Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/233/195
BF:34%
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Beta blockers

I take Atenolol, a Beta Blocker which not only controls my Blood Pressure but also my Irregular Heat Beat. I am reluctant to go off it as it works very well.

Dr Atkins in his book discourages the use of beta blockers. Will the continued use of this affect my rate of weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It might, but don't just stop taking it without first talking to your doctor. There are some medications that can produce serious, even fatal, side effects if they are discontinued abruptly.
If you need this medication and there isn't an acceptable substitute that won't block weight loss, that doesn't mean that weight loss is impossible. I just might be a lot slower than you'd like.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:14
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I take (took) a betablocker when I started Atkins. I didn't lose but it was because I also had low thyroid. I have irregular heartbeat also and doing the lowcarb was the best thing in the world. It got rid of about 70% of arrythmias I had and decreased the severity to the point that I don't usually take it anymore.

The betablocker works on the beta cell in your pancreas and causes you to release more insulin. I think the effect on your weight loss is dependent on your dose and how reactive your pancreas is.

Be careful when you start atkins, you lose a lot of fluids in the beginning and that can trigger arrythmias. I do better gradually lowering my carbs than jumping down to 20.

good luck Nancy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 20:17
Registered Member

Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%

I too was on a beta blocker for heart rate control, but my cardiologist agreed that I could go off of it to see if my weight loss could improve. He told me how to wean myself off of atenolol, and I've not suffered any ill effects yet. I think it has helped to some extent, but my weight loss is so slow still that I'm beginning to wonder if my thyroid is out of whack! I've been on Atkins faithfully for 6 months and have lost only 10 pounds. I am a short person and I think calories do count to some degree--when I eat over 1500 calories a day, I stop losing altogether and have sometimes gained. Other wise I have stuck to 20 carbs a day and the Atkins program.
The good news is that my triglycerides, which were very high, have been cut in half to a nearly normal level and I really do feel better eating low carb. However, I would love to see more weight loss. Next step is to get my thyroid checked I guess!
Brenta
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 20:50

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

I'm on Atenolol too. It is frustrating to think that something so important for our health could also be hindering weight loss.

I know that I was on Atkins for 5 months and only lost 15 lbs...(All in the 1st 3 weeks...then nothing) but, all my blood work was so improved and I felt better too. But, stupidly, I went off it...regained the 15 plus 5 more. I'm back on it again and hopefully will stick with it!

I'm hoping if I can lose enough I can start cutting back on the medication and eventually go off it. My problem is the fast heart beat....something other BP medications don't address..so my Dr. won't just switch me. But she said she'd work with me....So, we'll see.

Maybe it won't have a big effect on your weight loss...hopefully, it won't.

It seems to be the only thing I can find to blame my low weight loss...since I really did stick to all the rules...but, I'm over 50 ...and have yo-yo-ed dieted since I was 30....So, there's probably lots of reasons......I've just got to stick with this WOE forever, if I can!

But for goodness sakes, don't just stop taking it! That could have disastrous results! Hang in there! It may come off slower...maybe not. But, you'll feel better!