Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/220/190
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Feeling nauseous and headaches.

Hi, my wife has been on the atkins for 2 weeks and has lost 1st and 1lb. So far so good. Unfortunately, she is sufferin from daily nausea coming on around 10.00 a.m (we breakfast at around 6.30 a.m. and lunch at around 12.30 a.m.) She also gets occasional headaches as well which she rarely gets. We were vegetarian and intend to be after the induction is over. Does anyone have any ideas why she might be feeling so low and grim.
Many thanks Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm clueless, but I'm wondering if it's a psychological or physical reaction to eating meat when she's not used to it. If so (and since you plan to go back to vegetarianism soon), perhaps she should attempt this transition soon. Though it takes some creativity, I think there are numerous people doing a vegetarian low carb on this forum. Good luck with it... seems hard to me.

Of course, her generally gross feeling could be a lack of supplementation. What kinds of vitamins are you taking? A good potassium supplement (as well as calcium and magnesium) can take away some of the Induction "blahs". Your body loses a lot of these minerals during all the water and weight loss.

That's just my two cents. I hope she starts feeling better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:07

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

According to Dr. Atkins

During Induction, a small percentage of people get withdrawal symptoms, which may include headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, muscle cramps or irritability. If this happens to you, increase your intake of vegetables for several days. But as soon as your withdrawal symptoms have abated, go back to consuming no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day. Withdrawal rarely lasts more than four or five days. Or, if your weight continues to come off, you may stay at that level until you are ready to move to a higher level of carb consumption and slow down your weight loss. If you can ride out the symptoms, they should disappear within four or five days. Be sure you are drinking enough water and take a supplement that contains magnesium, calcium and potassium.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're planing on going back to being a vegetarian, spare yourself the pain of induction and forget about Atkins or most low-carb diets. You'll be missing too many nutriments by that can only be found in meat and fish, which is required in this way of eating.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
Smile

been there done that, not sure what she is eating but one thing that WILL trigger headaches is nitrates if she is eating bacon, ham, sausage etc. I intermittently eat vegetarian just because i like it and I feel good on it. When i started atkins i so overloaded on nitrates and red meat i was sick i had terrible headaches and cramps ect, would have gone off the diet except i was too sick to eat for almost two days. Once i started fixing myself skinless chicken breast w/ a little parmesan and green beans and eating waffels(homemade w/ soy flour and protiens) instead of bacon for breakfast and switched to some celery in cream cheese instead of pork rinds... you get it.. i felt oh so good I am actually enjoying this diet now that i am doing it correctly! wishing her lots of success.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Stats: 315/215/200 Male 5ft. 10in.
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sounds strange I was wondering if you were a caffiene drinker before you started the diet and then cut it out. Thats what happened to me when i completely cut out caffiene I felt horrible so I had to ween myself off of it. If you aren't taking the supplements recommended YOU NEED TO.
Good luck hope you feel better