Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Juice

Hi my sister is considering starting atkins. But she is doesn't want to give up her cranberry juice she has one cup at breakfast. Do any of you drink any kind of juice? Could you let me know then I can pass that info along to her. I know it has to be carb loaded. But she really hates to give it up. I told her probably wouldn't work but thought I'd check it out for her anyway. Thanks Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:43

Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%

No fruit juice...at least not while on induction. No fruits at ALL, for that matter. After the first 2-3 days, she won't crave that juice anyway. If she can make it past those first few days, she is home free.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:51

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default No Juice!

Sorry, she has to let that juice go. lol Atkins will not work with sugar, fruit and fruit juices.

I want to say that Ive seen cranberry juice sweetened with sucralose. That should be just fine, but Im not positive, hopefully you'll get answers to that from the more seasoned low-carbers on this board.

Will she compromise and drink the splenda sweetened juice? I love splenda and think it tastes great.

Much love, laughter, success.
BB
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:22

BF:
Default Found this

#5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:25
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I love cranberry juice too but the rules are no fruit on Induction. Sowwy.

red
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:34

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

... funny, never really liked it... now that i cannot have it... i kind of want it....

But i don't think about it much!!!
ha!

Take CAre,

M
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 00:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I know it has to be carb loaded. But she really hates to give it up.

And she won't hate giving up everything else that's carb loaded?

I'm going to sound like a big party pooper meanie here, but if she doesn't want to give up one glass of juice to change her whole life around, then she's not ready for it.

She may be able to fit in pure, unsweetened cranberry juice that's diluted with water and artificially sweetened in the future. But by then, she probably won't even want it!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 13:40
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
And she won't hate giving up everything else that's carb loaded?

I'm going to sound like a big party pooper meanie here, but if she doesn't want to give up one glass of juice to change her whole life around, then she's not ready for it.

She may be able to fit in pure, unsweetened cranberry juice that's diluted with water and artificially sweetened in the future. But by then, she probably won't even want it!

Karen

I have to agree with you Karen. She was drilling me yesterday about what I eat. She thinks it's all to strict. But I told her that the stuff you give up is juke your body doesn't use anyway! I guess that's why it stored on our bodies as fat, right? I've told her a dozen times since I started this three weeks ago. " You will never look at food the same way again!" I know I never will. I'll keep encouraging her. Maybe she'll come around. If its going to work for her it has to be a plan she is comfortable with. Thanks for all the replies. Ellen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 14:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Juice....even 100% juice, is concentrated fruit sugars. Think about it....one glass of orange juice is the equivalent of eating 5 or 6 whole oranges without the benefit of the fiber to slow down the absorbtion of the sugars.
One cup of unsweetened cranberry juice has 13 grams of carb. One cup of Ocean Spray Cranberry juice cocktail has 34 grams of carb. Even the sugar-free or "light" versions have between 10 and 13 grams of carb per 8 oz. serving; way too high for induction; that's more than half of your daily carb allowance in one little glass of juice! OTOH...if she could be happy with 4 ouces of the sugar free or light version, it might be doable during ongoing weight loss or maintainance.
I have to agree with the rest. If she's having a fit about giving up one high carb thing, how is she going to feel about giving up the rest of them? And...if she feels that is too strict, then perhaps she isn't ready to make the kinds of changes necessary just yet or she needs to find a plan that is more moderate on carb limits.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 14:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Maybe she'll come around.

What I would do is have her over for fabulous low carb feasts on a regular basis and not preach about the perils of carbs.

I have non low-carbers over for dinner and they never say boo about the lack of bread on the table. In fact, they're eager to come back because low-carb food is just so durned good!

When she sees your success with low carbing, she'll probably change her mind!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:41

BF:
Default pssst.

ocean

spray

light

cranberry