Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 20:12

Plan: schwartbein principle
Stats: 148.5/139/126
BF:35%
Progress: 42%
Unhappy initially feeling worse???

I just did the Atkins induction for 2 1/2 weeks, and became so weak I could hardly walk . I switched to the Schwarzbein method, which has 75 grams of carbs in a day and as much fat/protein as you are hungry for. I'm able to go to work now, but I still feel lousy. Fatigued and weakened, emotionally and physically. Schwarzbein says you may feel worse for quite a while (even months for some people) until your body adjusts.

My questions for you is: Does the Zone method have an initial period of feeling worse like that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 23:48

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: initially feeling worse???

Quote:
Originally posted by BethanyM
Schwarzbein says you may feel worse for quite a while (even months for some people) until your body adjusts.
My questions for you is: Does the Zone method have an initial period of feeling worse like that?

It can take up to two weeks for the body to rid itself of arachidonic acid which may cause headaches. Most people to not experience anything negative while their body rids itself of AA, much less anything to the extent you've described, in fact, most people report feeling great almost immediately.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 06:32

Plan: schwartbein principle
Stats: 148.5/139/126
BF:35%
Progress: 42%

Thank you for both your answers, Zonecoach. I know what happened to me wasn't typical, but it was quite serious. I've continued my research, and believe it was due to the more extreme high fat and 20 gram carb Atkins induction I was on. A book called Life without Bread, which recommends around 75 grams carb, talks about the dangers of extreme lo carbing too quickly for some people -- it can stimulate autoimmune problems among other things, which is what I think happened with me. I'm concerned that people are only looking at cardiovascular dangers, HDL level,s etc. and not addressing some other possible dangers of Atkins for some of us. I've been off it and doing Schwarzbein's 75 carbs/day for a week, and I started feeling better yesterday. I think I'm okay for now - through the crisis.

Anyhow, I consider the Zone to be more "balanced" rather than "low". That's probably why people don't have that hard transition. Something sounds right about that to me, but I don't want to make any more changes for my poor body for a while. I will consider switching to the zone in the near future.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 21:53

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally posted by BethanyM
Anyhow, I consider the Zone to be more "balanced" rather than "low".

I believe that as well.
Quote:
I've been doing Schwarzbein's 75 carbs/day for a week, and I started feeling better yesterday. I will consider switching to the zone in the near future.

I'm glad you're feeling better. IMHO, 75gC/day is still too low, but if it's working for you, great! Do you feel you have mental clarity, focus and energy throughout your waking hours?