doesn't make it so!!

My local health food store has a large LC section, as well as labeling the shelves with any other products that are LC The store's business had doubled! They're having trouble keeping stocked up! I would imagine there's plenty of folks itchin' to jump into the business....regardless of their experience or intention.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 09:35

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I got a reply back and am still skeptical.....here's what they said......

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Everything except the mountain
bread, which is made with whole wheat flour, is made with reg
white flour. It is the amount of flour used that makes it
low carb. Also, our cheesecake, which is very low in carbs,
has no flour at all. Thank you~
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:

Well I went to Chatila's today and spoke to the customers not only the people that work there. I had to wait in a line of at least 50 there. They have been in business for years and everything is guarenteed.

I spoke to a few ladies who are on the Atkins diet and they swear by this food. They told me it is legit and that it is great.

They guarentee their Nutrition facts.

I have a menu with the ingredients and facts. For instance:

Cheesecake
Calories 48
Fat 0
Cholesterol 0
Sugar 0
Sodium 0
Carbs 1.05
Fiber .15

Mountain Bread
Calories 100
Fat 0
Cholesterol 0
Sugar 0
Sodium 0
Carbs 6
Fiber 5.5

I don't see any hidden carbs in there.

Island Girl - the bread is mountain bread. It has 6g of carbs for the whole round piece which I would use for two sandwhiches. It is well worth it.

This stuff is the best diet food I have ever tasted. The cheesecake tastes like regular cheesecake. The cookies are pretty good and the bread taste like regular pita bread.

I recommend it 100% I can eat a whole cheesecake for 8 1/2 grams of carbs. Who can go on a diet and eat a cheesecake a day.

If you guys tasted this food I am sure you would agree.

I know you have to watch out these days, but this one is ok. I would recommend ordering something and giving it a try.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Mar-11-03 at 19:31.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hollypc: I can accept that those are the numbers that bakery is giving out. But if those are the "Nutrition Facts" that they claim as accurate for their products, I would be EXTREMELY SCEPTICAL and not trust them.

For example, what kind of a cheesecake has NO FAT

No fat = no cheese!

And if they claim that for the cheesecake, then I'll take the rest with not just a grain of salt, but with the whole box of salt. Sorry.

I think that Island Girl's advice is absolutely correct: exercise extreme caution in accepting a company's own carb count before ordering or eating. Sad but too often the case: if it seems too good to be true............

Last edited by IslandGirl : Fri, Mar-07-03 at 12:54.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:

What kind of cheesecake has NO fat?

Cheesecake made with fat-free cream cheese.

This bakery fills thousands orders a week. It is a reputable company. If you go to any weight watchers meeting in MA or NH they are recommened.

I went to the gym today, Curves, and the lady there told me she has been going there for 6 months. It is well recommended.

If you don't want to believe it then fine.
But I have lost 3 pounds in three days and I ate a whole cheese cake between yesterday and today. I had a sandwhich with bread last night and some cookies that taste like regular cookies.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I must admit that I have never heard of "fat free cream cheese" but then I don't look for low-fat products.

I guess I should have said: what kind of a low carb cheesecake would have no fat? Why would a "low carb" product try to have no fat when fat is not a problem in low carbing? So that's why I really wonder about the carb counts.

However, your comment that Weight Watchers recommends their products makes much more sense. WW does worry about fat content and tries to keep it very low. Sugar-free is a good idea for anyone, losing weight or not.

#10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 18:41
Registered Member

BF:

I am trying to figure it out. I sent an email to the company to try to get more info.

I'll let you know what they say.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:33
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's gotta be the worst nutrition label I've ever heard of! "Crumbs" as an ingredient? No protein? No fat? What, is it made of air? I can't wait to hear their reply!

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Mar-11-03 at 19:32.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 17:33

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I thought the main points of Atkins were to avoid white flour, sugar and starch. Even if the bakery purports its products to be low in carbs, the fact that everything, except the mountain bread, is made with regular white flour, makes me lose interest in the bakery quickly.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:31

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. There's a whole bunch of us MA/NH lowcarbers who used to flock to Chatila's. One by one they are all slowly figuring out it's what's stalling them. I questioned it all long ago. The carb counts don't add up. I just don't trust food I didn't cook anymore. Yeah, the cheesecake is tasty, but just what ARE the crumbs on the bottom we all ask....and everything else is made with flour, plain old bad for your flour.

Trek up to Lowcarb Heaven in Amherst or Manchester. They have some treats that may be a little better for ya. The brownies in the fridge are to die for! HTH! And the people at LCH are nice, at Chatila's they are rude, not the least bit helpful, and do not appear to appreciate the business, more like customers are an inconvenience.

Also, places like Hannaford and De Moulas are starting to carry low carb products. Check it out!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 15:01

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Eh heh. I wouldn't call their reply satisfactory. I wouldn't trust that at all. Crumbs....crumbs of what?! Fat free cream cheese has 14.5 carbs per cup per fitday. I tried to enter the cheesecake into fitday once, it never comes out right like their label claims. Try doing it on a hidden carb counter too. Many have. There's plenty of people who question the carb count. ...

We'll see if you still feel the same way about Chatila's in 5 or 6 months. Been there, done that. Heard lots of others say the same. I sincerely hope your losses continue, but if you find youself in a stall, I'd look at the bakery goodies first. Half a cheesecake a day is a lot Just trying to give you some advice cause I've been through it already.

You ate the cookies? They have FLOUR!

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Mar-11-03 at 19:32.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:

How can the counts be wrong. Wouldn't that be illegal to state that?