Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 19:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Unhappy no whoosh 4 me

Hi everyone,

I weighed this morning. I didn't loose anything. It's a bit disheartening since I felt I stuck to my diet and even worked out every single day. I thought that i would at least loose a couple of lbs. But nada ,zippo, nothing. I think the whoosh fairy got drunk last night and forgot to stop by. This morning I went to work and someone had brought in homemaid apple danishes. I thought to myself "screw it i'll just eat one, i'm not loosing anything by sticking on my diet so i might as well have one or 2" ,but i didn't. I stuck to my celery and ranch. I think that my problem was that i made 3 different batches of quiche last week and had quiche for 2 out of 3 meals last week. I think my calorie intake was too high. my other theory is that since i lifted weights 4 times last week is that i gained muscle and like every fat person says 'muscle weighs more then fat". My wife says i look like i lost, and i do feel better.

Well i decided to go back to what i was doing before. nothing but meat and veggies. No more fancy quiches. I will eat steak, chicken, turkey, and veggies.i am still going to exercise and drink my water. Does anyone have any theories on the quiche? Do you think that's what stalled me? i DON'T KNOW I've stalled before. recently for a whole month ,but i had cheated here and there on my diet and thought that must be the reason. I just don't see why with all my hard work this week why i couldn't loose at least one lb. It makes me a little

sorry to complain so much. I just had to vent. by 4 now.

Jon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 21:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jon...

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Have you been measuring? My husband has been lifting weights 3 times a week and hasn't lost a pound since he started in January. The good news is that we measured this morning (I can see that he's getting smaller, even if the scale doesn't say so...scales lie) and he's lost 7 inches, mostly from his stomach and hips. If you have equal volumes of muscle and fat, the muscle does weigh more. If you have equal weights of muscle and fat, the fat will take up more space.
It's possible that the quiche may be responsible, especially if you are one of those people who are sensitive to eggs or dairy. OTOH, it may not be.
Congrats on not letting your frustration lead you to a carb binge. That kind of self-discipline will pay dividends if you stick with it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 22:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Hi Jon.

Not losing stinks. I know. I sat in a funk for quite some time. Until I realized that the induction plan is generalized. You need to fine tune it to your bodies needs.

I lost quite a bit of weight, and my weight decided it would sit and lay dormant for a few months. One day I took a good look at my food intake and realized I got very little fiber, I ate ONLY salad veggies and was not having alot of fat either.

I started cooking in butter and eating spinach or brussels sprouts and BAM it made the difference. I say switch it up a little and find your induction niche.

As for the quiche, I can't imagine that doing it but stranger things have happened. PLUS excessive protein packs on alot of muscle. You may have had a huge protein intake with the eggs.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 22:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

Hi,

Thanks u guys. I think both are good suggestions. I have been thinking about measuring for a WHILE, and I know I don't get enough fiber. I think my fat intake is plenty though. I'm not a big spinach and brusslesprout fan do u have any other suggestions for stuff i can eat with good fiber? (maybe something that taste good) chicken has fiber right? j/k

Jon
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 06:38
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Morning BigGuyJonC

Darn that scale. Don't let it get to you though, I've been looking through a lot of diet books this weekend and although I would definetly say DON'T (it gets to me if I do) one of them was recommending a daily weighing and making a chart and averaging the weight loss that way. Thats a bit time consuming and you run the risk of getting discouraged on the days you appear to go up. The risk with once a week weighing is that your weigh in day is one in which you appear to go up or not down.

So it's possible that you have lost and its not showing because its was a day with a false gain. (Am I making any kind of sense, I started out knowing what I was trying to say )

Very true and possible about muscle also, maybe you have lost acouple of pounds of fat but replaced it with the same amount of muscle. I think the comparison I saw once was that the volume of a pound of fat might be say the size of shoe box, while a pound of muscle would be the size of less than half that box.

You're wife says you look like you have lost, now that means a lot because it usually takes longer for someone who sees you all the time to notice a loss.

The fibre in chicken is a joke right? cause if not I hate to say no fibre in those birdies - unless you eat the feathers.

Try some of the phsyillium Capsules or Flax Seed that people recommend.

#6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 07:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Congratualtions! You've already lost 77 pounds. You've learned to eat healthier and make better choices.

Now it's time for one more lesson....

You can't WILL weight away. You can't THINK it away. It will go away when everything in your body is at the right balance. The biggest lesson to learn is that we don't have complete control over the rate of our weight loss. The best we can do is guide our bodies in the right direction. The rest is up to mother nature, body chemistry and biology.

Once you learn that lesson, you'll be a lot more comfortable with what happens, and more importantly WHEN it happens. Just because we are on a "diet" doesn't mean there will be weight/inches lost every day. The body is a complicated machine like an automobile, and unfortunately, we don't have the keys. All we have is the roadmap.