Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 22:14

Plan: Atkins, PP, locarb in general
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default excess skin

Hello there. Here's a loaded question...What happens to the saggy skin when you lose the weight. Does your skin shrink with your stomach, thighs, hips, etc.? If you are losing weight (Fat) so quickly won't your skin just hang on you? If it does, how do you correct it? Of course I haven't had that problem yet ...but I am anticipating the fact!! Mary L.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 05:23
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Some people have that problem. Exercise will help tone up skin, you get get firming lotions and time will also help. I seem to remember a thread that talked about brushing the skin. Here is one thread on the subject:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ushing+AND+skin
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:38

BF:
Smile Brushing skin?

Hey, thanks for the information! I didn't know you could brush skin! Have to look up than one. Does sound logical though. If you brush teeth and hair to make them shine why not skin!!! Must be healthy too, getting rid of all those dead cells. And, all those little bumps you get all over the back of your arms... I'll have to go out and buy a new "skin" brush. Can't wait to try it. Mary Lacz.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 18:05
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24

More than happy to help! I hope it works-you will have to report back in a few weeks and let me know.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Post Skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

There are many threads on this subject. Happily, it concerns many of us. Here's another link to follow:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=86057

As I said, there are plenty more. Try using the search function and see what you find.

Good luck!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 22:01

BF:

Donald WOW I'm so impresed with your stats. Congratulations. I'm not too sure about using the computer much. Rather timid in that department and also don't have too much time to get on here. I'm slowly getting more confidence. Next time I get on without the kids kicking me off I'l play around with the search button. (is that what you called it?) Anyway ... Thanks for the site. that one wasn't too hard lol!

Keep up the good work! You are truly an inspiration! mary L
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 08:09

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Hiya Lac,

I was going to say there is alot of info out there on the subject but as you can see there are some helpful links that have been supplied to you.

I was fearful of that as well. I lost quite a bit of weight and stopped induction and moved past OWL to maintain my weight, while I toned and exercised.

I am now back to induction to lose the rest of my weight.

I say as long as your losing an average of 1-2 pounds a week and exercising that you won't have much to worry about.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 16:28

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I went to the Body Shop today to buy a brush, and the woman there gave me a big line about how I can't use the brush by itself, and soap or shower gel won't do either, it has to be used with an exfoliant. I told her that I had heard it was to be used dry, but she kept saying that I would tear my skin if I did it that way. She tried to sell me a $25 salt scrub, which on top of the brush is way more than I wanted to spend on this endeavor. Luckily someone else came in and while she was talking to them about lotions I left. The worst part is, my hands stink from the greasy tester jar she thrust at me. I washed them four times and they still smell. I'm going to have to wear gloves to make dinner!

Was there anything to this, or was this woman just trying to sell more merchandise? I looked up "brushing skin" online and found a bunch of pages, all of which recommended dry brushing. I also found plenty of recipes for salt scrubs, which I will make myself if an exfoliant really is necessary. I bet it would smell better anyway. I think I'll get the brush from Bed Bath & Beyond, the saleswoman was so pushy at the Body Shop.

--Sarah
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:17
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well, my skin hasn't torn, and I've been dry brushing for a few weeks now. You don't have to push hard on your skin, just moderately firm. The brush I bought isn't a super stiff bristle, but kind of stiff/flexible. But it really does take off all those dead skin cells, and I feel all tingly afterwards. I brush after my workout, before I get in the shower, and I use one of those net "puffs" with body wash on it in the shower. Then I follow it up with a good body lotion when I get out. My skin is looking firmer and softer already, and I haven't even lost much weight yet. I'm hoping it will help keep me firm and prevent as much sagginess as possible as I continue to lose! P.S. I am doing weight training every day too, which I'm sure is helping with the firming.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:41

BF:

Hey Wendy and Sara!
I found a brush - just a plain one - and started brushing. A friend told me to dry brush and always in the direction of your heart. So it would be from your fingertips toward your shoulder; toes toward you hips and always as much as you are able toward your heart.
\
I haven't been too faithful, like as in every day, but maybe 3 or 4 times a week. And, yes, I can see a definite improvement in all those little bumps that are dissappearing/ So, thanks for all those tips. Im curious about the salt rubs so I will go look for them when I get off here. Mary Lacz.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:16

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 330/190/170
BF:
Progress: 88%
Unhappy Saggin Skin

I have lost 107 pounds since Aug 2 and 140 since this time last year... I am VERY saggy!! I have noticed that it is starting to shrink up. i am only going to do the plan I am on for another 20 pounds and then switch to Atkins or something like that for the rest of my life, I guess. I decided that getting to 170 would be good for now.. I am sure I will lose atleast 15 pounds while I continue to shrink... What does not shrink will get cut!!!!

I made up a webpage showing my loss through pics, measurements and what not. It also has the plan I am following and have been following since Aug.

Please check it out

~MY Low Carb Life~

Thanks!!
Robin
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 01:24

BF:

WOW ROBINMARIE WOW congratuations!

I am so impressed by your success! I greatly admire your perseverence. You are an inspiration to all of us.!

I never heard of the stillman diet. (One of the few I haven't) It seems like the zone diet limiting fat. Is that so? I am at a standstill right now. Was looking to apply "eat right for your blood type" diet to the lowcarbing and since I am an O blood type I can easily apply the principles. Let you know how it turns out.

Again CONGRATULATIONS!! mARY lACZ