Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:
Default a few oddball questions

O.k. I have been on Atkins for a little while now and I still feel like I am trying to get to know the ropes but I am experiencing some things that may or may not be normal and I want opinions please. One question is kind of gross i suppose so for the faint of heart don't read past the top. lol.

I want to know if the following is normal during induction. Faint feeling and headaches and the clincher.........

uhm, my urine has started to absolutley REEK. and I mean bad, is that normal or even a good thing? Told ya it was gross!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:04

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Totally normal. Just means you are in ketosis. You may also notice bad breath. It is just your system burning fat. So, may seem weird but it is actually good news.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:10

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Hahaha

I heeded the warning but plunged ahead anyway, cuz Im brave like that

Yes everything you are going through is normal. How long have you been on Atkins? After some time its different for everyone those headaches should subside and you should get a surge of energy. Have you gotten the appetite supressing yet? Great isnt it?

As for the um (whisper...strongly stenching pee) try drinking tons more water...it helps a lot. Bout how much do you drink in a day? I take in anywhere from 120oz to 170oz( Im thirsty all the time) and its taken away this problem for me outside of my first morning pee.

Who needs Coast soap to wake up in the morning, we come supplied with our own morning eye opener. LOL!

Much success to you, hang in there.
BB.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:16

BF:
Progress:

OMG BB!!!! ROFL!!!! I cannot quit laughing, you have a great sense of humor.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am drinking at least the minimum of 8 but after that I don't really count, I just keep drinking water till I feel like I am gonna float away. I'm trying to make that the main beverage for awhile cause I am really, really bad about water especially if I have other beverages within reach.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:33

BF:
Default AWWWWWWWWW

hehe I like you too. ~bats eyes~

Hope your headaches and feeling faint ease up soon, a mother of 4 needs her energy. It really is a good sign ...the symptoms, they show that you are detoxing.

Keep us posted.

How old are your kids btw? I have two boys, 5yrs and 9 months.

Ttyl,
BB.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:34
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi everyone!

You are funny BB. I like your posts.

1busy, I have the headaches, lightheaded, heavyheaded, cloudy feeling. I drink lots of water between 4.5-5 litres.

I need a ketostix will get them tomorrow. I lost 2 lbs since I have been on (don't laugh they count )

red
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:59

BF:
Progress:

Red- you are probably doing better than I am!!!! I dunno, I was so depressed at the weight the dr gave me the other day that I hav'nt had the courage to even think about looking again. I'm having a hard time finding the strips to be able to test. I am so glad the dr. suggested I try Atkins, though.

BB- I actually have 2 children and 2 step children. SDD-6, DS-4, SDS-4 (they are 3 months apart) and DD-3, she is exactly almost the day one year younger than her brother (and no me and exh did not plan that way she was a huge suprise!)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 00:22

BF:

Red ......my nachos(porkrinds) were nasty...I couldnt eat it. How can ya mess up nachos? Put BB in the kitchen! lol. Give us some time we will be awesome low-carb chefs. Okay , maybe you will.

Wow, Busy , your name really does says it all. Hey ...I found some keto sticks at Wal-Mart...they are called Thinz ..think they were about 14 dollars for 25 strips. They were over in the pharmacy area, next to the pathetic lil lowcarb section of Carb Solutions and Atkins Bars. I'll tell you tho if your pee be stinkin you are releasing ketones. haha

Gawd I really need to go to bed.

Nite you two, happy and thin dreams,
BB.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 00:30

BF:
Default oh btw

Thanks Red for the compliment. I enjoy your posts also and go searching for them everyday. Congrats on your 2 pound loss.

Sheesh, Im gonna be talking to low-carbers in my sleep lol.

Tired.

Nite.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 05:43
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Re: a few oddball questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 1busymomma

I want to know if the following is normal during induction. Faint feeling and headaches and the clincher.........

uhm, my urine has started to absolutley REEK. and I mean bad, is that normal or even a good thing? Told ya it was gross!!!

Withdrawal symptoms can be relieved by taking a multivitamin every day, a calcium/magnesium supplement 600/300 twice a day, and if you are not on blood pressure medication you can take additional potassium either in pill form or in Nu-Salt or Half-Salt.

I've been drinking a gallon of water a day and my pee still stinks. Oh well, don't have to waste money on sticks!

Beth