Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/233/200
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question 20g of carbs

Hi all!!.

I am on my 7th day of induction and i dont think that i am eating enough of carbs, what will happen if i dont eat atleast 20g a day. I have never really been a salad eater and i have to force them down. I eat vet also, but no more than a 1/2 cup a day. Basically i was wondering will it help or hurt if you dont eat 20g of carbs a day. but i am drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 13:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi there!

Staying well below 20 grams of carb a day won't help you lose any faster and you're missing a lot of fiber and some important nutrients by not eating the veggies. If you don't like salads, there are a lot of other veggies on the allowed list for induction. How about giving some of those a try instead?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 15:13

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

I have found if I dont get enough carbs or enough calories I actually stall.

jaden
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 15:16

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Veggies

I echo what Lisa has said, veggies are important on this way of life and you need to eat enough to be near 20 g carbs a day. You will not be getting your bodies systems in balance if you do not.

I am sure that there must be a number of vegetables you like. Remember you can smother them in butter, olive oil, or mayonnaise to make them taste better. They are a great source of fibre and nutrients and will stop you becoming constipated.

Why not try some vegetables you have not tasted before. I tried butternut squash for the first time this weekend, but this is to high carb for induction. Remember you can fry your veggies or roast them as well as boiling or steaming them if you are not into raw salad vegetables.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/233/200
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up thanks

ok, thanks i just need to quit making excuses and eat the salads and veggies, its really hard when your a corn lover, but i'll put some variety to it, you never know i might actually like them. thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 00:05

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default salad mix

HI,

I found that I love the pre made salads in a large bag you can find in the grocery store. The ones with arugula are delicious. It has a nutty taste and with blue cheese dressing, yummmyy!!!

Kat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 04:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I've been doing Atkins about 5 months now and I still have trouble some days getting my 20 carbs in. I eat and I eat well, cheese and mushroom omlette and sausages for breakfast, eating a big salad and chicken at lunch and protien of some sort and a cup of veggies at dinner. So I eat my veggies but I really don't snack much so unless I have a snack of mac nuts or some cheese, I usually don't get all 20 carbs in and I'm not hungry so I'm not going to eat just to eat. (that is one habit I'm trying to break!) I think that your body tells you how much you can handle!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 05:05

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kathy could be me! I'm in the exact same situation as her. I try my best to up my carbs but am not comfortable eating when I'm not hungry. I used to do that all the time and am now paying the price!! I also try to get most of my carbs from veggies, not eggs, cream, cheese, nuts so that makes it a bit more difficult. It does, however, give me some room to move if I do happen to get hungry and want something other than veggies.

N.