Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:35

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Project Cold Turkey

THATS IT!! Im throwing out my scale for a month. Anyone want to join me?

All around I see frustration with the scale jumps, and I share in that frustration. If the fat fast taught me anything it taught me that this low-carb thing works.

I jump on that damn scale 3 times a day everyday, and although I consider myself a positive person, as soon as I see the scale jump up....I let that get me down. I let it diminish my confidence in this WOE, I let a number on the scale rule whether I feel successful or not. I let it snicker doubts to me as to whether I will ever be slim.

WHY?!!!!? Why do I let it control my reactions and play victim to it?

I will no longer play games with that frustrating scale!!

This is WHAT I will do.

I will tell the hubby to take the scale with him to work and keep it there for a month.

I will take my measurements, and track my success only by comparison measurements weekly and how clothes fit.

I will take up my exercise with a new commitment and vigor.

I will drink my water and follow my low-carb plan.

I will trust before distrusting that all of this is working.

I will weigh in 30 days from now and only then, to have a true tool to measure my weight loss with!

Does anyone want to do this with me?? If not, I will just do this by myself (I have to, the scale is sabotaging me)..and keep track of this in my journal.

If we do get a small group together we could keep this thread alive with weekly checkins and updates, and see what our situation is a month from now ...and have all of this to look back on for comparison.

If you too are frustrated and wanting to join me in going cold turkey on the scale just chime in, list what your plan is for this upcoming month, get your starting measurements ..or article of clothing used for measuring progress in soon, and we can meet back in a week.

All those that see this after today that want to join up please do...just add 30 days to your start date for your program.

I realise this couldve been posted on the Challenge Board here but Im really not interested in doing this with strangers. Want to stay with the same group of people that Ive shared frustration, uncertainties, support, laughter and cheers with.

Im ready to give this low-carb thing a fair shot. No more magical wishing for the whoosh fairy to appear. Lets do the plan, get our asses moving, drink that water, stay off the scale....and see where all of it really takes us.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:39
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I wish I could but i'm an addict. I can't lose right now and have to know what I do to change things that finally works.

I can't get rid of it because if I cheat and don't see it go up i'm scared I will spiral out of control and gain back every pound!

So I understand where you are coming from but I can't come along with you this time.

Hope you understand.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Good Idea

I get on the scale only once a month. I rely upon how I can get into smaller clothes, how I can move better, how I feel. And I check my weight progress monthly to mark milestones. I think it's silly to be jumping on a scale all the time. Any diet takes time, and you just have to stick with it and be patient.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:48

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%

Lisa, yes I do understand, thanks for the response.

In my case I AM an ADDICT too,and thats WHY I have to do this Its gonna be freaking hard to do but my gut and heart are telling me THIS is the very thing that I have to change to find success.

In my case, if I see the scale go up I have a tendency to lose faith in this program, and want to go off of it and find some chocolate chip cookie dough to snarf down. Doing away with the scale will keep my spirit and momentum up.

We all tick differently tho, and I do understand your fears.

Much love, laughter and success.

BB.

Last edited by butrf1yb1u : Tue, Feb-25-03 at 14:50.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:53
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Butterfly

You are one brave woman
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:15

Stats: 000/000/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm a slave to my scale and I just can't do it. Have you thought about maybe just doing a weekly weigh in? I would think I would get to discouraged doing it on a monthly basis.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 01:13

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 227/204/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default SA Scale Addicts anonymous

I too have fealt victim tothe weighing addiction. Even my scale is inconsistent. My clothes feel looser and even gotten a belt to keep them up. So im going by the notches on my belt from now on. I guess I will weigh again soon but i have to figure out a good plan that works for me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 01:33

Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have a feeling Im losing fat and gaining muscle proportionately.. so my scale doesnt move a whole lot. Sometimes I have to remind myself of my body type.. my body likes to bulk when I feed it mass protein.. and when I forget that and look at the scale sitting in the same area all the time I immediately think "stall".. its aggravating.

I think Im going to do a good body fat analysis soon.. and track that way every couple months.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 01:50

Stats: 137/115/110 Female 5'1"
BF:27%/20%/17%?
Progress: 81%

I know what you guys mean about obsessing about the scale. Getting one of those Tanita scales that calculates body fat and setting a specific "weigh day" have helped me a bit.

One, because the body fat scale is only accurate if you use it under specific conditions (I think it's three hours after exercising and eating, barefoot or nekkid, well-hydrated, bladder empty, etc.). I think they recommend using it in the afternoon, long after lunch but before dinner.

Well, the only time I can really control all that is on the weekends, so I've set Sunday at 5 or 6 pm as my day to weigh and measure. I may sneak onto the scale at other times during the week out of obsession, but whether I'm up or down a few pounds, I remind myself it doesn't matter. It's not accurate since the conditions are not the same. For me, my only official weight is the one I record at 5 pm on Sunday.

Two, the body fat scale has definitely shown that my body fat percentage has gone down since I started this WOE, even though the scale may not always reflect this. Again, it's touchy whether or not the conditions are identical enough each week to make the calculation accurate (a woman's TOM can affect the body fat reading, as can the amount of water you've drank throughout the day, etc.).

BUT...it has very steadily gone down EACH WEEK, even when the scale has been stuck on the same weight for three weeks or more!

Three, I always get out the measuring tape on Sundays, too. Again, even though my scale is stubborn and refuses to budge, my measurements are slowly and steadily going down. You can't argue with that.

I've been exercising, so I know that I have been gaining muscle mass and that is part of the reason the scale hasn't been showing any lost pounds lately.

In brief, my measuring tape and my body fat scale have given me tools to prove that I am making progress, even when my darn regular scale refuses to cooperate. It's a nice backup and it helps me obsess less about poundage.

Ophelia
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

My daughter who is starting second wk said she couldn't stay off the scale. I suggested she put it in a really odd ball place- kind of sight out of mind-somewhere that it takes effort to get it out and put it on the bathroom floor. She thought that was a great idea- she called later to tell me that it is now on the top of her kitchen cupboard cause she never cleans up there. Hmmm, sometimes I wonder about my kids-but oh well-whatever works.
Good luck with yr month!!!!
Jan
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:06

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good luck BB! I'm still weighing once a day b/c I'm not getting too bothered with what I see. It helps for me to see both the ups and downs and that the general trend (albeit slow) is downward. I'm only measuring about once a month. Sorry that I'm not going to do it with you, but I will support you every step of the way.

Yeah! You go girl!

-Cait
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:23
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Red face Funny You Shoud Mention It....

I stashed my scale under my bed this morning! After no loss in about 2 weeks, I'm kicking the scale addiction too! I'm using the "tight pants" method of measuring my losses in the future. I was so disgusted after stepping on the scale yesterday to find that I'm holding strong to this 11 pound loss (in about 4 weeks time)....

I grabbed my old pair of jeans that have been in the closet mocking me for the last six months or so.....zipped 'em right up. It's pretty demoralizing to keep weighing in to no avail. I'm done with that part of this WOL. I will keep eating healthily as I've done in the past 4 weeks and I will succeed.

I have a buddy that I'm doing Atkins with (a man) and of course he's lost a whopping 30 lbs to date. His pants fall off him when he walks across the room now. The scale is kind to him, but not to me. I wish everybody tons of luck and if the scale is kickin' your butt, stash it quick!!!