Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:54
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question YoYoing with Atkins

Has anyone done Atkins and lost a chunk of weight but got off. Then started again only to find the weight doesn't come off as fast or even not at all?
I'm trying to be patient, I really am. But I'm worried so thus this question. Is there a time your body has to be in Ketosis before it will start the weight loss?
My allergist told me that I may not lose the weight at first do to eating food I was intolerent to but after a month I should lose some weight. Its been two weeks so I'm hoping he's right.
Anyone with experience know if this is so?
Thanks... Please relieve my mind.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Hiya Lessara!!

I started Atkins April of 2001, and when I lost a good portion of my weight, I went to the last phase so I did not have any more weight loss until I toned and firmed up a little. Figured I'd come back for the rest of my weight loss later on.

I then returned to induction and have had almost no results. I'm not sure what my body is doing. Ketosis and all.

I am slowly fine tuning my induction to see what will give me the jump start I need.

What foods are you intolerant too exactly? The book covers alot of those bases.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 14:27
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

This might give you some insight into repeat low-carb dieting:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/goldenshot.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 14:51

BF:
Talking

YIKES!!

I never went off Atkins, just off induction. DANG!! I better hear opportunity knocking again soon.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Oh wow!

After I read that article I got upset. I feel like I blew it big time. For you see, low carbing is the best for my health. There is no question to that in my mind and my doctor, he is surprised and thrilled to find a plan for me that actually helps "cure" my other illnesses such as skin problems, and asthma.
So I need to stay low carb to retain these benifits. But if I can't lose weight on this, where can I go? No other plan as ever worked for me.

Ok. So I'm at the beginning of a long tunnel, I do see a speck of light at the end but the distance that I will be traveling is daunting. How do I lower my carbs without jeopodizing my veggies? What do I use for my breakfast if I leave out my shake? I can't eat cheese or eggs! Meat is just too expensive for all my meals. I know these are things I have to work out to succeed.
I also need to add more exercise too, but I'm nervous about that. The last time I went to the gym regularly, I gained weight! I have muscles its just that when I exercise my muscles become sponges! I know I have to cut out sweetners until I start to lose, I don't drink sodas so that's easy. I don't drink coffee either. I drink caffiene free Red tea with no carbs.
I've already learned to drink the red tea without splenda.
I also can drink decaf coffee, once in a while, without splenda.
I don't smoke or drink so that issue is gone as well.
So my mind thinks I should be losing... but the scale and tape measure says different.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:06

BF:
Talking

How about a nice veggie stiry fry for breakfast? You can make that the night before. Enough for two days or so.

There is a great recipe here for breakfast meatballs. Sausage and ground beef. It makes alot and you can freeze them too.

I'll keep thinking...I know you can do this, it is a small hump to get over, you have come too far to worry now.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:22
Registered Member

Stats: 200/186/160 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

You really have to give it some time. I know there is a lot of hype about how much weight pople lose in a week on this diet. But those are the exceptions not the rules. You have to be patient.

Keep doing the induction and drink a ton of water. That is an essential thing. Water is the only thing that counts for your water per day. The experts say you need at least 1/2 you body weight in ounces. Just stay by a pottie.

I used to work out in a gym as well. I know what you mean about the muscles. The trainers all think that everyone wants to bulk up. They train you to use the machines and free weights and all that good stuff. Try doing the free weight movements without the weights. Concentrate on the muscle you are working. This will help to firm you without adding bulk.

Keep your spirits high. It will work.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:27
Registered Member

Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I too am one of those returning to Atkins after having lost all my weight 4 or 5 years ago. It has been unbelievably hard. I basically didn't loose anything over a 7 week period without cheating! The last 4 days I've been doing the Atkins fat fast( you can get the details on the Atkins site). I am loosing 1 lb or so per day so it really has perked me up! Not sure if you are ready to go that route or not but just thought I'd give my two cents worth. It really has been a lift for me. There is also a very lengthy thread....frustrated......now fat fast......There might be some info there also.
Good luck and this is the WOL!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 290/290/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

i also lost a lot of weigh with this before but cant seem to do so this time. however my biggest question is that my little sticks are purple so i should be in ketosis.

any advice
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 06:39
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Hello again

Flossie, purple strips can also mean lack of water (2 liters + 8oz per extra weight you have) or you had meals with extra fat in it (which isn't that bad, but can be misleading) so be careful of your results.

Good news and Bad news. Looks like weight loss isn't going to be a 1-2 a week thing. Its going to be like a rollar coaster. a week of nothing, a week of maybe gaining, and a week of losing alot. its not an even sort of thing. This week I lost 4-5 lbs and while its a thrill I'm nervous. So I decided to stop worrying. I'm just going to stick to Induction, keep track of my weight for the month or 6 weeks and see what "pattern" , if any, comes up.

If anyone is restarting Atkins or has restarted a few more times than that. Drop by my journal, we'll chat