Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:
Question Stall:(

Hi guys,

I've never posted on here before but I'm always reading stuff to get me motivated but it just seems inevitable now.

i've been on induction for 4-5 weeks now and all was well but since the past 2 weeks ive been stalling on 142.2, i thought my scales batteries were off so i bought a new one but it just wont budge!! i'm drinking plenty of water and don't use any sweetners or sugar substitutes or whatever. i have however been eating garlic, around 2-3 cloves a day but i count the carbs and everything but since its not on the induction food list i'm wondering whether its the culprit! i drink about 2-3 cans of diet coke daily and besides that my diet consists of chicken, salad and cheeses. someone help me please? oh i'm 5'2 and my goal weight is around 120 but right now ill just be happy to go below 140

could someone tell me more about whether my garlic suspicion is wrong or right? thanks xx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 07:12

Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

oh also i dont use any cream because it just stalls me
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 08:19
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainabp

.............. i've been on induction for 4-5 weeks now and all was well but since the past 2 weeks ive been stalling on 142.2, i thought my scales batteries were off so i bought a new one but it just wont budge!! i'm drinking plenty of water and don't use any sweetners or sugar substitutes or whatever. i have however been eating garlic, around 2-3 cloves a day but i count the carbs and everything but since its not on the induction food list i'm wondering whether its the culprit! i drink about 2-3 cans of diet coke daily and besides that my diet consists of chicken, salad and cheeses. someone help me please? oh i'm 5'2 and my goal weight is around 120 but right now ill just be happy to go below 140

could someone tell me more about whether my garlic suspicion is wrong or right? thanks xx

Hi Zaina! Congrats on losing 7.8 pounds. Normally a stall is considered 4+ weeks with no pounds or inches lost. Have you taken your measurements? How do your clothes fit? Are you close to TOM?

Keep in mind the less you have to lose the slower that it seems to come off. Also, if I were you I would stop drinking the diet coke and see of this makes a difference. I don't think it is the garlic since you are counting the carbs.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 09:33

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Are you eating enough fat? What do you dress your salad with?

As stated, you're pretty close to goal, it's going to be harder and slower for you than for those of us with 100+ lbs to go. It could be hormonal, could be the cheese, could be the artificial sweetener in the soda (for your sake I hope it's not that, I don't do well without my diet soda!). I'd up the fat first, then try cutting out the cheese.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 11:14

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Maybe it would be worth posting details of exactly what food you are eating and drinks you are drinking so others can give you some input as to whether there is any known problem there.

List quantities of everything, or if you use one of the food logging websites give a link to your log there - you might need to do something to make the log "public" to allow others to view it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 13:29

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I think given your size and how close you are to your goal ( 20lbs is considered 'close' by most standards ) your 2 options are drastically cutting calories or an IF regime of 23/1.

combining both would be more effective than either alone.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 16:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Stalls should not be determined by your weight measurement alone imo. How have your tape measure readings changed, particularly around your waist? Is it possible for you to do a caliper body fat test? Calipers are cheap and you can use them on yourself with a 3-point test. While it probably won't be perfect, if you do them consistently the same way you can tell at least if you are losing body fat or not.

I do this type of body fat testing on myself using $20 calipers and I'm consistently losing about .5% bf per week even through times when my weight is pretty stable. My inches around my waist and hips have dropped as well during this stable weight period to the point that I'm able to wear pants sizes I haven't worn in over a decade. </just my $.02>

Last edited by beernutz : Mon, Sep-19-11 at 11:12.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 16:41

Plan: low carb high fat
Stats: 146/136/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

I feel your pain. I think I am the only person who hasnt experienced the 'atkins woosh'
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-11, 18:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Not the garlic. Or the Diet Coke IME.

I'm getting closer to goal (and older! 58) and can't lose even on induction level carbs unless I cut calories to 900-1200. Might be worth considering.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 06:09

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

How much cheese? Can you cut back on diet coke?

What a stall often tells us is "How to Maintain at this Weight." But you don't really qualify yet, as pointed out above. This is not a linear process or a spreadsheet. If the body worked that way I could have gotten to goal eating low calorie but I never ever did!

Last winter, cutting carbs worked. This summer, upping my carbs with fruit but being ruthless about no processed food worked. This fall I will be making casseroles and changing it up yet again.

One firm rule that seems to work for me is: NO SNACKING. I eat my two meals a day, and I make it as big as I want, but that is it. Constantly goosing our pancreas with frequent small meals can keep our insulin up.

OR... people have divvied up their daily food into five small meals; because then their pancreas won't do the "mopping up" release which keeps insulin up; and fat locked away.

So I guess this rule is Even Meals. But only experimentation can see which one works for you.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 16:01

Plan: low carb high fat
Stats: 146/136/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
How much cheese? Can you cut back on diet coke?

What a stall often tells us is "How to Maintain at this Weight." But you don't really qualify yet, as pointed out above. This is not a linear process or a spreadsheet. If the body worked that way I could have gotten to goal eating low calorie but I never ever did!

Last winter, cutting carbs worked. This summer, upping my carbs with fruit but being ruthless about no processed food worked. This fall I will be making casseroles and changing it up yet again.

One firm rule that seems to work for me is: NO SNACKING. I eat my two meals a day, and I make it as big as I want, but that is it. Constantly goosing our pancreas with frequent small meals can keep our insulin up.

OR... people have divvied up their daily food into five small meals; because then their pancreas won't do the "mopping up" release which keeps insulin up; and fat locked away.

So I guess this rule is Even Meals. But only experimentation can see which one works for you.

I am going to swap to two meals and see how I go with that. It might help me?? I eat when I am bored and out of habit. If I am honest I have really noticed that i am not hungry on atkins so i could do this if I just break the habit of eating.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-11, 04:44

Stats: 224/207/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Here is something most everyone doesn't talk about. What is the first part of digestion? Chewing your food. I interestingly can break some stalls with eating ground meat. Chili seems to be a great food for me. Maybe you will find a goto food, but I still think something easy like ground meat could be a consideration. Fish also seems to be a good food for me. Not sure if there is scientific evidence that well chewed food is easier to digest than eating in chunks, but it seems to work for me.