Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 16:14

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfrybat
Where do you find coconut oil? I looked in two grocery stores (Walmart and Krogers) but couldn't find it. Thanks.

For anyone interested who who currently lives near a Walmart or Kroger store, both of these stores do carry it nowadays. The name brand (prominent on the label) is LouAna and it's a tall round white container with black lid, maybe four inches in diameter and several inches (8 or 9?) tall. It will be right next to other cooking oils. Liquid and messy in summer, best spooned out of the plastic jar (not poured or it dribbles all over), and solid and hard to scoop out in winter, but worth the hassle. This is just a basic coconut oil not describing itself as extra virgin or anything like that but has an advantage of being relatively inexpensive for those on a tight food budget.

Last edited by Zei : Fri, Jun-01-12 at 16:35.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 09:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Interesting perspective, M Levac, as always. I know cows don't normally live on fat, but I wonder if they can. Surely storing excess calories is a survival mechanism for them as well, and perhaps they can live on a diet of primarily saturated fat as well, whether from internal or external sources. I understand that the cow has a special digestive system to accommodate all that cellulose, but I wonder if it can adapt to a high sat fat diet if needed just as our digestive system can accommodate a variety of foods. I've never read anything on this, but it does make me wonder.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 10:10

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

My Kroger (king soopers) carries the Spectrum brand of coconut oils. They are in the same aisle as other oil in glass jars.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 10:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just a warning, this thread is really old and has been recently bumped. I miss that sometimes.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 18:02

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I'll offer another point of view.

Saturated fat along exposed in the air are safe, because it is saturated and difficult to be saturated(like by oxygen) again.

Unsaturated fat inside anything that is protected against Oxidizing agents such as as oxygen is safe.

Unsaturated fat along exposed to air is not safe which can be oxidized easily.
Even worse, if you heat it up or cook food with it which in term speed up oxidization process.

So if you like unsaturated fat, try foods containing unsaturated fat.
If you like salad dressing, try not to let them exposed in the air long.
If you want to cook, try butter, lard or tallow.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 19:47

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Just a warning, this thread is really old and has been recently bumped. I miss that sometimes.

thanks for the heads up
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 20:42

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
For anyone interested who who currently lives near a Walmart or Kroger store, both of these stores do carry it nowadays. The name brand (prominent on the label) is LouAna and it's a tall round white container with black lid, maybe four inches in diameter and several inches (8 or 9?) tall. It will be right next to other cooking oils. Liquid and messy in summer, best spooned out of the plastic jar (not poured or it dribbles all over), and solid and hard to scoop out in winter, but worth the hassle. This is just a basic coconut oil not describing itself as extra virgin or anything like that but has an advantage of being relatively inexpensive for those on a tight food budget.

Best to get EVCO if you want the health benefits, LouAnna is very highly processed. You can get EVCO in the vitamin section at WM, any healthfood store, GNC, or online.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-12, 22:07

I haven't tried any other brands but I really like this stuff

from their description:

Quote:
To make our Organic Virgin Coconut Oil our supplier starts with freshly harvested coconuts that are de-husked and grated. Then, when the meat of the coconut is still fresh, it’s cold pressed and filtered to remove any remaining pieces of the fruit. That’s the process. Nothing more. Some coconut oil is extracted using high heat, chemicals and even bleach. Not ours. Producing the oil in this more pure, natural way, we are able to retain the nutrients, flavor characteristics and aromas of fresh coconuts.

ETA: that's a glass jar, not plastic.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 12:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Huzzah for TJ's — maybe. Do they know how their EVCO is stored prior to decanting in glass bottles? The only time I checked, in 2003, *both* US suppliers of EVCO in glass jars — Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family Naturals — received their EVCO in plastic barrels with a "food-grade" lining. Nobody could tell me if there was BPA in that lining. If nothing's changed, glass jars for retail sale are still better than plastic, but the oil might not be pristine.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 13:20

Good question. It is from the Philippines but packed in the USA, so the odds are it is shipped here in the plastic barrels. But I have no other information.