Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Kristine, that is so good...writing out the things that are holding you back. I'm going to do that today, just to separate the excuses from the truth. Then I can work on the bad habits.

I KNOW every time I make a LC cheesecake, that I will have WAY too much, then feel guilty about even having it in the house, and will polish the rest of it off.

This is exactly the stuff that will help change those bad habits into good ones... What is the hinderance? How can I remove it? What would be the benefit?

Jay... (The initial 'energy' to do this came from self-disgust as much as anything - not the most constructive reason, though it got things done. )

I can so relate to this...Here's my self-psycho assessment ...see if this hit home for anyone:

it seems that our initial efforts are born out of such self-loathing, that when we finally develop into good mental attitude, momentum in our progress...that we reach a place where we are no longer "hating" ourselves...we're proud and content and self-caring.

I think the coming around to self-love is often a barrier...we get "cocky" and somewhat satisfied with our efforts, and then we kind of begin to like ourselves. Well, we've already associated our losing weight/progress with self-hate...so now we have a conflict. And the progress stops...and we have to bring ourselves to a level of disgust with ourselves again to get it kicked into gear. This is another conflict... LC'ing and progressing and these boards, etc. have all made us committed to self-love... and around and around we go again.

For me, it's mind clutter. Need some "Braino" (a term I use in my group to "un-clog" that clutter and confusion ) ... For me, it's writing or talking it out with a good listener. Most people can't keep it in the head, or it does'nt go away. Which is why these boards are so therapuetic for us!

I think I will start with the exercise Kristine has done...that is clarity. It isn't "motivation" per se, but it clears the pathway when the drive kicks in. The motivation has to be self-love... and I'm still working on that one, Jay. Still thinking hard about it... not that I haven't found a comfortable place about myself, but like I said, I'm too comfortable I think...and in conflict.

Let's all just keep holding hands... One at a time, we'll break through and start pulling each other across that line too.

Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 08:17

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Could you send me a virtual a$$ kicking, please???

If you could just read my journal entry for Feb 23/24th, you'll see why!!

Thanks in advance!
Nicole
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Nikki... That ought to do it! Feel better???

I read through your carb binge in your journal...and in between chuckles I was thinking of how you've already done enough a$$ kickin' on yourself! Good going on the new start!

But I have some possible comfort for you... it's very likely that you may get away with it on the scale, and it may even shake up your system a bit so that when you do stay on strict induction (don't make it so strict that you get disgusted...)

I have been there... in the earlier days at the Hometown Buffett...oh Lord, don't get me started. Not only did I make a pig out of myself on the ribs, but the warm peach cobbler was my glory moment. The dessert bowls were too small for me...I put mine in a soup bowl...this way I only went the the dessert section once!

And the food was CRAP!!! I'm over those things now...6 months or so...not even tempted, doesn't even interest me. I came back from a 5 days cruise without touching one dessert, potato or piece of bread. Just plain didn't want it. Lost a few that week too...

You'll get to that point too...stay the course and keep repeating to yourself how you didn't even enjoy the junk!!

#64   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:02
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy So fustrated today

I weighed myself Sunday and I'm four pound heavier than a week ago. I'm still on Induction and I'm not eating eggs or dairy.
I'm so bummed. I was told my body would take a while to get back on the low carb wagon but I wish I knew how much longer. I lost 4lbs the first week and gained it back the second. Fustrating. Has any of you tried induction over and over?
Thanks. Am I just punishing my body?
I'm worrying today and I'm sure the fact my TOM is late (no, I have been with no one for over two years). So thats adding to mind set.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

A hug for Kassie ... and a butt-whoopin for Nicole as per request.

Kassie, I don't think you're punishing yourself by going back to (or staying on) induction, as long as you're eating good, nutritious food, taking your suppies, and as long as you're not "abusing" induction yo-yo style, making up for cheats or something like that. I can understand your worry over TOM, because all of our hormones seem to be related, including insulin.

Donna: I hear you on the old days of buffets! I didn't care how *horrible* I felt afterward, I was determined to maximize on the opportunity. We used to go to a place called Bonanza, and it was similar to Ponderosa: you order an entree, but you also have the buffet. *Way* more food than any normal human being should be able to eat. And you're right: it wasn't even that good!

--

Okay, a minor success for me: I'm cruising into the second half of my cycle with *zero* symptoms. My face is even clear. That's a good thing for me: on a bad month, I'd be in agony right about now and for the next two weeks.

I made it though my shift at work with zero cheating, but I'll give proper credit where it's due - I have a sinus infection and my cold pills are killing my appetite and keeping my mouth so dry, all I can do is drink water and chew gum. Still, I'll take any minor victory.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%

you gals are awesome! the way you analize and rethink what you are doing. I NEED TO DO THAT!!!!!

i have felt great the last 2 months, even though i havent lost a d**n pound! i walk 3-4 times a week, using hand weights, and drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. some weeks i make lc desserts and some weeks i dont. some weekends i have wine, and some i dont.

i use fitday, and the numbers usually look pretty good. the only thing i know is to keep persevering, tweaking and making better choices. alot depends on what i cook, and i go in spurts. so......onwards!

what other choice do we have???????????
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 20:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yay for not losin but keepin strong! Come on folks, we don't need to lose WEIGHT! Oh yeah... wait a sec, but we do want to lose weight. Wrong forum.

Speaking of carb creep, I made HUGE peanut butter cups yesterday. Geez. I was planning to go to the gym and have a protein drink and apple after workout... but since I skipped it to have more time and energy to do the paper due tomorrow that I STILL haven't started, I had a 200 calorie peanut butter cup instead! My carbs are only at 27 ECC for the day but MAN do I feel like an oinker.

I need to write my paper! INSPIRE ME, buddies. Is anybody a procrastinator? It's such a curse.

Wish me luck!

Angela
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 01:40

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

OOWWWW/!!!!

Thanks, I needed that!

Back in gear today--yes, I'm a procrastinator, too (about some things-like housework and WOE changes), but getting better!

ttfn,
Nicole
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Oh Lord...am I a procastinator?

Angela, I have written 10 page papers the night before they were due!! Who knows where that comes from?? I just attended a training session on some tips for procastinators... I'm going to start retraining my thinking.

BTW, my kitchen sinks, counter and stove.... that one little glass that I'll rinse out later....OMG...you'd think it was Thanksgiving night. And I live alone!

Well...I weighed 169 this morning, however I believe that will adjust later to 167 since I ate so late last night...that's been the usual case anyway. But that is still a gain of 2 pounds recently.

NEW ATTITUDE is one of the things this thread is about, no?

Here's what I'm NOT going to do: I'm not going to whine about how I have to get stricter...I'm not going to go back to the beginning... I'm not going to feel defeated, guilty or hopeless...I'm not going to run down the list of newbie questions to see why I'm not peeing purple...

I'm just going to begin today with a meal plan, first. My breakfast, lunch and snacks will be planned ahead of time and I will take them with me to school, along with a large water bottle and my vitamins. I'm going to hold my head up high, feel good about myself and my progress so far...I'm going to be conscious of my posture and how I hold in my stomach and hold back my shoulders...

I'm going to realize that I am no longer 260 pounds...that I am in a size 10, not a 20...I'm going to thank God for my health, for finding a plan that finally helped change my life, for my friends and family, all my blessings...and for a brand new day.

I believe that LOTS of positive will turn around a LITTLE bit of negative. So I'm going to let the weight issue adjust itself around my internal changes. I'm believing that the external behaviors will follow the internal attitude...

What do you think? I'll concentrate on this for today and will report later... if anyone else does, please report how your day went too...before ong, maybe we'll find the answer around here somewhere!

#70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:46

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Donna, that sounds great! I need to stop being obsessive, personally. I barely though about what I was eating before this WOE and now I track every last detail? I dunno. There's a difference between being healthy and prepared and being psycho-overprepared. I get psycho overprepared sometimes.

I've written ten page papers the night before too. My paper's done, by the way... with a few hours to spare. It sucks, but whatever.

My focus:
Cook and prepare!
Always bring food (I can save TONS of $$ this way)
Exercise like ya mean it
Stop putting my cute little body down
and best of all....
save up for NEW CLOTHES!

I need new pants like mad. The pairs I can still wear are loose and roomy (you wouldn't believe how my thighs have changed).

Anyway, my main focus is not on carbs. I actually have that under control, as do a lot of us it seems, even though this is the "carb creep" thread. We need to focus on living our lives being happy with our health and bodies!

Angela
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 16:03

Default I LIKE IT!

Donna and Angela,
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I really think you guys are on to something here. FOCUS on all the positive changes that we have made! count our blessings that we have found a way to eat, and lose weight AND feel great doing it! look were we came from! i was 208 5 years ago. we are on the right track.

i really liked the thought about exercising like you mean it! WOW! so many times.........i just drag my bum around the gym, but then i think, gosh, an hour ago i was on the COUCH!

keep on!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 17:02
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Donna...

Looking forward to hearing how your "experiment" went! I think it is a great idea...I also think it is very hard to do!

~Michelle
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:25
Registered Member

Well, I don't think I've lost any weight from this morning until now, but I'll be darned if I don't feel better !! Will ask the almighty scale in the morning...

Yes, it is hard to keep your spirits up when you have to put effort into it...that's why I just wanted to choose things that put me into the "motions" at least. Kind of starts you on to new habits...I have to watch my posture anyway, I need to be more thankful, and this obsession about carbs needs to relax a bit so that the PRINCIPLE about LC'ing can become natural and permanent.

Yeah, yeah...I know... it's a task. And it won't happen overnight, but the body WILL respond to the mind... there's science for that!

(And Scripture too. )

#74   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 20:56

Hi Donna and Michelle,

Gotta keep on! I am lowering my calories for a while to see if that helps. i know i can maintain.....but thats not my goal right now. i also got the "walk away the pounds" tape with leslie sansone, so no excuses for the days i cant get down to the gym to walk, right?

i had 12 waters today, and my carb/protein/fat ratio looked pretty good. hope you guys did good too!

hang on!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 21:37

Stats: 116/110/58
BF:
Progress:
Default Reflux and indigestion

Just in response to the mention of reflux - I used to get heaps of reflux and some indigestion problems before starting Atkins. I've only had it once and that was really my fault.

I creep with lots of decaf and cream, and too many reaches into the nut bag. I think I like snacking.